Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

So many more superb shots, I liked the views down the 4 track section with the saloon as they are different the gantry frames it so well. Newlands will be a doddle to operate for you compared to all the routes you control. Look forward to seeing you then.

I noted you mentioned running issues with a 56. Max had an issue with one stalling and I just couldn't see anything wrong after cleaning pick ups checking all wiring connections. It was only when I ran a cotton bud over the wheel backs in thinners that I found it had a black film on them which once wiped clean loco ran smoothly at a crawl. This must have been on it from manufacture so might be worth checking.

See you soon

Mark

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my recent progress.

The trackwork in both the east and west yards of the depot has now been ballasted and weathered. Ballasting on the main line is now also mostly complete and has been weathered. The main line still looks a bit bare and uniform but there is a lot of detail to come there yet, including signalling.

The main yard lamps have also been test-fitted, although judging from photographs I need to squeeze another one in on the right-hand side of the photos below.

attachicon.gifDepot progress as of 20150108 1.jpg

attachicon.gifDepot progress as of 20150108 1 Closeup.jpg

More to follow soon I hope, including some (poor quality) videos! 

Cheers for now,

Dave

Really liking how your Haymarket depot is coming on.

Most of my photos seem to be 3/4 views of locos "out front" however I do have a few from the area to the far right of the depot where the heavy lifting crane was.

These are quite interesting as they show the general grunge of this part of the depot and the bits and bobs lying around motors, pallets etc and the area appears to be filled in between the rails presumably so the forklift can operate in the area aswell to remove bits.

There also appears to be a 2 story building in the corner beside the brick shed??

Anyway here they are I hope they are some use so you can get the feel of this area and I look forward to seeing your photos in model form.

post-12740-0-13896100-1421201271.jpg

26014 with motors behind??

post-12740-0-70610000-1421201268.jpg

26014 wih freshly painted pipes sits under the crane.

post-12740-0-82256200-1421201266.jpg

26012 showing pallets and Forklift at work with filled in track looks to be wood in parts and perhaps concrete in others???

Hope they help

Steve

Edited by Steve-e
  • Like 14

Hi Dave,

So many more superb shots, I liked the views down the 4 track section with the saloon as they are different the gantry frames it so well. Newlands will be a doddle to operate for you compared to all the routes you control. Look forward to seeing you then.

I noted you mentioned running issues with a 56. Max had an issue with one stalling and I just couldn't see anything wrong after cleaning pick ups checking all wiring connections. It was only when I ran a cotton bud over the wheel backs in thinners that I found it had a black film on them which once wiped clean loco ran smoothly at a crawl. This must have been on it from manufacture so might be worth checking.

See you soon

Mark

Thanks Mark. I keep trying to find new camera angles but it is gradually getting harder!

Thanks for the tip re. the 56. After I mentioned in this thread that the 56 was now running beautifully, I realised it was still stalling around the depot yard occasionally, so I'll have a give the wheel backs a wipe and see if that makes any difference. I really can't see what else could be wrong with it.

I'm already looking forward to MRS!

Cheers

Dave

Really liking how your Haymarket depot is coming on.

Most of my photos seem to be 3/4 views of locos "out front" however I do have a few from the area to the far right of the depot where the heavy lifting crane was.

These are quite interesting as they show the general grunge of this part of the depot and the bits and bobs lying around motors, pallets etc and the area appears to be filled in between the rails presumably so the forklift can operate in the area aswell to remove bits.

There also appears to be a 2 story building in the corner beside the brick shed??

Anyway here they are I hope they are some use so you can get the feel of this area and I look forward to seeing your photos in model form.

attachicon.gif26014Haymarketc.1982b.jpg

26014 with motors behind??

attachicon.gif26014Haymarketc.1982.jpg

26014 wih freshly painted pipes sits under the crane.

attachicon.gif26012Haymarket1982.jpg

26012 showing pallets and Forklift at work with filled in track looks to be wood in parts and perhaps concrete in others???

Hope they help

Steve

Thanks a million for those, Steve. Fantastic reference photos and exactly what I am looking for. That part of the depot is going to be closest to the viewer so I want to detail it as much as I can. Good to see a fork-lift truck/pallets/etc. round there too. It's always nice to position things on the layout knowing that they were actually there at one time!

Making a miniature traction motor or two might even be a nice little project once everything else is finished too.

Thanks again,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re: the traction motors etc lying around, it still happens!

The newish shed nearest Haymarket station often has DMUs sitting in/near it, with wheelsets, final drive assemblies and other stuff sitting on the concrete outside.

I suppose even in your backdated form, the depot could still have DMU bits lying around - just that they'll be from 1st gen boneshakers instead of 158s and 170s!

Ooops some Motorman is going to get on the wrong side of the store boss for leaving a lamp lying on the platform with no-one around - lucky it isn't Glasgow or that would have become somebody's latest Christmas decoration by now!

Great paint jobs Dave!

Peter

Hi Dave,

Superb pics on this page and on 67. Love the shot of the class 26 on the Inspection Saloon. You must be pleased with your growing 101 DMU fleet too they look great.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.

