For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Stubby's 2012 Corner Module #1

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Keeping to the suggested theme of the South West, my module will based on views that can be seen around Truro - a viaduct crossing the skyline with several roads and buildings beneath. Depending on the requirements of the project set up, the viaduct may be straight, or built with a 90° or 180° curve.

I'll try to base most of the buildings on real ones from towns in Cornwall. I have a few already either complete or part-complete, or earmarked for building at some point in the future. However, I'd be happy to accept suggestions from anyone for anything they'd like to see in minature (just as a challenge !).

For example, this will be included :

post-7025-0-17683800-1296124718_thumb.jpg

This will be completed :

post-7025-0-33557200-1296124829_thumb.jpg

And this will be built :

post-7025-0-89245000-1296124933_thumb.jpg

The module itself probably won't be started until after this year's party, but the design is largely dependent on how many other modules are built and how much floorspace the good Captain can allocate.

So don't be shy, come and join in.

Edit: 11th April 2012

All of the above is tosh... as none of those buildings, nor the Starcross Pump house have made it on the final module.

• RMweb Premium

And this will be built :

post-7025-0-89245000-1296124933_thumb.jpg

Hey Stu , you've been snooping round my garage have'nt you . :lol:

Like you my module wont be started yet , I want to get the fiddle yard sorted first , Tigger has done a great job

on working out the wiring for these , things I could not have managed for interesting operation .

I hope we get a few more builders to join in , once I start mine I will post up some details .

Now , where is that fiddle yard board . :unsure:

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having been collared by the Good Captain at the Three Spires show today, we have agreed that the module project will occupy the smaller room at Staplegrove. We will be able to use the rear and left walls ( as you walk into the room), so will need a 90 deg corner unit.

So, that's what I need to build.

I'm still intending to build it as a viaduct, giving space around it for plenty of buildings.

Once the 2011 Challenge is complete ( and I've got ideas for 2 more dioramas !), then I'll be able to make the baseboard and then add the builidings one by one.

It's going to be a busy winter !

• RMweb Gold

Stefan,

There are some great bits 'n' pieces in that link - thanks!

I'm busy planning the corner module at the moment, so those detailing bits will help decide the types of buildings I can add.

Cheers

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok, it looks as if I'll definitely be making a corner module for the project.

The intention is to have a 90 deg curved embankment & viaduct, with buildings both in front (below track level) and behind (above track level).

I've got some of the buildings already, either built or planned, but what I'd like to do is include more iconic, recognisable buildings from the south west.

So, please can I have some suggestions of buildings (with photos if possible) you consider would both represent the south west and be fairly well known.

Ta

Stu

• RMweb Gold

What about a Cornish Tin Mine in the background

http://www.penwith.c...ndeen/pen11.htm

Nuffin mor West Country than that ;)

Well, yes, an engine house is a safe option, and there are plenty within a few miles of me that I can use as a prototype.

In the same vein, I could use a conical clay tip on the backscene - again, instantly indicates the area is Cornwall.

But, I'm after specific buildings (which will be put on the module in a completely non-prototypical formation), to allow the viewer to go 'Oh, that's such-and-such'. (That's if I can make the model look anything like the original...)

• RMweb Gold

Oh, ha ha !

The Eden Project. I know its modern but it is iconic

Oh, ha ha !

Whilst I have to agree it's iconic, I think its a little big for the baseboard and it would be a real pig to make all those hexagonal and pentagonal windows.

So I thank you, but that idea is definitely on the reject pile.

A specific castle might be Restormel Castle, by which the Cornish Mainline passes fairly closely.

Although it is fairly "small" (for a castle) and a former Norman motte and bailey design, the perfectly circular walls on top are still over 125 feet in diameter.

The mound and ditches make the footprint even bigger.

My educated guess is that this is still way too big as your module size won't accomodate it, unless only a segment was modelled.

• RMweb Gold

And this rather attractive/interesting lineside factory/foundry building can be found 'down your way' of course -

post-6859-0-67063000-1319046730_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-79175800-1319046758_thumb.jpg

Not sure where that is Mike, it looks like Camborne ? It's also a lot bigger than I need.

Which leads me to...

Truro Cathedral?

More realistically, how about a castle of some type?

As I've only got until April, I think Truro Cathedral is out, but I like the idea of a church (this one is one I've always wanted to do)

post-7025-0-92210000-1319095531_thumb.jpg

As for a castle, again I think it would be too big for the space available.

A specific castle might be Restormel Castle, by which the Cornish Mainline passes fairly closely.

But, I have to say a big thanks for all of the suggestions, please keep them coming in.

• RMweb Gold

So does that mean that Brunel's bridge across the Tamar is also out!

What about Mol's coffee house opposite Exeter catherdral - I know this was modeled many years ago by Maurice ... (can't remember his last name)?

I've no idea what this looks like, but it sounds a famous place - I'll use google street map & have a look.

Ta

(In a similar way, I've always wanted to model Captain Jack's buger bar on the Barbican at Plymouth, with all the moving items, but maybe not in 4mm...)

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Yes, St Mawes is a nice little castle, as is the harbour.

What I really need to do is plan te size of the baseboard so I know how much room I've got to put things - it might be that something like this makes an idea focal point and/or a reason why the viaduct had to be on a curve...

Archived