Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

No, there'll be no wires lms, I think it's safe to say that.

As for steam, I've been working hard on Union of South Africa recently to try to bring her back to life following running problems, but without any success. In the meantime, I've bought a replacement and that is due to enter the works shortly. Very frustrating as generally it's been a pretty good runner over the years but I just cannot get her working again properly, so the only solution is to start again I think. Hopefully I will be able to move the sound chip across to the new loco. It's been too long since I had a steam excursion on WW. I have a rake of maroon of Mk 1s ready to enter the works too for the excursion stock. One day I'd like a K4 (perhaps a K1 would be a reasonable substitute??) and maybe a Black Five too. I have some LNER-style green and cream Mk 1s waiting in the wings too. 

Cheers

Dave

Went on a "history" trip to Edinburgh back in '77 or '78 the history teacher was our school Rail Society organiser  - needless to say went spent all day round Haymarket :D

Remember seeing Union of South Africa in HA for restoration - image has always stuck with me since then -  what a machine.

Ian

...he also did the same for York when the NRM was in its infancy - top bloke sadly missed.

• Like 1

Went on a "history" trip to Edinburgh back in '77 or '78 the history teacher was our school Rail Society organiser  - needless to say went spent all day round Haymarket :D

Remember seeing Union of South Africa in HA for restoration - image has always stuck with me since then -  what a machine.

Ian

...he also did the same for York when the NRM was in its infancy - top bloke sadly missed.

Sounds like quite a history teacher you had, Ian! Jealous, me?  :jester:

The UoSA is undoubtedly my favourite steam loco of all time (despite generally otherwise being a GWR man steamwise). I had a private viewing of her at Markinch back in the 80s and, like you, the memory of that has stuck with me ever since and always will. It's been quite a while since I've run my 00 version on the layout and replacing it is now top of the list of workshop projects, alongside a Haymarket-based 08, once the 47s are done.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The UoSA is undoubtedly my favourite steam loco of all time (despite generally otherwise being a GWR man steamwise). I had a private viewing of her at Markinch back in the 80s and, like you, the memory of that has stuck with me ever since and always will. I

Mine came much much earlier when John Cameron was still trundling her up and down on the Lochty Private Railway - ISTR that this would be around 1971/2.

• Like 1

Mine came much much earlier when John Cameron was still trundling her up and down on the Lochty Private Railway - ISTR that this would be around 1971/2.

Yes, I remember going on that in the late 70s I guess it would have been. I think they had an NCB saddle tank running the day I was there. Happy days.

Edited by Waverley West

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I remember going on that in the late 70s I guess it would have been. I think they had an NCB saddle tank running the day I was there. Happy days.

Don't know if when you were there, there was a "TIcket Office" sign in ScR blue, but it was from one of the (then) disused stations in Glasgow, which was left there when the line was abandoned, and which had been there until liberated - don't ask how I know that. 

Don't know if when you were there, there was a "TIcket Office" sign in ScR blue, but it was from one of the (then) disused stations in Glasgow, which was left there when the line was abandoned, and which had been there until liberated - don't ask how I know that. 

I can vaguely remember the little hut they used to use as a ticket office, but no more Stewart, and no, I shan't ask.

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Some very nice pics on that website including a few pics of a train I was on.

Now lets talk about you looking at pics of class 26's. Something you want to tell us. lol

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, I have always liked 26s, it may be due to the fact that I didn't see many of them. Loved them in Original Railfreight.

Not sure after spending five years working on Boxenby that I could face starting again on a Scottish based TMD layout!

Hi Peter, I have always liked 26s, it may be due to the fact that I didn't see many of them. Loved them in Original Railfreight.

Not sure after spending five years working on Boxenby that I could face starting again on a Scottish based TMD layout!

Hi Alex,

Same here, living near Southampton we didn't get to see any. Luckily I saw their bigger brother most days. I saw my first class 26s in action in 1985 and have always liked them and the class 27s. I thought the railfreight livery really suited them too. 

I am sure you could have one on Boxenby on it's way to or from an open day or railtour duties. I have a few for a future project the Heljan loco is a great model.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-11122000-1423038694.jpg

• Like 8

Peter and Jeff, many thanks for posting the photos of 26s, that is just how I like them! Whilst they are lovely photos and much appreciated, could you please just stop it now as I have just been on eBay looking at Heljan Railfreight 26s! I need to stop this now.......

Nice photos Dave. Can I ask what the van is doing on the platform?

Whilst they are lovely photos and much appreciated, could you please just stop it now as I have just been on eBay looking at Heljan Railfreight 26s! I need to stop this now.......

[Activate Blofeld voice\]

It is too late for you now, Mr Grimley. There will be no escape. 

[Deactivate Blofeld voice\]

Nice photos Dave. Can I ask what the van is doing on the platform?

I've seen a few photos with a yellow BR van parked there so I thought it would be a point of interest. I'm not actually sure why it was there though so often though. Anyone know? 

Dave, seeing as you are going to be Blofeld, I am now James Bond and I get the Aston Martin! :blum: :smoke:

I almost purchased one this morning but managed to resist. For now anyway! It is hard enough getting funding approved by Mrs G for a loco let alone trying to justify one that I do not need or doesn’t fit my project!

It certainly makes a nice point of interest.

Hi folks,

Well, the times they are a changin' down on WW....

The Deltics have been withdrawn and Large Logo 47s are now taking over many long-distance services not covered by the HSTs.

I had a sneak around the yard at Haymarket this afternoon when no one was looking, managed to catch a few of shots of 47546...

post-7247-0-68180300-1423240369_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-91279400-1423240193_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-75602400-1423240262_thumb.jpg

The plan is to put model trees in front of those on the backscene. Shots like these are a bit cruel on them.

Hope to be back soon with some other shots I took down at the depot earlier today.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

Type 3 & 4 power, 80s style...

post-7247-0-73645100-1423242620_thumb.jpg

47510 was just setting off for Haymarket...

post-7247-0-97374000-1423242593_thumb.jpg

There were even some sorting coaches in the East Yard...

post-7247-0-57010500-1423242711_thumb.jpg

A little later, 47644 also set off for Waverley, past some staff vehicles...

post-7247-0-02455300-1423242765_thumb.jpg

47546 again, just before departure..

post-7247-0-93440700-1423242924_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 13