Waverley West

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

HI Dave,

Great photos as always. I'm looking forward to seeing the new container rake. I decided against buying any FFA/FGA wagons as I felt the containers weren't quite right for the mid 80s. However seeing what you've done with the first rake and with C Rail container on the second I may have to reconsider and do a bit of container mixing and matching. You said the C Rail containers are "pretty much" a straight fit. If possible when you post photos of the new rake can you describe any adjustments made. Thanks

Looking at the second photo, is that a sand box pipe hanging down from the front of 24081's bogie. Just mentioning it incase it snags on any point work.

PJ10

Posted (edited)

Hi folks

A little video showing 58043 wending its way through Waverley station and on through Princes St Gardens and past Haymarket depot. The video especially shows the excellent running characteristics of the rake and derailments are non-existent or at least extremely rare. A complete contrast to my rake of BOC tank wagons.

As I mentioned before, I have now replaced probably around two thirds of the containers with ones from C Rail Intermodel to produce a rake which is much more representative of the 80s. I'm very happy with it now, although one or two white containers wouldn't go amiss. Red, white and blue containers seemed to dominant many rakes back then, but looking at photos, it seems anything goes, including empty rakes too of course. The wagons are so beautifully detailed that even running a part- or fully empty rake would look good. I wish Bachmann would stop producing stuff I find so hard to resist.

PJ10 - I only said "pretty much" because I'm not sure the C Rail Intermodel containers fit quite as securely as the Bachmann ones. I haven't made any modifications at all to the C Rail ones and they stay in position and remain stable around the layout, so no worries there. I'm just not sure they lock into the locking pins quite so well. But they're fine as they are. Hope that helps.

Hope to be back soon with some piccies of the rake.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
Typo
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

cracking running there Dave, really smooth through the pointwork.

Great weathering on the containers too, very convincing

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Waverley West said:

PJ10 - I only said "pretty much" because I'm not sure the C Rail Intermodel containers fit quite as securely as the Bachmann ones. I haven't made any modifications at all to the C Rail ones and they stay in position and remain stable around the layout, so no worries there. I'm just not sure they lock into the locking pins quite so well. But they're fine as they are. Hope that helps.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. I had read that they didn't fit as securely on another thread some time ago. However looking at the video they look perfectly secure to me.

And I agree with Colin Penfold. Great weathering and I love the snaking through Princess Street Gardens pointwork.

PJ10

4 hours ago, Waverley West said:

... produce a rake which is much more representative of the 80s ...

Unfortunately, you've got one more container to change.

That 9ft6 high cube container doesn't work on a standard flat in the 1980s -- it would have needed a special low floor wagon back then.

It's not until relatively recently that routes have been cleared for high cube containers on standard height flats.

• Agree 2

Wow. You've posted some great stuff, but those last shots beat them all for me. They look amazing. So life like. Brilliant, brilliant modelling. 

Keep up the good work. All the best.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

that is SPECIAL... a few doble checks to make sure its a model :) and love the sun light nice and orange as sun sets. :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Finally worked my way through this thread and what an enjoyable experience it has been. 

Dave, hats off to you sir. A truly remarkable layout and like many before me have said there have been mulitple times when I was reading through I had to do the proverbial double take to check it really was the model and not the real thing. Great stuff!!

Now I'm up to date I need more photos now ;)

• Thanks 1

Would a spot of ‘tacky wax’ help keep the containers on the wagons?

On 03/06/2019 at 18:35, ColinK said:

Would a spot of ‘tacky wax’ help keep the containers on the wagons?

Quite probably, Colin, although it's not really a problem as the containers only move when they're knocked by the "hand of God".

