Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks for the details about your enhancements to the Mk2d's Dave and for the photographs which illustrate it clearly. I was initially a bit wary of purchasing what turned out to be a total of 11 Dapol Mk2ds but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice they actually look. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle a full repaint just yet but its something to consider for the future.

As I'm still a bit 'green' when it comes to all this, can I ask, did you simply fit the required wheels into the bogies or did you also fit bearings? The wheels on the ones I have that had been re-wheeled by their previous owner are a very loose fit and when placed on track you can actually move the body of the coach sideways to some extent. Would bearings be a possible solution do you think?

Mick

Thanks guys, I'll get round to answering your questions, but I just have a quick video to post in the meantime.

I hope this works, haven't done it for a while. Hope you like it if it does!

55007 Pinza arrives from the south at Platform 15 (and yes, I know platform 15 should be a bay platform!)...

I have a longer one to make up but I need to find a bit of time to do it. Watch this space!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Hi again folks,

Well, the longer video didn't take long to do in the end. Here it is...

55007 heads north from Waverley bound for Aberdeen. The Deltic has been fitted with an SWD sound chip and bass reflex speaker.

I hope it shows what a good job Steve at SWD did with the sound chip.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

A bit noisy! Only joking cracking videos especially the run round the whole layout - I have never actually ever heard a real Deltic and after seeing your video of one setting off from Waverley would like to see a real one do just that - have to hope for a rail tour in the future - not the same as the 67 I saw leaving the other day on the 17:08 Fife cicle service - the driver did his best with a blast of the horns and good acceleration but not the same!

Thanks,

Mark

Chris - any chance of an update from George Square?

Grrr George Square is mine - "taybridge" with no space, based here in Melbourne. :unsure:

"Tay Bridge" with the space is (confusingly) my brother who has his Glasburgh sheds in Fife! :blink:

No update just yet... I have started to weather the track and it's a long, boring job...

Doug!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry Doug blink.gif You know, I did wonder, but when I went and checked and saw taybridge on the old site I just figured you'd changed your handle for the new boards.

I was in Edinburgh at the back end of last week, and I never stop being amazed at how this layout captures the feel of Waverley and Princes St. so well.

Dave - stunning in all aspects; a credit to you and an inspiration to us all. Loved the deltic clip - especially the ultra realistic flickering light under the rufueling canopy wink.gif .

Looking forward to seeing more!

Sorry Doug blink.gif You know, I did wonder, but when I went and checked and saw taybridge on the old site I just figured you'd changed your handle for the new boards.

I was in Edinburgh at the back end of last week, and I never stop being amazed at how this layout captures the feel of Waverley and Princes St. so well.

It really is very, very authentic. I just love it.

Hi Dave,

I have just been catching up on your thread, the coaches look great. I really need to improve mine, did you use transfers for the red/blue and white lining ? I quite like the idea of doing a Scotrail one to mix in with my Euston - Holyhead trains I remember seeing one on a Manchester - Poole train so I guess they did stray from Scotland accasionaly. I noticed that you have changed the wheels, I looks like one of the coaches has 14mm wheels and I am sure they should have 12mm wheels.

The Deltic vid is great icon_thumbsup2.gif can't wait to see a pair of 33s on a railtour, they would sound cool.icon_lol.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave,

Those shots and details of the work you have done on your coaches is excellent - you have achieved a very good finish on them and the interiors painted do help to bring them to life. I only have 2 for Rannoch coverted using overalys for the sleeper as there is no way I could get a paint finish like yours and the coupling swap looks like it makes a massive difference so I will need to remember that one and give it a go at some point. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Mark

Thanks Mark. With your modelling skills, I'm not convinced about you not being able to get the same paint finish though!

Hi Dave,

Superb night photos! Very impressed.

On your 108, did you modify the interior lights? I assume that this is the Bachmann model. What other details / modifications did you make? I have a 108, but lights are not as good as yours.

Thanks

Thanks mudmagnet. The main modification I've made to my 108s is to change the destinations to something more suitable - they both have Edinburgh Waverley at one end. At the other, one has Kirkcaldy and the other has Dundee. I have also fitted sound and weathered them. They could do with full buffer beam detail really, as I don't tend to you them coupled up much. I have also installed passengers and a driver + secondman.

post-7247-126920419039_thumb.jpg

Other than that they should be the same as yours. Are you sure the connections between the lighting boards and the pickups are making contact?

Thanks for the details about your enhancements to the Mk2d's Dave and for the photographs which illustrate it clearly. I was initially a bit wary of purchasing what turned out to be a total of 11 Dapol Mk2ds but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice they actually look. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle a full repaint just yet but its something to consider for the future.

As I'm still a bit 'green' when it comes to all this, can I ask, did you simply fit the required wheels into the bogies or did you also fit bearings? The wheels on the ones I have that had been re-wheeled by their previous owner are a very loose fit and when placed on track you can actually move the body of the coach sideways to some extent. Would bearings be a possible solution do you think?

Mick

Considering their age, the Dapol Mk2ds are a pretty good model and scrub up nicely I think Mick, though I'm no expert. I have experienced problems with sideways movement of my coaches. Bearings would definitely be a possible solution I would say, but it might be an idea to experiment with different sets of wheels. Some may be a better fit than others. I have some old wheels which seem to fit well enough.

Hi Dave,

I have just been catching up on your thread, the coaches look great. I really need to improve mine, did you use transfers for the red/blue and white lining ? I quite like the idea of doing a Scotrail one to mix in with my Euston - Holyhead trains I remember seeing one on a Manchester - Poole train so I guess they did stray from Scotland accasionaly. I noticed that you have changed the wheels, I looks like one of the coaches has 14mm wheels and I am sure they should have 12mm wheels.

