Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Looking good Dave, I really do like the weathering of the track outside the shed. Great job.
I think I have found the person to take on the job at Boxenby!

Nice to see 58050 having a run out, especially on Test Car 6.

“Too many jobs and too little time!”, so I take it that you haven’t made the depot buildings yet?!!!

More excellent work as always! Any chance of some more vids soon? It's been a while... :)

Duly noted Ian!

SRMan asked for a video of the 56, so I was going to do one of that anyway. Trying to get the 56 back together after replacing the speaker caused me a huge headache yesterday though, as I could not get the contacts for the lights to line up. In the end I decided to hard-wire it, which took a while. Then, when I had finally got it back together again, it developed a really annoying squeak. Eventually I stripped it down almost completely, oiled it and reassembled it. Fortunately, it ran perfectly first time after that, but a quick half hour job took up an entire precious afternoon yesterday. 

Ah, the joys of modelling!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Looks great Dave,

A very nice line up too, I know what you mean about lack of time but you are doing pretty well.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter. I am pretty pleased with my progress overall this year. I set myself a target of completing the depot concrete and trackwork by the end of the year, so I made it. I'm hoping to squeeze in some time over the Xmas hols too. Having the central heating in the railway room has made it much easier to nip up for half an hour or so. which is great. But then I guess such issues don't really bother you too much!

Cheers

Dave

Looking good Dave, I really do like the weathering of the track outside the shed. Great job.

I think I have found the person to take on the job at Boxenby!

Nice to see 58050 having a run out, especially on Test Car 6.

“Too many jobs and too little time!”, so I take it that you haven’t made the depot buildings yet?!!!

Cheers Alex. Weathering the track on Boxenby would be a pleasure! I do like weathering track as I think it makes such a difference and I always look forward to it, even though it is a bit nerve-wracking as overdoing it would be difficult to rectify. I think my effort on the depot went OK. I thought maybe I had overdone it a little, but I've since gone back through my photos of the depot and it really is a case of anything goes, as there seems to be a lot of variation in oil-staining of track around depots and some areas appear completely black.

2015 looks like being the year of building buildings. Honest! I'm also hoping to tack on a fiddle yard to at least one side of the layout, so that I can run more freight alongside the passenger services (think double-headed 20s, 37s, 47/0s, 56s, 60s, etc. on Speedlinks, MGRs, ballast trains, oil trains, VDA van trains, as well as specials that I can't already fit in sidings on the layout). That's my plan anyway!

Cheers for now.

Dave

PS I can't believe the lengths you've gone to with your inspection pit lights, but they do look absolutely superb. Fantastic!

Here's a unique bit of Haymarket rolling stock for some modelling inspiration.

The Haymarket Water Tank

attachicon.gifHaymarketwater.jpg

It was part of the Steam Crane that still operated until the late 1980's

A pick of the full train is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/57902588@N07/12911290043

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. An interesting project! I've seen a few photos of the crane and the project is definitely on the list, albeit on the back burner for the moment.

Cheers

Dave

I might take you up on your offer!

The weathering looks good to me, as you say it varies around depots and areas. I have to confess to spending quite a few evenings looking at photos of Toton’s track and in particular the ballast and stains. I often think how to approach the weathering. Now that really is sad!

I am looking forward to seeing the buildings in 2015.

To be honest Dave, I cannot believe it either. Hope it is worth it!
In a lot of photos of Toton the doors are down, so if I have them closed on Boxenby you won’t be able to see anything inside!

The weathering looks good to me, as you say it varies around depots and areas. I have to confess to spending quite a few evenings looking at photos of Toton’s track and in particular the ballast and stains. I often think how to approach the weathering. Now that really is sad!

Hope it is worth it!

In a lot of photos of Toton the doors are down, so if I have them closed on Boxenby you won’t be able to see anything inside!

I'm glad I'm not the only sad person spending their evenings looking at photos of ballast and oil stains on the ground at some depot taken 30 years ago!