I need to get one of these...

image.png.ed7b7231073eb5913c95aeca79414ef6.png

• Agree 2

Not the dreaded Round Tuit.  My railway friends know I just don’t like them;  one day I invited them round for the evening and a very enjoyable time was had by all - until they went home.  They had obtained a large number of paper plates and written ‘A round tuit’ on every one and hidden them all over the house. Open a drawer and there’s a A round tuit staring at you, Go to the loo, one stuck to the underside of the seat, get into bed and there is one under the pillow and another in the sheet. I remove them and climb into bed, another Round Tuit staring down from the ceiling.  Months later I was still finding the bl**dy things.  Has to be the best practical joke I’ve come across.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Posted (edited)

Excellent stuff Dave, the only thing missing from the 47 is the radiator slats opening when she powers up! :)

The whole layout is amazing but this clip shows how good your backscenes are - the perspective is spot-on and they look almost  3D. And not just the more recognisable Edinburgh city scenes either, i love the houses and back gardens at the start of the clip - mundane  council suburbia but all the more interesting for it. 

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/06/2019 at 11:21, Waverley West said:

Quite probably, Colin, although it's not really a problem as the containers only move when they're knocked by the "hand of God".

I need to get one of these...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_06/image.png.ed7b7231073eb5913c95aeca79414ef6.png

I have one. Don’t look at it very often even less read it as mine has more text

Hard to distinguish some of those photos from the real thing. Been in an out of Waverley many times. 

Unreal modelling :good:

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fantastic video and a stunning layout Waverly West, great stuff!

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tell me how do you get Waverley in your house as this is not a model but the real thing how do you cope with all the passengers ,a one way system arrivals out the back door ,departures via the front door .Gets better every post.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Utterly fabulous, Dave, these outdoor shots are just superb.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

That RF 47 looks great really captures the condition of them at that time. 

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Stunning photos I have to say, hope you and family are keeping ok mate.

Great to see your updates and always enjoyable to watch, as I said totally stunning.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/07/2019 at 10:35, Waverley West said:

Hi folks,

Here as promised are some more shots of the latest two locos to be released from WW Works... Railfreight 47018 and Railfreight Distribution 47365.

First up are some sunny shots of 47018. I realised when taking these shots that one of the bodyside windows was missing. Some frantic minutes of panic and scrabbling round on the floor later and fortunately it turned up on the carpet. Phew.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1908166479_470187.jpg.a3b0c61c87d1693236c67b73863f3c1a.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1803028842_470186.jpg.4cc289856dd81fa05749e8cc795a91ab.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1956605241_470188.jpg.a6747321eeb5f8897c3d81a4bd3d109e.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/2122172782_470189.jpg.2abe7895d70dffc68ff332a63e23b503.jpg

Followed by the other newcomer, 47365. I had a bit of a disaster with this one, as Bachmann's latest printing techniques mean that numbers, logos, etc. come off far too easily now when in contact with enamel thinners, and I managed to strip the "Railfreight Distribution" off both sides of the loco. These were replaced with Railtec transfers. I then had another disaster attempting to spray the loco with satin varnish in order to protect the lettering and logos. Result: a lot more hassle than was strictly necessary, but I don't think the scare is too apparent fortunately.

I always thought this was a pretty smart livery on the 47s. 47365 is finished in near ex-works condition. I couldn't quite bring myself to make it fresh out of the box, so the roof has the beginnings of a slight covering of grime and the bogies are not gloss.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/2009186231_473652.jpg.856d498b504981e1fb0f580bc82ca2a6.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1466490816_473651.jpg.147d31a6b7bc0f417126be65c0d01b1e.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/2051462922_473654.jpg.f9fb5308579df4489c92376838af7a6e.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1677601959_473653.jpg.9b744e095b1ac81e1a63357e3504eb0a.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/1035870667_473655.jpg.c94e7e50016778265b4452a5fd3c7b8a.jpg

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_07/593629547_473656.jpg.12611d8ac7bb8f88037fbb7ef7ad91cd.jpg

As for my next projects, well, I think continuing the refresh of the 47 fleet is pretty high on the agenda, along with fitting interior lights to one of my HST rakes using ESU lighting units and DCC Concepts wheels.

Happy modelling!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry to be critical of such wonderful modelling, but 47 018 had a plated over round spanner boiler port and battery box only under tanks (when in RF livery) 

Regards

Ken

• Like 1