Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks guys.

Here are a few more pics.

First a few continuing the speed theme, as 50044 heads a railtour north of Edinburgh...

post-7247-12652859886648_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12652861075265_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12652862238321_thumb.jpg

Followed by a few close-ups of Heljan's 26s and 27s...

post-7247-12652863970262_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12652865729085_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12652866889394_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave

The Pictures look superb as always... Loving the Class 50 Shot... What Camera do you use for those shots...?

The 26s & 27s look even better in the Maintenance sheds...

Keep up the fine work mate, love looking at the photos of you??™re layout...

Regards Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Absolutely superb - this really does have the atmosphere - I can almost smell the diesel under the canopies and feel it eating into the legacy of a student hangover as I catch the Glasgow Push Pull to connect with the half four ex Queen Street (27 powered) to get home to Fort William. Happy days... B)

Gus

Hi Dave

The Pictures look superb as always... Loving the Class 50 Shot... What Camera do you use for those shots...?

The 26s & 27s look even better in the Maintenance sheds...

Keep up the fine work mate, love looking at the photos of you???re layout...

Regards Jamie

Thanks Jamie. I now use a Canon EOS500D and my mum's birdwatching tripod, although the earlier shots were taken with a Canon Sureshot S40.

Dave,

Absolutely superb - this really does have the atmosphere - I can almost smell the diesel under the canopies and feel it eating into the legacy of a student hangover as I catch the Glasgow Push Pull to connect with the half four ex Queen Street (27 powered) to get home to Fort

William. Happy days... cool.gif

Gus

Thanks, Gus. Glad to have brought back some happy memories (though maybe not about the hangover!). They certainly were happy days.

Hi folks,

My first batch of Mk 2ds are now complete. Hope to post some pics soon. I have now started on a second batch which should give me all the air-con Mk2's I need. I'm not really looking forward to doing another batch so soon but I thought I'd get them done. It will be quicker in the long run.

Have just booked my train tickets to go to Model Rail Scotland. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Am looking forward to it already.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Hope your well. I can't beleive your photography keeps getting better and better - they are all great shots but the way you captured 50044 with the sunlight and shadow behind the cab is outstanding - a very strong contender for how real are your models!

I like your future plans for a class 60 - in sector livery that would look superb on your layout - a nice howes sound chip in it as well would be the finishing touch!

Keep up the great work!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics and a quick update.

post-7247-12676201088_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126762036162_thumb.jpg

I'm still working away on my second batch of ScotRail and InterCity Mk2d's. They're not far off completion now though, so some pics of these should follow soon. The ends and roofs just need doing now.

After a great day out at Model Rail Scotland on Saturday, I've realised how much detailing there is to do on Waverley West. The layout itself has not seen much work recently as I've been concentrating on stock resprays, but I think it's about time I added some of those details I've had in mind for so long.

It was great to meet some fellow RMWebbers on Saturday too. Always nice to be able to put faces to names.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 3

Hi folks,

Had a night operating session last night. Should've been working on my coaches but I wanted to play trains and take some photos instead. biggrin.gif

View of Waverley from halfway up the Scotts Monument...

post-7247-126778521947_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12677852427_thumb.jpg

Will post some more shots later but thought I'd just start with a couple.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 5

Hi again folks,

Here are a few more pics as promised.

Part of the National Gallery on The Mound...

post-7247-126780047719_thumb.jpg

A late night DMU from Fife wends its way through Princes St. Gardens...

post-7247-126780050417_thumb.jpg

A close-up of the 108...

post-7247-126780075898_thumb.jpg

The station roof and Waverley Bridge...

post-7247-12678005666_thumb.jpg

A busy Waverley at night...

post-7247-126780091883_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126780095259_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126780100079_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126780102945_thumb.jpg

That's all for the moment, folks. Now, I really must get on with those coaches...

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

Hi

How long have you been building Waverly West?,The level of detail is outstanding,The station building is of the highest standard cool.gif

Regards

Lewis

Thank Lewis. I started the layout in late 2003, so just over 6 years now. Many more years work left to do yet, though. I think I have more plans for the layout now than when I started.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

those night time pics i have to say are fantastic! I especially love the atmospheric shot of the dmu approaching the station, supurb!

As others have said keep the pics coming, this is a fantastic layout :D

All the best,

Mark

Hi Dave

Great night photos mate...

About time you sent them in to Model Rail for partII, Lol

Cheer

Jamie

Thanks Jamie and everyone. Ben Jones of MR has suggested an article on layout lighting, so that could be a possibility.

Hi Dave,

those night time pics i have to say are fantastic! I especially love the atmospheric shot of the dmu approaching the station, supurb!

As others have said keep the pics coming, this is a fantastic layout biggrin.gif

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks. I'll keep posting as long as people want to keeping watching!

Progress on my Mk 2d's has ground to a halt again as I've run out of weathered black for the roofs. While this is on order, a split headcode 37 has entered the works for conversion to 37043 Loch Lomond. This basically involves restoration of the nose end doors.

Here are a couple of shots of my progress so far.

