Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

1 hour ago, meanach said:

As Columbo would say.. just one more thing, is that the ESU power pack mini , a stay alive I use with sound decoders that you are using ? It’s just they are quite beefy !

No, sorry, these are the ones I mean, ESU 50710...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/esu-loksound-50710-led-powerpack-double-pack?variant=35450577125448&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY-PBhCNARIsABcz770KURKDp4nPwq6qWz9QWB83n6-y9T47nTNYXs_uanXBHoO4Ps70j_kaAmT7EALw_wcB

Nice and compact. They fit perfectly in a toilet compartment. You get two in a pack. As well as eliminating flicker, they also reduce the need to clean the coaches' wheels. In fact, I have so far had to clean very few wheels once these are fitted.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here are a couple of photos showing the pickup arrangement I use. One pickup on each side per bogie, but it's plenty in my experience. The wires are fed through the chassis through a hole drilled immediately adjacent to the bogie pivot. I normally glue the wires to the bottom of the bogie, to stop them rotating with the axle.

The dog hair on the second wheel is optional (but inevitable if you have a Labrador :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

1856104930_Bogiepickups.JPG.7b41ef5cdbb395d8bdc39fc7343a5f37.JPG

462149353_Bogiepickups2.JPG.41e355b3c2bc46f997c4b23b2407b229.JPG

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Here are a couple of photos showing the pickup arrangement I use. One pickup on each side per bogie, but it's plenty in my experience. The wires are fed through the chassis through a hole drilled immediately adjacent to the bogie pivot. I normally glue the wires to the bottom of the bogie, to stop them rotating with the axle.

The dog hair on the second wheel is optional (but inevitable if you have a Labrador :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

1856104930_Bogiepickups.JPG.7b41ef5cdbb395d8bdc39fc7343a5f37.JPG

462149353_Bogiepickups2.JPG.41e355b3c2bc46f997c4b23b2407b229.JPG

Very useful thanks. The ESu packs I have are the 50709 type which are more yellow. They don’t seem that common in the U.K. ?

8 minutes ago, meanach said:

Very useful thanks. The ESu packs I have are the 50709 type which are more yellow. They don’t seem that common in the U.K. ?

No, I find I have to hunt around sometimes.  The same goes for the 50708 lighting strips I use too.

Coastal DCC have some 50710's in stock at the moment...

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/search.php?search=50710

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One hopes that staff sickness nor vastly over-running engineering works are not the cause of the lack of updates on Waverley!  Hope things are still progressing and you've had a productive year Dave (@Waverley West)   ... we're all dying for an update when you have chance!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest and your kind words. I see my last post was on Jan 17. Crikey! I guess I was knocked sideways by the Great RMWeb Crash, with the loss of all my pictures on this thread and have been lacking enthusiasm to pick up where I left off these past months. I actually still have copies of all the photos that were posted on this thread, so nothing has been lost, but the time to post them all again is a different matter.

I wasn't sure how much enthusiasm there was for me to resurrect this thread, but your kind enquiries have spurred me on to start posting again, so thank you! I've actually been pretty busy since January.

Completed projects have really centred around traction on the layout (as if I didn't have enough locos already!) and have included a complete refresh of my Bachmann 37 fleet, ready for the arrival of some Accurascale ones when they're released. I have yet to spend any cash on the new Bachmann version, mainly because of coincidental clashes with the same loco numbers in my recent refresh. I could renumber them of course, but I'm pretty happy with my recently refreshed/new 37s and looking forward to the new Accurascale ones. And then there's the price of new Bachmann locos of course, which is not to be sniffed at, as good as they are.

Several class 20s have also arrived, with my old Bachmann ones being sold off to make space (not to mention raise some cash to go some way towards justifying new purchases!). More on these later.

Other projects include the arrival of some 3D printed figures from ModelU, which really are excellent. I am now looking to gradually replace many of the figures on the layout with 3D printed versions over time as I track down suitable figures from the 80s.

There have also been one or two other new arrivals in the form of a new InterCity Swallow 47, now renumbered as 47840 North Star.

Also, don't mention this to anyone of a nervous, purist disposition, but there have also been some appearances by two 86s, one an old Heljan 86 which has been through the Waverley West Works to create 86204 City of Carlisle in InterCity Swallow livery, and a new Heljan 86/4 renumbered as 86416 Wigan Pier. These are just for a bit of fun and I have actually really enjoyed running them round the layout, even without any wires. 😮😮😮 And no, there are no plans to put up any catenary at Waverley West. It is set to remain firmly in the 80s.

As regards rolling stock, I've finally completed my rake of weathered Hornby cement PCAs, suitably gunged up with cement over the top of the barrel. I've also bought a few Accurascale PCAs to mix in the rake for a bit of variety, but these will probably not get done for a while, as I have too many other projects on the go.

My current project is two cut-and-shut jobs to create two centre cars for my class 101 met-cam units. These units ran almost exclusively as 3-car units from Waverley and are absolutely essential for any model of Waverley in the 80s, but Bachmann frustratingly seem to be content with only producing 2-car units. I could have gone for a Hornby version, but I managed to pick up a couple of 2-car Bachmann units reasonably cheaply (in modern terms anyway) and thought it would be fun to try and make a centre car out of each. The first car is progressing well now and starting to near completion. More on this later.

