Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave

Thanks for the new Picture uploads...They look absolutely great...

I would love to see it in person...Is Layout all fixed or do you travel around exhibiting it to other modellers...?

Cheers again mate.

Jamie

Glad to hear you are getting a class 25 for Waverley they were quite common in the 80s.

Cheers Peter,

Thanks Peter, Grimley, 7APT7 and all.

7APT7 - the layout is fixed unfortunately so never leaves home. Having said that a house move is once again a distinct possibility, so that may have to change, at least as a one-off anyway! If you're ever in the area, send me a PM and I'd be happy to show you the layout.

Peter - do you know what diagrams the 25s worked? Was it freight only generally? I don't remember them having any regular passenger diagrams, but I could well be wrong... Interesting to watch your deliberations and discussions over your extension unfold by the way. It would be good to see Llanbourne grow, but then again it is brilliant as it is.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

I am not sure about diagrams for 25s, I had aquick look here, 1980s timewarp and Derbysulzers. I remember seeing them on a couple of freights which I think would probably be shared turns with other type 2s. They did work the odd passenger train but wouldn't have been booked any turns as far as I know. I found out a few years back, a class 25 was working some Edinburgh - Carstairs portions while I was up there. sad.gif I remember seeing a 25 stabled at Carstairs but had no idea it would work a passenger.sad.gif

Oh, and I think I am sorted with Llanbourne.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd post a video I put on the old thread, partly to remind myself how to do it!

Hope you like it...

I hope to do one of the new SWD base speaker-fitted Deltics soon too. biggrin.gif

Not too much new stuff coming from Waverley West just at the moment for various reasons - although the 25 is expected to emerge from the works very soon. It just needs reassembling now.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

This is really great and thanks very much for posting (reposting?) it here for all to admire. As well as the standard of the layout, I'm really impressed with the photographs on here. Is there any chance you could add some more technical detail about how they were taken - what camera, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes,

Brian.

Thanks Jamie and Brian.

Brian - I use a Canon EOS 500D, although I used to use a Canon Sureshot S40. I try and use a tripod where possible (I share one with my mum, so I don't always have it to hand). As regards settings, I tend to use fairly standard settings for each type of shot, so I'll post some info on that in a future posting.

Here are a couple of recent shots.

First up, a first shot of the almost finished 25083 trundling through Princes St on a short oil train.

I have resprayed the yellow ends (I thought the Bachmann yellow was too dark on this loco), installed drivers at both ends and weathered it. As it was already a Scottish loco (Eastfield I think), I was quite happy with the number. I also fitted Express Models lights and the new SWD sound-decoder. I just need to put white transfers over the domino dots, as I think the Express Models lights are too yellow as they are. A bit of buffer beam detailing wouldn't go amiss either I think, although the tension couplings will probably stay. Other than that it's a standard Bachmann product.

post-7247-12609656318619_thumb.jpg

I'll post some more shots once it's completely finished.

... and a shot of 27105 and 37191 side by side in the platforms.

post-7247-12609656723267_thumb.jpg

An unexpected and exciting parcel arrived in the post this morning - the new Rails limited edition 47541 The Queen Mother. That might well be bumped up the list of projects. It does look superb and although I don't think it will herald the start of withdrawals of my Heljan duffs, I think the new Bachmann 47s will have a place on Waverley West. I didn't think the first attempt was good enough really but a quick glance at the new arrival suggests the worst weaknesses have at least been eliminated (those riveted windscreen surrounds for starters!).

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd post a couple of slight variations on my HST at speed shot after a little fiddling (colour balance).

Hope you like it... One thing I've learned recently about pictures on this site is that you can click on them for a bigger picture. biggrin.gif

post-7247-12609801309573_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12609803787726_thumb.jpg

Brian - I usually use a fixed shutter speed of 1/25th for these shots and let the camera worry about the other settings. Any faster and I find the shot is too dark with my lighting and any slower and the shot is usually too blurred.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 2

Are you going far? Good chance to add a Scottish port to the model thensmile.gif

We're interested in a place in Mockerkin, so about 3 miles. smile.gif Not sure whether it's going to come off yet, but it's that or nothing at the moment. It does have a double garage which I have been given permission to take over. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I'm thinking an extended Waverley West with a fiddle yard and an extension to Oban with one of Carl's boats.

Mustn't get carried away, mustn't get carried away...

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Seeing as I have now more or less finished D9009, I thought I'd post some pics of it. The loco will be used as a "preserved" railtour loco when Waverley West is in sector mode.

Hope you like them...

post-7247-12615761125471_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12615760356378_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12615752316499_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12615752684015_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12615753005745_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12615756180903_thumb.jpg

post-7247-1261575978545_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 6