Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Didn't the wires break through to Waverley (on the ECML side) around 1992/3? It was about a year after the 91's were inflicted upon the poor people of Leeds and York iirc.

I'm sure it was Summer 1990 that the Edinburgh OHL was energised for the first time, so installation in the years upto that.

But did 91 see the first running of the 91's between EW and KX? Or was the OHLE only energised to Berwick then? I can't remember that far back myself as I lost interest in railways when the tories won in 1991 and it became clear what would happen to the railways. (not a cue for a political argument btw, just a lamentable fact (whether that's the election or privatisation I will leave up to you)

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I thought that by the time the ECML went 'under the wires' everything was raspberry ripple.

Peter

Hi Peter, I think it was, (I'm really no expert!) I was just using this as an example of how great layouts like this with big stations or junctions look great with early electrics, always modellers licence of course, there was no wires on the bootle branch but I might get some points on my licence and stick some up in the future ;)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. Some very interesting thoughts with the general consensus being "no wires" if I'm not mistaken?! 

Fear not guys, I think it's highly unlikely WW will ever be covered with wires, for the foreseeable future at the very least. The period covered by the layout covers what were basically my spotting years and extends from the end of the Deltics in the late 70s/early 80s through to the sector era and the replacement of many loco-hauled services by 15x units and the arrival of the wires. 

Although it would be great to run 86s, 87s, 90s and 91s, as previous posters have said, Waverley during the 80s saw a fascinating variety of distinctive diesel classes with a lot of character (20, 25, 26, 27, 37, 40, 47/7, 55 and HSTs to mention just a few - many with distinctive Scottish embellishments too). WW without those just wouldn't be the same as far as I'm concerned. 

The idea of wiring the layout was more an idle thought about what I'd do if I ever got bored with the layout as it is (another idea is a snow scene). I have too many plans though for that to be even a possibility for many years to come though. I also like the idea that the layout is some sort of historical record of Waverley as it was throughout much of the 80s. That's not to say electrics won't ever run on WW. I already have an 85 and I doubt I'll be able to resist at least a couple of the new Bachmann 90s. They might just have to run without the wires though. Maybe some "drags" might be in order.

I believe the official completion of electrification through to Waverley took place in 1991 with initial energisation early that year. That's not to say sections of it weren't energised earlier though of course and erection of the masts would have been started some time before that of course.

Cheers

Dave

PS Derek - by "Rasperry Ripple" I think Peter is referring to the InterCity livery of the late 80s/early 90s with the red and white stripes.

• Like 6

Hi again folks,

While I'm here I just thought I'd post a quick update.

After many years with a drought of 47s (well, excluding 47/7s anyway), WW is about to be inundated by them...

Four Heljan bodies are now nearing completion. These have had their handrails replaced with wire versions and their roof grills replaced by etched ones. They have now also been renumbered and varnished.

For varnishing I used a can of Humbrol enamel satin varnish for the first time and was very impressed by the results. Varnishing with an airbrush has always been a bit of a hit and miss affair for me with some variable results, but I was impressed by the ease and speed of using the aerosol, as well as the quality of the finish. This might just become the standard method for me now, as I did all four 47s in a matter of minutes.

Here are the duffs in their current state. They are now ready for weathering. The plan is to start weathering and fitting sound decoders to my Bachmann fleet of sector era 47s (still in their boxes). These will replace my Heljan 47s from the same era, enabling the chassis to be cascaded to these Heljan 47s in true BR make-do-and-mend style.

From left to right, they are:

1. 47553 (this loco was a bit of a migrant in the 80s but was based at Kingmoor in 1985),

2. 47076 City of Truro (based at various WR depots - CF, BR and OC - during the 80s),

3. 47464 (Inverness/Eastfield) 

4. 47004 (spent much of the 80s at Eastfield after acquiring a silver roof at Stratford). This one ended up being a complete respray after a disaster with Superglue.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

post-7247-0-32524700-1422355871_thumb.jpg

On the layout front, I have been working away on a bridge which will form the scenic break at the East Yard (Haymarket) end of the layout. This bridge is based on the former Caledonian Railway bridge which crossed the Edinburgh - Glasgow line just east of Haymarket. It was still in existence in 1971 and demolished some time after that (not sure exactly when - anyone know? I haven't been able to find out). I was thinking this would be modelled as a disused double track line with rusty rails and plenty of weeds. Some nice modelling potential there I think.

Hope to be back soon with an update on my progress with the bridge including some piccies this time.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 13

Hi all

I just thought I'd post a quick update on my recent progress.

My latest project is a bridge which will form the scenic break by Haymarket East Yard. As I mentioned in my last post, this is based loosely on the old Caledonian Railway bridge which used to cross the Edinburgh to Glasgow line just east of Haymarket depot. 

The backscene is set to be replaced at some point anyway, so the clash between the bridge and the old backscene (i.e. the houses on top of the railway!) will be corrected as some point.

Here are some shots of the current state of progress with the new bridge. The girders and railings are just loosely placed as a trial fit and so are a little bit wonky, to use a technical civil engineering term.

post-7247-0-78700400-1422873793_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-32058000-1422873810_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-13688100-1422873836_thumb.jpg

56013 passes under the bridge under an MGR...

post-7247-0-91093300-1422873824_thumb.jpg

Obviously the design of the bridge has been modified to suit the location and the available materials, but I think overall it is a passable representation of the bridge that used to stand here, for my purposes anyway, and it fulfils the aim of creating an interesting scenic bridge. The bridge will be double track railway. I had originally intended to make it completely overgrown, but the idea of putting a shunter and a few wagons to trundle up and down it is beginning to appeal. That doesn't mean to say it can't still be overgrown of course.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16

Definitely no wires but perhaps you could go back to steam in BR days or even NBR ,just a thought.

No, there'll be no wires lms, I think it's safe to say that.

As for steam, I've been working hard on Union of South Africa recently to try to bring her back to life following running problems, but without any success. In the meantime, I've bought a replacement and that is due to enter the works shortly. Very frustrating as generally it's been a pretty good runner over the years but I just cannot get her working again properly, so the only solution is to start again I think. Hopefully I will be able to move the sound chip across to the new loco. It's been too long since I had a steam excursion on WW. I have a rake of maroon of Mk 1s ready to enter the works too for the excursion stock. One day I'd like a K4 (perhaps a K1 would be a reasonable substitute??) and maybe a Black Five too. I have some LNER-style green and cream Mk 1s waiting in the wings too. 

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

Thanks Alex. Fantastic. There are some superb atmospheric shots there. And those liveries are making me think it really is time to roll on a few years at WW again into the second half of the 80s.

Thanks again. 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Alex,

Some very nice pics on that website including a few pics of a train I was on.

Now lets talk about you looking at pics of class 26's. Something you want to tell us. lol

Cheers Peter.