The Deltic vid is great icon_thumbsup2.gif can't wait to see a pair of 33s on a railtour, they would sound cool.icon_lol.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Yes, I used Fox Transfer's lining. They're a good way of making the stripes, although they are still tricky to get straight enough. I drew pencil lines on the coach sides where they were to go and that helped a lot. I have a photo of a ScotRail Mk2 air-con coach in a NE/SW formation behind a 50 on Dawlish sea wall, so I think they roamed pretty far and wide!

And yes, they should be 12mm wheels, not 14mm ones. Eagle-eyed PCM strikes again! wink.gif

Just how tempted are you to buy say, a few Class 150/158's and maybe some 220's? and run them on Waverley. I'm almost certain if i was in your position i would have done so by now, heh.

Sam

Hi samkiller42,

I have a couple of 150s as well as a 158 and 220. The 158 and 220 are in the loft, awaiting the time and money to fit sound in them. I have enough stock to run Waverley in 2006 mode, but unfortunately a fair amount of time and money will be required to get them ready to run. One day! The 150s are part of my sector mode era though, which will probably return to Waverley West soon when I finish my Mk2ds (this week I hope!).

While I'm here, I thought I'd post a few more pics...

post-7247-126920491657_thumb.jpg

post-7247-126920463336_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12692046974_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Your comments are too kind - but apart from the few Cambrian kits I have hand painted which I am fairly happy with I don't have an airbrush for doing locos or coaches but it is something I want to learn to do in the future as it will be a skill worth having but the amsies overlays have been a compromise I am happy to live with for now on the sleeper MK2's. I really enjoyed those clips of the 27 - is that the Howes chip as it does sound really good - I enjoyed watching one at Model rail scotland and admit I could be tempted to run an earlier period at Rannoch one day as a result! The photo of the 108 looks really good as well and if you do requests would like to see a video clip of one of your sound fitted units leaving on the Kirkcaldy stopper next time your having a play!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

Your comments are too kind - but apart from the few Cambrian kits I have hand painted which I am fairly happy with I don't have an airbrush for doing locos or coaches but it is something I want to learn to do in the future as it will be a skill worth having but the amsies overlays have been a compromise I am happy to live with for now on the sleeper MK2's. I really enjoyed those clips of the 27 - is that the Howes chip as it does sound really good - I enjoyed watching one at Model rail scotland and admit I could be tempted to run an earlier period at Rannoch one day as a result! The photo of the 108 looks really good as well and if you do requests would like to see a video clip of one of your sound fitted units leaving on the Kirkcaldy stopper next time your having a play!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

An airbrush is definitely worth the investment, especially as it enables you to model whatever era you want, rather than having to pick and choose from what is available RTR. Those overlays are good, but their biggest weakness is the lack of relief I think, which makes you (well, me anyway) not want to look too closely at them. They certainly look good from a distance though and with today's complicated liveries they definitely make for a good compromise like you say.

If you do decide to go for an airbrush, go for the best one you can afford (I use an Iwata TR2 which I like very much) and buy a decent compressor too. Don't use aerosol propellants (which I did for several years). I struggled for some years to get decent results but I'm reasonably happy with the consistency of my results now, although I still have disasters occasionally! As long as you protect or remove the glazing on a model, it's just a question of wiping it all off and starting again, so you can't go wrong really.

Yes, the 27 chip is a Howes one. I like it a lot, although I only have a 23mm speaker in there at the moment. If you could squeeze a bass reflex speaker in it would be even better I think. Space is a bit tight inside the Heljan 26s and 27s though. They're some of my favourite locos though, no doubt about it, so I'd recommend backdating Rannnoch some day, definitely!

Yep, I do requests and I was thinking of doing a 108 video soon actually, as I do like the Bachmann units. Watch this space!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave

Loving the YouTube Vids... I would choose Howes every time for easy moving and reaction times are by far the best on the Market... so thanks to Brian at Howes!!!

I love the Class 27, which I also have like you, im now after the Class 26... And Yes Howes is my preferred choice.

I have the Class 108 which was my first of the DMU's in sound and I have to say the Howes Class 108 is the best DMU sound I have had, beats the 153, 158 and the 150 any day, with all those gear changes, I recommend them. Look forward to hearing your Howes 108 on the uplink to it Dave...!

Love the night scene photos... they are excellent mate... love how you have captured the light shining down on the Class 108 and just about on the 26 down near the side wall of the station, really good...

Cheers again Dude...!

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback on the class 108. I will re-check the lighting connections on my 108. I need to have a look at it when I get chance, as when running on a non-DCC layout over the weekend, after a while it stopped working, so may be a problem with the pickups or worse! Will need to check that the decoders still work ok. I used two decoders as these older Bachmann DMU's do not have the wiring across the two units. I've been looking at running some small connectors across, but found a sensible solution.

I need to add drivers / passengers as well. I agree that buffer details would be worth doing - I only intend to run on it's own, so no issue with couplings.

The close-up of the 27 looks fanstatic. Extremely realistic - are you sure this is a model? The weathering is spot on. Very impressed.

Great pixs as always. Don't watch the vids due to our connection being so crap over here.

I always wonder why peoples buffer beams look so good yet mine are rubbish even though they have the same attachments fitted!

Cheers, Jerry

Great pixs as always. Don't watch the vids due to our connection being so crap over here.

I always wonder why peoples buffer beams look so good yet mine are rubbish even though they have the same attachments fitted!

Cheers, Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

This layout is amazing - and having read the article in MR I can only dream of creating something half as good as this.

Is it true you only did it in 6ft6in x 3 ft ?

Do you have any other sites/info on this layout ? Or if not, do you have a more detailed layout diagram than the one in the magazine - it would help to give an impression of how the track is run ? (and how you fitted it all in).

Cheers

Mat (Very envious!)