Your pit lights are definitely worth it. They look absolutely superb. If you model your doors shut, I would definitely begin to question your sanity though.   :no:

Cheers Peter. I am pretty pleased with my progress overall this year. I set myself a target of completing the depot concrete and trackwork by the end of the year, so I made it. I'm hoping to squeeze in some time over the Xmas hols too. Having the central heating in the railway room has made it much easier to nip up for half an hour or so. which is great. But then I guess such issues don't really bother you too much!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I write up a list each year of things I want to try and do for the year Loco's stock and bits to do on the layout. plus a list of thing I need. I don't stress if things don't get done but it helps to keep me focused although the 56070 and MGRs  weren't on the list this year so things can jump the que. My signalbox has been on the list for a few years now maybe 2015 should be the year of the buildings. I have a locoshed to build too.

The trouble with my Garage is it gets too hot during Summer so there are a number of days when I don't go out their, winter can get a bit cold but I just put on an extra jumper and tuff it out.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of 47510 Fair Rosamund which is now running very sweetly after a complete strip-down and overhaul...

First up, a quick snatched photo as she appears out of The Mound Tunnel  after being given the road to cross over to the Aberdeen route...

post-7247-0-47529500-1418897052_thumb.jpg

Followed a few seconds later as she runs through Princes St. Gardens with a rake of Mk 1s and 2ds in tow ...

post-7247-0-22268900-1418897084_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Love the 101s Dave, staple fare for days out to Edinburgh! Can just imagine the 'clack-clack' of the units over the track.

Do you have any trailer cars of any type? - as you say you could get some real dolly mixtures, just most units tended to be 3-car.

Keep up the great modelling (and great pics too)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Love the 101s Dave, staple fare for days out to Edinburgh! Can just imagine the 'clack-clack' of the units over the track.

Do you have any trailer cars of any type? - as you say you could get some real dolly mixtures, just most units tended to be 3-car.

Keep up the great modelling (and great pics too)

And don't forgot the rasp of the exhausts, the billowing smoke and the rattling windows too, keefer!

I don't have any trailers of any type unfortunately. I have seen a blue 3-car 108 on Hattons' website which I was very tempted by, but I am holding out for the moment at least. 3-car units is definitely a general aim for me though on WW in the longer term. Mixing and matching units has just got harder with Bachmann's revised inter-car coupling on the 101 unfortunately. Hopefully any future units they make will at least have the same coupling.

This is a quick shot of the current state of play with the white/blue stripe 101 which will be "matched" with a blue car...

post-7247-0-81455000-1418901528_thumb.jpg

The tricky stage of getting that stripe straight is done, which I was very relieved about.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 7

Hi Dave,

The 101 looks great. Sorry to hear about the superglue. What were you using it for? I only used superglue for bufferbeam detail if I can help it.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I was replacing the handrails with wire versions and was just gluing them in. 

Cheers

Dave

The destination blind might say Dundee, but this 101 is definitely Waverley-bound as it enters The Mound Tunnel in the twilight of a gloomy winter's day...

post-7247-0-79298400-1418918499_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-72292700-1418918515_thumb.jpg

(The unit should be the other way round - it reads "Edinburgh" at the other end!)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 18

The destination blind might say Dundee, but this 101 is definitely Waverley-bound as it enters The Mound Tunnel in the twilight of a gloomy winter's day...

attachicon.gif101 7.jpg

attachicon.gif101 7 BW.jpg

(The unit should be the other way round - it reads "Edinburgh" at the other end!)

Cheers

Dave

Not at all unprototypical, it was quite common on Scottish Suburban Services for the driver to change the indicator to show the outgoing service while stopped at the last intermediate station (in this case Haymarket) before the terminus, used to see it all the time at Coatdyke.

Lovely photographs

Jim

Hi Dave, I think at times that I take sad to a whole new level!

No point questioning my sanity, far too late for that!

Love the feather on, superb.

Bachmann do make a nice DMUs, your 101s look great. I can just imagine the rasping noise of them passing by!

I quite fancy a 101, 105 and 150 to have on Boxenby. They often visited the wheel lathe.