Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks, Colin. Yep, 2 hrs 18 mins. A new Personal Worst, but not to worry, My knee held out and I was just pleased to finish after all my injury frustrations this summer. I ran much of the way alongside The Incredibles, so I can't have been doing that badly. :D The weather was fantastic, if a bit hot if I'm being fussy. Local residents even got out their garden hoses and sprayed everyone, which was much appreciated, as were all the ice lollies and ice pops that were being handed out. 

How some of the fancy dress runners finished in the costumes they were wearing, I really don't know. There was a fantastic atmosphere as always and there were crowds cheering us on along almost the entire route.  

What really mattered though was that I managed to raise around £800 for the Alzheimer's Society, which is fantastic and due in no small part to the generosity of RMWebbers. Thank you so much once again! 

568094466_GNR19Small.jpg.a4163b5fbcf5281c1c7bc673e7dab000.jpg

Dave

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 06/10/2019 at 14:54, meanach said:

Out of curiosity, have you tried marrying a Hornby Mk1 BSO with a Bachmann chassis ? I’m wondering if it’s possible .

Is the Bachmann chassis noticeably better than the Hornby to make that worthwhile?

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, meanach said:

It’s to maintain the close coupling system that Bachmann use . They don’t make a BSO. 

You can use the Bachmann close coupler on the Hornby BSO, I have and it has run happily for the last 2 years in a rake that are otherwise Bachmann coaches. 

1829600021_Finalcoachrenumber031.JPG.64590e2ecaddea507e7fb283ca41310d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

I really enjoyed the video's. Very atmospheric as usual and the 47's really sound just as I remember them too.  

I noted your comment about the BOC tanker rake.  That's disappointing for a wagon with that price tag....  I have a similar problem with shunting Hornby container flats and am thinking of replacing the usual individual couplings on each wagon for one of the straight bar versions used to couple the Bachmann 'twin" types.

Love the layout!!  Keep up the good work.

Cheers for now,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citadel12003 said:

Hi Dave,

I really enjoyed the video's. Very atmospheric as usual and the 47's really sound just as I remember them too.  

I noted your comment about the BOC tanker rake.  That's disappointing for a wagon with that price tag....  I have a similar problem with shunting Hornby container flats and am thinking of replacing the usual individual couplings on each wagon for one of the straight bar versions used to couple the Bachmann 'twin" types.

Love the layout!!  Keep up the good work.

Cheers for now,

Tom

Cheers Tom. Nice to hear from you again. 

It is disappointing about the BOC rake. By contrast, my Bachmann Mk 2 and Freightliner rakes run like a dream. The derailments almost always seem to be caused by the coupling not returning to centre after a curve. Lubrication can help a lot here, but it isn't a complete cure. What is strange is that they take some simple and reverse curves without any problems, but object to others. I really like the wagons and the look of the full rake, so it's a really frustrating problem. And then there's the price tag too, as you mention.

I'm going to dismantle one of them and see what can be done. Watch this space, but don't hold your breath!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I've read somewhere that some problems with CCMs can be caused by rough edges/burrs on the mechanism (I hope it wasn't in this thread! :)).

It doesn't take much to make them stick and any glitches may only be on one side/edge so only affect it in one direction.

I think the gist was smoothing all surfaces with fine wet & dry and then careful lubrication.

(I wonder if graphite or similar would be preferable to oils which may thicken/attract gunk over time?)

• Informative/Useful 1