Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

This layout is amazing - and having read the article in MR I can only dream of creating something half as good as this.

Is it true you only did it in 6ft6in x 3 ft ?

Do you have any other sites/info on this layout ? Or if not, do you have a more detailed layout diagram than the one in the magazine - it would help to give an impression of how the track is run ? (and how you fitted it all in).

Cheers

Mat (Very envious!)

Thanks Mat.

It's true in that the Waverley part of the layout fits into 6ft 6in x 3 ft. The entire layout though is around 16ft x 8ft at its widest.

I don't have any other sites on this layout (apart from my youtube site, but I post all my videos on here too). There is the original RMWeb thread though:

http://www.rmweb.co....t=31806&start=0

This also has a layout plan but MR used my plan in the end, so it's the only one I have I'm afraid. There are some shots earlier in this thread (or maybe towards the end of my last thread) which I think show more clearly how I fitted it all in.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Waverley West

I have to say that this layout keeps me mezmerized! you are truly an insparation to us all! Where did you get your DVT trailer from for your push pull set as i am looking for one or if needs be the kit for one? This is a great layout! Loved reading about it in Model Rail the other month.

I also have very much enjoyed this thread - amazing level of detail.

I feel really sure that I've been there, but unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with Edinburgh to be sure. I rode the train twice from Stirling to Edinburgh to attend the Fringe Festival. If this isn't it, it seems close. But that was a few years back and my memory is dim (wish I had taken more photos.)

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback guys. Always appreciated.

The blue/grey DBSO (they're officially DBSOs by the way, rather than DVTs because they have passenger accommodation) was built from a Hurst Models kit many moons ago. The ScotRail one was bought on ebay. Both are in need of an upgrade really (lights in particular) but they'll do for now.

The long-running saga of my Mk 2ds has still not drawn to a close. All they need now though is some final weathering. I am also looking into the possibility of fitting them with Keen Systems couplings. I have recently been distracted by moving onto one of my Bachmann Mk 1s.

I removed the excessive roof ribbing on this and painted the interior and fitted passengers. I was so pleased with the results that I now have 5 more Mk 1s going through the works. They are all to be renumbered as Scottish examples and fitted with Keen Systems couplings and coach ends.

Hence the delay to my Mk 2s. Work on 37043 is also ongoing. I really wish I would stick to one project at a time. I might actually complete something then!

Anyway, that's enough rambling. Here are some shots of various coaches nearing completion.

First up, a couple of shots of the modified Bachmann Mk 1s...

post-7247-127115960483_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127115963506_thumb.jpg

Next, a ScotRail BG, produced by replacing the InterCity red stripe, renumbering and the roof ribs removed. The roof was then resprayed (but still needs final weathering).

post-7247-127115966749_thumb.jpg

Next some ScotRail Mk 2ds...

post-7247-127115990986_thumb.jpg

A closeup showing the ScotRail window destination stickers...

post-7247-127115987363_thumb.jpg

Next an InterCity BSO. This has had wire handrails fitted either side of the guard's door...

post-7247-127115982178_thumb.jpg

And finally some InterCity Mk 2ds SOs...

post-7247-127116009077_thumb.jpg

and a closeup of the window stickers again...

post-7247-127115996416_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, folks. Hope you like them! Any comments welcome of course.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

• Like 5

Hi Dave,

The coaches look great, I sanded down the ribs on my MK1s but didn't remove them comppletely sort of which I had. rolleyes.gif What colour did you use for the coach roofs? It looks close to the what I have used.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave,

The coaches look great, I sanded down the ribs on my MK1s but didn't remove them comppletely sort of which I had. rolleyes.gif What colour did you use for the coach roofs? It looks close to the what I have used.

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Thanks. The photos are a little deceptive as I have left slight traces of the ribs (or at least intended to!), as per the prototype.

For the blue/grey Mk 1 in the picture I used Railmatch roof dirt toned down with weathering powder. That's what I've used for most of the others I'm working on at the moment, but I've also used GWR Freight grey for a couple, as roof colours on Mk 1s in particular seem to vary quite a lot.

I used Railmatch weathered black for the InterCity and ScotRail ones, again toned down with weathering powder.

I managed to get round to painting the wheels for all the Mk 2s with a frame dirt/roof grey mix and doing some final weathering last night (I like to put a dirty wash into the door frame recesses in particular), so after a quick dusting with weathering powder and reassembly, they will be finished at last, well apart from maybe some Keen corridor connections/couplings anyway. Yeehaaa!! I've only been working on them for three months on and off... unsure.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

Thanks. The photos are a little deceptive as I have left slight traces of the ribs (or at least intended to!), as per the prototype.

For the blue/grey Mk 1 in the picture I used Railmatch roof dirt toned down with weathering powder. That's what I've used for most of the others I'm working on at the moment, but I've also used GWR Freight grey for a couple, as roof colours on Mk 1s in particular seem to vary quite a lot.

I used Railmatch weathered black for the InterCity and ScotRail ones, again toned down with weathering powder.

