Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

• RMweb Gold

Very well deserved accolades Dave.

You are my blue diesel guilty pleasure and looking at your layout instantly transports me to that freezing morning with my camera in Princes Gardens....

The layout is a brilliant piece of modest-space design and modelling. A great concept and superb execution.

Plus from a modelling perspective you are clearly a very able all-rounder who can kit bash stock, paint, scratch build, lay track, cope with electrics and operate realistically.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback! It really is a pleasure to post on here.

I actually managed a couple of hours of modelling today, so I thought I'd have a go at my first BOC tank wagon. These really are lovely wagons, beautifully detailed despite their apparently simple design, and the printing on them has to be seen to be believed.

I have now completed the first one. This one will become part of my Speedlink rake. It actually turned out to be harder to weather than most wagons, as the white livery shows up every imperfection. They often seemed to be pretty clean, but there tended to be a subtle coating of grime on the tanks themselves and the various seams always seemed to attract a certain amount of dirt.

I was eventually happy with the way this one turned out, but it took a lot longer than I expected and completing a rake of them looks like it is going to take a little while.

Here is the first one, completed today...

post-7247-0-31534400-1548530445_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-55619300-1548530522_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-84229800-1548530529_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-96068100-1548530545_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-14008800-1548530565_thumb.jpg

Also under way now is a little extra project - two inspection saloons, one to be put into ScotRail livery (of course) and the other into InterCity. I picked these up cheaply a while ago and have been wanting to do them for some time.

I was wondering whether Bachmann might have announced the saloon in at least one of these liveries. They did after all announce Large Logo 47711, early ScotRail Mk 2s, 37012 and the ScotRail BG, all of which can already be found on WW (albeit 37012 is in white stripe livery, not large logo). 

This is the current state of progress...

post-7247-0-32294000-1548530690_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

For me, WW is the most inspiring model I’ve ever seen. Yes, I’ve been to Miniature Wonderland and Pendon, but Waverley West is such a good model of a scene I remember well. Great to see you winning awards, you deserve them.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Not much to report at the moment, although work is continuing on the two inspection saloons, with the dark executive grey currently being sprayed.

In anticipation of more progress, here's a recent video showing some of WW's McDuffs in action, including a new mixed-livery push-pull rake, representing the later years of these rakes, which seemed to be made of all kinds of Mk 2s and liveries.

I've also decided to add a few extra dead-end sidings to one of the fiddle yards to accommodate my double-ended trains (push-pull sets, HSTs and DMUs). This will require a small extra board and will enable more varied stock to be kept on the layout at any one time without taking up much more space.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now, 

Dave 

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 15

On 27/01/2019 at 22:22, ColinK said:

For me, WW is the most inspiring model I’ve ever seen. Yes, I’ve been to Miniature Wonderland and Pendon, but Waverley West is such a good model of a scene I remember well. Great to see you winning awards, you deserve them.

Thank you so much Colin. That's quite a compliment!

• Agree 1

It's one thing to see a layout and say you recognize the place it portrays. But with this video of the real thing, you can say that in seeing the place, you recognize the layout!  Congratulations on your awards.

aac

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, aac said:

It's one thing to see a layout and say you recognize the place it portrays. But with this video of the real thing, you can say that in seeing the place, you recognize the layout!  Congratulations on your awards.

aac

I must say, the quality of DCC sound used on WW is getting pretty good these days!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening Dave,

I was missing my Waverley fix so thanks for posting. Your modelling is simply superb but then as someone who grew up in Edinburgh and spent many happy days on the real platforms or trying to get round Haymarket, I may be somewhat biased.

PJ10

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi folks,

Just a quick update as, after a modelling session this afternoon, the ScotRail inspection saloon is now all but finished. I just have to fit one handrail and do a tiny bit of touching up. DCC-controlled interior lighting has been fitted, but has yet to be tested.

I've asked Steve at Railtec Transfers to do the transfers for the ends too, but I have yet to hear back from him. I know he's a busy man though.

Img_3371.jpg.1aacdee067c2e275e4879eb539884926.jpg

Its InterCity counterpart is a little behind, but should be completed in the near future too.

In other news, I have bought some LED daylight bulbs for the railway room. These will cut energy consumption by 90% and give me daylight lighting, rather than the yellowy lighting at present. They are also dimmable, so at some stage I hope to fit a dimmer switch too.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,

Dave

PS I don't know what is happening with the image editor these days, but I can't seem to get rid of images that I've decided not to show. So I'm stuck with the pretty rubbish shot of the front shown below. I've tried everything "clear editor", "delete photo", starting again, you name it. 

Img_3372.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...