Anyway, that's enough waffle for now. I have quite a few piccies to post, but for now here are a few recent ones...

The nights are fair drawing in now, as 47470 University of Edinburgh waits to take out a service to Inverness, alongside a push-pull rake which will shortly be heading for Glasgow Queen St.

1701890609_Stationthroatb.jpg.2f2fbaa5e5731388ac82736267725e3e.jpg

I have recently remapped the functions on my Mk2f DBSO's so that the driver's cab light is on a different function, meaning they can now run with the driver's cab light out. My push-pull stock is mainly fitted with ESU light bars, where the default "on" function is the same as Bachmann's function for the driver's cab on the DBSOs. This issue has now been rectified.

If anyone is interested in this kind of project (function remapping in particular, i.e. moving functions around), I can thoroughly recommend investing in a LokProgrammer.

As well as the DBSO cab light function remapping, I have for example recently used it to have the interior lighting in my class 150 units as a separate function from the running lights, as the interior lights are too bright for daytime running. I have also removed the annoying "switch" sounds that Bachmann insists on adding to the light functions on its new 47. That's in addition to the usual programming of loco numbers, etc. DC-Kits also offer an online reprogramming service which enables me to reprogram decoders with new sounds.

Below, a driver makes his way to another new arrival on the layout, 37403 Isle of Mull. I chose 37403, as it brings back happy memories of holidays spent on the island.

37403c.jpg.e0f75f76e2afc656de637c059d6dc882.jpg

Below, another new arrival, 47004 from Eastfield depot, threads its way through Princes St Gardens with a rake of cement PCAs. It was only after taking these photos that I noticed how high the PCAs are compared with the Bachmann 47. It's nowhere near as obvious with the Bachmann 37 for some reason. I think rewheeling the PCAs with some smaller wheels might help.

47004a.jpg.7ee0aff9226c2d040191594a471f8e8f.jpg

Another new rake is a rake of Cavelex's excellent new BBAs, normally hauled by a new pairing on the layout, red stripe railfreight 37502 and near- ex works metals subsector 37507. They make a fine sight and sound plying their way round the layout.

1458243585_37502and37507a.jpg.0ca49ce291bccbe4468019abca9526f4.jpg

Yet another new 37 is 37114 Dunrobin Castle, complete with bonnet-fitted car headlight, seen here parked up at Waverley waiting for its next duty...

50 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Another new 37 is metals subsector 37423 Sir Murray Morrison. This is a renumbered exampled from a Railfreight Distribution example, not the new Bachmann one about to be released. Here it is, hauling a rake of ballast wagons through Princes St Gardens.

37423a.jpg.0c044e6aa32ec17545c7c08fb65d42fd.jpg

Well, it looks like I've reached my upload limit for this post, so I'll sign off for now. There are plenty more where these came from though, so I will be back soon.

Cheers for now and happy modelling!

Dave

So nice to see a post from you Dave, really missed this thread.

I think I can quite legitimately say, we've all missed you and your posts, but equally I suspected the crash would've massively affected this thread.

Thank goodness you had the foresight to keep all the photos!

Those 37s are ace, top-notch locos.

I hope we get to see more of your ever excellent photography and cracking layout soon!

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

So great to see the updates. The layout is as always excellent. It has always been my top “these are photos of the real thing, not a model” layouts. Your attention to detail and great photography make this a really great layout. Thanks for the new updates. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waverley West said:

As promised, here are a few more piccies...

As evening falls, platforms 12-15 are full of services waiting to depart to destinations across Scotland.

1653079229_Stationthroata.jpg.4b4618052cc4f627f023659d76f65690.jpg

Weather-beaten and faded 20048 waits for its next duty...

20048a.jpg.04ed01994f9b441eda2f3ee012f652fb.jpg

Earlier in the day, it was 37012's turn to wait for its next duty...

37012a.jpg.d3c46ac254f17626c98f78d46a83b01a.jpg

37/4s have recently been infringing on what had previously been traditional class 47 territory.

Here is 37417 waiting to depart for Inverness....

37417a.jpg.336b062a24e508c6795a5702c6f1c82c.jpg

Meanwhile, Railfreight 20132 and faded BR Blue 20048 wheel a Speedlink service through Princes St Gardens...

2103970564_20sb.jpg.02e1ec88d37c32efb41d68d258488e46.jpg

Followed shortly after by Inverness-based 27029 on a rake of ballast wagons...

27029j.jpg.3991ad516b7f91b445efdb5da78b7d59.jpg

27029i.jpg.3b12ae0327d3778c193927aeab2c04fc.jpg

Spoiling us now!

I like the top one, sort of a line up of 10 years - in 1981 you might have had a 47 without headlight yet doing a run to Inverness, 10 years later the same service would've been the 158 on the right.

The lighting really makes it though!

• Like 4

It’s great to see you’ve rejoined the throng Dave. It’s a wonderful layout and just oozes the atmosphere that drives me to aim higher. My standards fall a long way short of your own but your photos and videos help me to set the bar higher for my own layout. Please keep them coming 😀👍

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I am delighted I asked how things were progressing, and that you responded so positively! So much so that we are spoiled with the amount of work you have done. Welcome back and a cracking set of updates. The weathering on the 20 looks great, hope to see some updates on the cut and shut DMU, and that RailFreight Metals pairing looks superb!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Friendly/supportive 1