I'm very pleased with my 101 collection. They're lovely models and whatever shortcomings they are supposed to have as regards window sizes/positioning aren't sufficient to spoil my appreciation of them. When I look at them, they look like a 101 to me and that's what matters as far as I'm concerned. The generic Howes DMU sound chip also captures the rattles and rasp of the units too and the clickety-clack and flange squeal sounds, not to mention the door slams and guard's whistle/buzzer,  really add an extra dimension. Watching the units come and go on Waverley West really does take me back 35 years (35 years!! - now there's a scary thought!).

I've always thought of the Limby version as being pretty good too (especially for its time), but to have put together a decent fleet with interior and exterior lighting in particular would have been a lot of work and not worth it in my opinion. If I had already done that work by the time Bachmann's version came out last year, I'm not sure the improvements would have been worth upgrading to (I guess it would have depended how good a job I'd made of it!).

I have one more 101 to add still - the later 1980s style with black cab window surrounds and ScotRail branding. It's a shame Bachmann didn't start with a 3-car version but hopefully they'll move on to that in time. If they do, I just hope they'll make the centre car available separately but that might be too much to wish for.

A couple of other types at least still to come on WW for the late 70s/early 80s era too - the 122 (Dapol) and I think the 116/117s (Kernow Models) frequented Waverley too. The late 1980s are mostly already catered for with my 107, 150, 101s and 108s.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

are you not wanting a Strathclyde PTE Class 101 to make an appearance too?

I'd have to agree about the 3-car version though, had the model they've released been 3 car I'd have had one by now, but when its just 2 car I'm not so sure

The Hamilton Class 116s would have come over on the Shotts line

are you not wanting a Strathclyde PTE Class 101 to make an appearance too?

I'd have to agree about the 3-car version though, had the model they've released been 3 car I'd have had one by now, but when its just 2 car I'm not so sure

The Hamilton Class 116s would have come over on the Shotts line

Ideally Gordon, yes, definitely.

I have a Strathclyde-livered "107" (i.e. a Bachmann 108 in disguise) which will do for the time-being.

Thanks for the tip re. the 116s. I wasn't sure which line they worked.

Hi Dave - Don't forget the class 104s. i have a couple of shots on Flickr of unit 457 (53504+59228+53556) which was active in the 1980s.  Think one of these could be made from a Hornby 110.

Edit to add - there is a good resourch for this class of unit on http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/class+104

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

• RMweb Premium

Dave - in Scotland in the 1970s and 1980s, there were a lot of hybrid units knocking about, and at one stage, Ayr and Hamilton in particular would just about couple together just about anything with a blue square above the buffer beam - I personally saw a set made up of a couple of singles, and a couple of assorted trailers working from Glasgow Central to Shotts, the formation being cobbled together by Hamilton!  I'm not sure whether these masterpieces actually ever arrived in Edinburgh, but given the state of the stock, and the need to run the services, just about anything went.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

Dave - in Scotland in the 1970s and 1980s, there were a lot of hybrid units knocking about, and at one stage, Ayr and Hamilton in particular would just about couple together just about anything with a blue square above the buffer beam - I personally saw a set made up of a couple of singles, and a couple of assorted trailers working from Glasgow Central to Shotts, the formation being cobbled together by Hamilton!  I'm not sure whether these masterpieces actually ever arrived in Edinburgh, but given the state of the stock, and the need to run the services, just about anything went.

Thanks for the info Stewart. It's that rag-bag of units and liveries that I'm trying to recreate over time. I believe there was a fire at Ayr depot in 1984 which put the cat among the pigeons as regards general DMU availability in Scotland for a while afterwards. I've also seen Class 122s making up 3-car units with a 101 driving trailer and centre car. A 108 centre car in a 3-car with 101 driving trailers also seemed to be a common combination, but as you say there were many others. 

As you say, just about anything went. All the more variety for Waverley West though!

Cheers

Dave

Forgive me for intruding on this discussion about mixed DMU's and without wishing to sound argumentative, what exactly IS the problem with using mixed stock?

Mr 45156 makes it sound like that alone is enough of a reason to wonder whether the train manages to complete its journey in one piece.

Years back the Bletchley to Bedford line had a DMU TC and a DTCL (can't remember class) being used as dragged stock behind a 31 due to the one remaining serviceable power car developing a terminal engine failure. That is a more unusual sight, seeing a 31 shunt DMU's at Bedford (easy at Bletchley)- and no before anyone asks this isn't the time that 2 31's were used with a pair of MK2s all on hire from Fragonset, I'm talking around 1990.

There's also a photograph somewhere on the internet of a DMU driving carriage, 57ft suburban carriages and other assortment being dragged behind a steam engine- and it was remarked that the probable cause of this unusual mix was that the booked (brand new) DMU had failed and it was a case of assemble anything with wheels.

• RMweb Premium

Mr 45156 makes it sound like that alone is enough of a reason to wonder whether the train manages to complete its journey in one piece.

Not quite my point, perhaps I phrased it wrongly. My point was really that the units had to be put together that way to cover failures etc, and the comment about making it to Edinburgh was actually a question of history - did these sets get that far off Hamilton as I personally never saw one with an Edinburgh destination, and the furthest I saw one going from Central was Shotts, and my point was really did they penetrate the rest of the route to Edinburgh.