The body has been dismantled and the nose ends carefully prised away...

post-7247-126821423476_thumb.jpg

The nose end doors have been restored. They need a bit of tidying up but they're getting there. There's nothing like an early morning sun and a closeup photo for showing up the bits you thought looked quite smooth the night before!

post-7247-126821425111_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Apologies if this has already been fully explained but what work are you actually doing on the Mk2d's? I have acquired a number of similar coaches, some in blue/grey and some in Intercity livery. The blue/grey ones have been re-wheeled but unfortunately not the Intercity ones. They are all in excellent condition and don't compare too bad considering their age but what would you suggest needs to be done to improve them? What exactly have you done with yours?

Mick

Hi Dave,

Apologies if this has already been fully explained but what work are you actually doing on the Mk2d's? I have acquired a number of similar coaches, some in blue/grey and some in Intercity livery. The blue/grey ones have been re-wheeled but unfortunately not the Intercity ones. They are all in excellent condition and don't compare too bad considering their age but what would you suggest needs to be done to improve them? What exactly have you done with yours?

Mick

Hi Mick,

Like you say, considering their age they're pretty good models. I firstly rewheel them with metal wheels, usually Bachmann's. I then replace the couplings with Bachmann's Mk 2 long type. This really brings the coaches much closer together. I also paint the interiors and fit passengers. I then respray the exteriors. The quality of the original paint finish is really where these models show their age. Otherwise, they're excellent generally. Some new ones to modern standards would be nice, but in the meantime they scrub up quite nicely I think.

Here are some shots of my latest, "nearly finished" batch...

Firstly, a shot of a completed interior with passengers...

post-7247-126864889267_thumb.jpg

Secondly, an almost complete ScotRail second open...

post-7247-1268648926_thumb.jpg

And the InterCity version...

post-7247-126864897245_thumb.jpg

I am also "converting" one of the ScotRail coaches to a TSOT (trolley buffet), which doesn't involve much more than painting the red stripe above the windows and fitting a "Buffet" sticker behind the end window (not yet done)...

post-7247-126864917109_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of close ups showing the much closer coupling achieved by using the "Bachmann Mk 2 long type"...

post-7247-126864902473_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126864908073_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, folks. Any comments welcome!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 4

Not wishing to sound too picky Dave but the only TSOT I've found with a light grey stripe on the top of the doors so far is 6605. 6604, 6614 and 6619 all had the red stripe continued around the door (plus 6607 in blue and grey). I've not found photos of 6601 or 6613 so if you've got a photo of either of these I would be interested to see.

Gotta say though...love the layout and the stock. :)

Not wishing to sound too picky Dave but the only TSOT I've found with a light grey stripe on the top of the doors so far is 6605. 6604, 6614 and 6619 all had the red stripe continued around the door (plus 6607 in blue and grey). I've not found photos of 6601 or 6613 so if you've got a photo of either of these I would be interested to see.

Gotta say though...love the layout and the stock. smile.gif

Hi Flood,

No 'pickiness' taken. I used a photo of 6605 as a basis and assumed they were all the same. I really should know better by now. Not sure why I didn't opt to number the coach 6605 in the first place seeing as I had a photo of it to hand. That's my brain for you. Oh well.

I presume 6605 had a replacement door fitted at some time then? And that it may have been different on the other side?? I don't have a photo of 6613 unfortunately. I guess I'll extend the red stripe around the door then, seeing as it's more likely to have been that way, it's easier than renumbering it.

Thanks for that Flood. Interesting and a lesson once again to always find a prototype photo!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Incidentally, Flood or anyone else for that matter - what colour upholstry did these ScotRail liveried coaches have during the 80s? Was it the standard InterCity upholstry (i.e. maroon in the case of 2nd class coaches) or was it blue?

Dave

Incidentally, Flood or anyone else for that matter - what colour upholstry did these ScotRail liveried coaches have during the 80s? Was it the standard InterCity upholstry (i.e. maroon in the case of 2nd class coaches) or was it blue?

Dave

Reading in British Rail Mark 2 Coaches (Harris) it was only the refurbished Mk2Fs (plus the RMBTs and I/C Mk 3s) that got strawberry seats. All the Mk2Ds and Mk2Es kept their blue seat interiors with teak panels to just below the windows until late 1988 when Polmadie, Springburn and Doncaster used grey and apricot moquette and carpetting to 40 coaches for Anglia and 116 coaches for cross country services. All the internal Scottish stock kept their old interiors.

Graham

Reading in British Rail Mark 2 Coaches (Harris) it was only the refurbished Mk2Fs (plus the RMBTs and I/C Mk 3s) that got strawberry seats. All the Mk2Ds and Mk2Es kept their blue seat interiors with teak panels to just below the windows until late 1988 when Polmadie, Springburn and Doncaster used grey and apricot moquette and carpetting to 40 coaches for Anglia and 116 coaches for cross country services. All the internal Scottish stock kept their old interiors.

Graham

Brilliant, thanks for that Graham.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Those shots and details of the work you have done on your coaches is excellent - you have achieved a very good finish on them and the interiors painted do help to bring them to life. I only have 2 for Rannoch coverted using overalys for the sleeper as there is no way I could get a paint finish like yours and the coupling swap looks like it makes a massive difference so I will need to remember that one and give it a go at some point. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Superb night photos! Very impressed.

On your 108, did you modify the interior lights? I assume that this is the Bachmann model. What other details / modifications did you make? I have a 108, but lights are not as good as yours.

Thanks