Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

The depot area is looking great.

If you have any pics of fitting the speaker to the class 56 I would be interested as I might try and fit sound to my blue one at some point.

Here is a link that might help Peter....

https://clarahost.clara.net/www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/hornbycl56dccinstr.htm

Sorry for the hijack Dave, all looking superb. Love the 58, and the photos are brilliant as usual.

I don't post here as often as I look in, as I'm usually speechless!!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Sorry for the hijack Dave, all looking superb. Love the 58, and the photos are brilliant as usual.

Jinty ;-)

No worries at all, Jinty! I actually removed the fan assembly in order to fit a larger bass enhanced speaker, as I found the speaker shown in the link gave a slightly tinny sound. I fitted a bass enhanced speaker in my latest 58 which has a very similar sound and this sounded so much better that I wanted to fit the same speaker into my 56. I'm not too worried about fans, as you can't see them most of the time anyway. A static one will do fine for me.

Will take a photo Peter when I get chance.

Cheers

Dave

Come on Dave -  can't believe that 47 076 couldn't be renamed / renumbered with a cotton bud and T-cut, some BR blue blown over it ( don't even mask it off - just close the nozzle down ) fit the new nameplates and finally a couple of passes of grime with the airbrush. " Simple " click - click " :sungum: . 

Bill.

Come on Dave -  can't believe that 47 076 couldn't be renamed / renumbered with a cotton bud and T-cut, some BR blue blown over it ( don't even mask it off - just close the nozzle down ) fit the new nameplates and finally a couple of passes of grime with the airbrush. " Simple " click - click " :sungum: . 

Bill.

No, you're right Bill, I'm just looking for very quick fixes for my shortage of BR blue 47s. Too many projects, too little time. That's my problem.

Because I have some spare Heljan bodies with the right headcode/headlight/roof colour combinations, etc., I should be able to do 47553, 47466 and 47004 just by doing my normal Heljan 47 alterations (fitting of roof grilles and wire handrails plus buffer beam detailing and the usual weathering) without any need to get the airbrush out. 47076 would need a little more work than that. As I lived in Cornwall for ten years, the idea of doing "City of Truro" has some appeal anyway.

Cheers

Dave

Looking good Dave, that is going to be a lovely TMD. I know that they are just mock ups but the shed building will look great. Once you get a nice array of stock stabled out the front that will really finish it off.

Looking forward to your next update showing progress on the concrete floor.

• Like 1

Jinty ;-)

Thanks Jinty, Useful website that.

Cheers Peter.

No worries at all, Jinty! I actually removed the fan assembly in order to fit a larger bass enhanced speaker, as I found the speaker shown in the link gave a slightly tinny sound. I fitted a bass enhanced speaker in my latest 58 which has a very similar sound and this sounded so much better that I wanted to fit the same speaker into my 56. I'm not too worried about fans, as you can't see them most of the time anyway. A static one will do fine for me.

Will take a photo Peter when I get chance.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

There are some nice pics of 47004 on Flickr. Blue with ploughs and small Scotti dog.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave, your latest photos are just ridiculous, ridiculously good! Love the inside of the tunnel…..great shots.

Following on from what Peter has said about 47004 in BR blue, not sure if you already have it but if not you might like to ask Father Christmas for Modern Traction Archive Volume 13 which includes some lovely footage of Edinburgh Waverley. It is right up your street! 47004 is featured as Peter described it, lovely loco and would look right at home on Waverley West.

Hi Dave, your latest photos are just ridiculous, ridiculously good! Love the inside of the tunnel…..great shots.

Following on from what Peter has said about 47004 in BR blue, not sure if you already have it but if not you might like to ask Father Christmas for Modern Traction Archive Volume 13 which includes some lovely footage of Edinburgh Waverley. It is right up your street! 47004 is featured as Peter described it, lovely loco and would look right at home on Waverley West.

Thanks for the tip, Alex. I've just had a look at it on the website and it does look right up my street, pretty much literally! I see there's even a 27 emerging from The Mound on the cover.  :biggrin_mini2:  :biggrin_mini2:

47004 is now officially on the to-do list. I didn't realise it carried a Scotty dog as well, as Peter mentioned, so that really is ideal.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

My book on class 47s says 47004 was one of the last 47s in Scotland to have an operational  boiler as late as 1987. Might be worth checking you have the correct boiler port.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave - As promised I have been beavering away this weekend and I have scanned and uploaded all my Edinburgh Related photographs.  The Waverley west ones are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/sets/72157649348469176/

Other albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/sets

Hope there is something there that can help. unfortunately I have only one photograph of 47004 in blue and it is not the complete engine, it received Railfreight Construction livery sometime between 1989 and 1990.  It crops up in a few photographs in that livery.

Jim

• Like 1

Hi Dave - As promised I have been beavering away this weekend and I have scanned and uploaded all my Edinburgh Related photographs.  The Waverley west ones are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/sets/72157649348469176/

Other albums

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/sets

Hope there is something there that can help. unfortunately I have only one photograph of 47004 in blue and it is not the complete engine, it received Railfreight Construction livery sometime between 1989 and 1990.  It crops up in a few photographs in that livery.

Jim

Jim, I'm speechless. That is one fantastic set of photos for me. A million thanks.

Cheers

Dave

Jim - can I add my thanks =- the ones of the East End are very useful to me as I'm trying to see what mouths of the Calton Tunnels look like - also I note the amazing simplification of the tracks since steam days.

I was interested to see the class 305 EMUS - they were the trains that ran on the old Eastern Region line to Ware  - I recall them as they were the equivalent of the 'Hogwarts Express' of my youth! I didn't know they made it up to Auld Reekie!

Hi folks,

Struck it lucky yesterday. Headed down for a quick stroll though Princes St. Gardens and onto Waverley West and what should turn up but 56013 with Test Car 6. Managed a couple of quick snaps...

post-7247-0-67142400-1416829675_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-04408100-1416829377_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-92444100-1416829396_thumb.jpg

After watching some videos over on grimley's thread (thanks Alex!), I decided the roof of WW's resident blue 56 was too clean, so a quick trip to the weathering works followed with the result you see above. 

Depot floor and concrete area is now down and painted. Update to follow soon I hope!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 17

Those shots of the Princes St. Gardens are just so good Dave - I keep playing with the plans to see if there's any way I could...

move the whole of Waverley East a bit further along the room...

shorten the platforms and ...

would you beleive it a four track exit heading west?????

Doubt I could even come close to what you've achieved though!

Peter