I managed to get round to painting the wheels for all the Mk 2s with a frame dirt/roof grey mix and doing some final weathering last night (I like to put a dirty wash into the door frame recesses in particular), so after a quick dusting with weathering powder and reassembly, they will be finished at last, well apart from maybe some Keen corridor connections/couplings anyway. Yeehaaa!! I've only been working on them for three months on and off... unsure.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, when I was doing my MK1s I spent a bit of time looking at pictures to try and get the right colour, the more I looked the more I noticed different colours, I mixed up Humbrol Black and a dark grey in the end. I might try Railmatch on the next lot as I have a nother rake of MK1s to do myself.

Cheers Peter,

I really wish I would stick to one project at a time. I might actually complete something then!

Never seems to work out like that though, does it? ;)

Particularly like the destination stickers, how have you done those?

Never seems to work out like that though, does it? wink.gif

Particularly like the destination stickers, how have you done those?

Hi Ragtag,

The ScotRail ones are a much-reduced scan of a full-sized one I bought on ebay, done on a computer.

The InterCity ones were also scanned and reduced, but this time from a book.

If my printer was good enough, you would be able to read them!

Hi Dave , I agree with Ragtag those destination stickers are great..! like many others I collected them of trains we travelled on in the 80s including the "Scotrail-Express"..Edin-Glas. first time i`ve seen them on a model , Excellent work .. cheers keith.(YVM)

Hi Dave,

Its great to see those coaches - the work you have done on them is very good and as others have said I don't think I have seen those window stickers used before either. I really need to add an up to date charter rake for Rannoch and seeing some of the conversion work you have done on your Mark 1's is very helpful as those roofs do look good - I also like your attention to detail with the people as it adds a lot to the overall effect. The weathering also looks spot on especially the underframes and bogies. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks guys!

As the sun gets higher in the sky, it's backlighting season again on Waverley West, so here are a few shots taken last night...

A busy Waverley Bridge...

post-7247-127131956377_thumb.jpg

One of my new buses, a Fife Scottish something or other waits to pick up passengers...

post-7247-127131959527_thumb.jpg

A Gresley BG waits in platform 11...

post-7247-12713200561_thumb.jpg

And finally an "improved" Bachmann Mk 1 SO nearing completion leaves Waverley on a well-loaded Perth service. This one just needs renumbering to a Scottish example now...

post-7247-127131973238_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 4

Dave this is simply amazing!

The attention to detail is amazing, and your stock is magnificent! anyway, enough exclamation marks for now, and more question marks - I've just come across this, and i have a few questions (sorry to seem a bit stupid lol). what gauge is it (i presume something around OO)? and what track do you use?

This has given me a lot of inspiration for my own layout i'm planning, which would be around the BR Blue era.

Thanks, crubba

Dave this is simply amazing!

The attention to detail is amazing, and your stock is magnificent! anyway, enough exclamation marks for now, and more question marks - I've just come across this, and i have a few questions (sorry to seem a bit stupid lol). what gauge is it (i presume something around OO)? and what track do you use?

This has given me a lot of inspiration for my own layout i'm planning, which would be around the BR Blue era.

Thanks, crubba

Thanks crubba. No need to apologise at all. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Yes, it's 00. I use Peco Code 75 "finescale" 00 track throughout except for most of the two track main line section, which is Peco Code 100 concrete sleepered track. Peco didn't do code 75 concrete sleepered track (or points) at the time the layout was being built but they do know I believe.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd post a few more pics...

First up, a backlit shot of a 27 leaving for Dundee...

post-7247-127179405819_thumb.jpg

Next, another closeup of a completed Bachmann Mk 1 with a modified roof and fitted with passengers...

post-7247-127179402076_thumb.jpg

Finally, a couple of shots of one of my favourite locos on the layout (as if you hadn't guessed that already)...

post-7247-12717940982_thumb.jpg

post-7247-12717941425_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jon,

Please keep the photos coming! Your modelling and photography is some of the best I've seen, very inspirational. It is impressive that you have fitted so much into a relatively small space - proving that you don't need a huge layout to built something realistic.

Hi Dave :)

Just love the latest pics - especially the 27'. I was doing a bit of shopping in Edinburgh last Monday at Harburn getting all my stuff together for new layout and wandered into the 'gardens' for a spot of lunch (was such a nice day) and had a peek into the Waverley approaches - honest Dave the layout is almost as good as yours mate.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

Thanks Bill/Jon. Bill - that did make me laugh!

Just thought I'd post a few pics taken last night while the layout was bathed in sunshine...

post-7247-127201859972_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201904022_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201895238_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201916862_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201863203_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201907206_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201919588_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127201927155_thumb.jpg

I have been working away on my Bachmann Mk 1s over the past couple of weeks, reducing the roof ribs and fitting passengers. I think it's a very worthwhile exercise and doesn't take very long. I've nearly finished 13 coaches in two weeks, which for me is intergalactic speed.

I also have some new platform lights to install which look much more like the ones at Waverley. These need a little modification to make them look even more like the originals. I've never been happy with the ones I used before but they were the best I could get. I think the new ones will make a big difference to the overall look of the station. After that, it's time for a bit of detailing of the station and Princes St Gardens areas I think, if I can drag myself away from detailing stock, that is.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 3