For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Stubby's 2012 Corner Module #1

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

What about a Cornish Tin Mine in the background

http://www.penwith.c...ndeen/pen11.htm

Nuffin mor West Country than that ;)

Why not a typical/generic Cornish tin mine and engine house?

Well, yes, an engine house is a safe option, and there are plenty within a few miles of me that I can use as a prototype.

In the same vein, I could use a conical clay tip on the backscene - again, instantly indicates the area is Cornwall.

But, I'm after specific buildings (which will be put on the module in a completely non-prototypical formation), to allow the viewer to go 'Oh, that's such-and-such'. (That's if I can make the model look anything like the original...)

Thanks CK, but I've ruled that idea out as a main building, though one might appear on the backscene.

• RMweb Gold

A good start has been made on the module today - SWMBO was threatening to throw all my wood out !

The 90 deg curves should be at a radius of 30" and 32.5", which should be enough for a reasonable speed, plus I'll add a bit of super-elevation.

Photos later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Jan, there may well be room for a Cornish cross somewhere.

No photos, but all woodwork now complete, including the track bed.

There is plenty of room behind the track, so I'll need to choose which buildings I can add and see how they fit together. The front has less room, and due to the frame I've not got room to add a road underbridge, so I think a level crossing might be used.

I think we'll need a second corner module, so if anyone else fancies a go, please let me know ( or I'll have to do it, and you know how wacky my ideas can be...!)

• RMweb Gold

Stu, how about the pumping houses at Starcross?

Not only did I not know what the Pump House was at Starcross, I didn't even know where Starcross was...

But, a quick trawl of t'interweb using turned up several pictures of a very imposing and ornate building. At first, I thought it was too big and complex, but the idea gnawed at me and I kept looking for more & more information.

So, I've decided to make a rmodel of how it looked when it was first built, rather than how it looks today.

A quick thumb-accurate measurement in 4mm scale give dimensions of 240mm wide by 340mm long by 420mm high - which is very big by my usual standards. I had intended just to use card for construction - I will now probably make a strip wood frame first to give the model some rigidity.

Photos will appear when I've something to photograph.

In the meantime here are a couple of links : Wikipedia Panoramio

• RMweb Gold

I spent some time yesterday working out how to build the frame - and how much wood I'd need. Turns out, if I build it to the dimensions specified, it needs over 5m of wood...

So I need to ensure the size I'm planning is correct.

In the mean time, I've mocked up a 3d image of it in Sketch-up.

post-7025-0-69529700-1320931003_thumb.jpg

I've not added the windows as yet, nor any of the fancy corbels, but it definitely has a presence already.

• RMweb Gold

After a quick play with Google Streetview ruler, I've discovered I'd overestimated the size of the building - not by much, but enough to make a difference.

So I've probably bought too much strip wood (for this project - it will get used somewhere ).

Final preparation tonight, then the build proper starts tomorrow !!

• RMweb Gold

I have worked out the frame for this building will need 33 separate pieces of stripwood. Not quite in Ron Heggs' league, but a challenge for me to get them all cut square and to length.

Then I'll need quite a bit of card and, did I mention, all the blockwork will be laid as individual pieces?

• RMweb Gold

....and, did I mention, all the blockwork will be laid as individual pieces?

What a stupid thing to say.....

I've just estimated the bricks I'll need for this..... approximately 4,700 !

So I'm now on the hunt for some regular stretcher bond brickwork, with each brick about 8.75mm x 4.5mm. Slaters might be suitable, or SEF...

• RMweb Gold

Ok, folks, here we go !

I've conceptually split the building into three parts : what appeared to be the main office building, what was probably the engine / pump house itself, and of course the tower (chimney ? )

I've built the frame for the office, although on reflecton it's not high enough, and for the pump house. The tower will be built separately and added later.

Once the frame was built, I started to create the pump house walls from my normal 1.5mm mount card. I've cut out large appertures for the windows as I'll make these as one piece each that just fits to the outside of the wall.

post-7025-0-88569700-1321058524_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-31181600-1321058559_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure whether I need to complete the back wall windows and doors, as the way the building will be placed they will not be seen, but, as the module is not a permanent layout, I probably will add these. As I said, the office is not high enough, so I'll be adding taller card for the walls and using the roof to complete the strengthening.

Comments and suggestions, as ever, are most welcome.

• RMweb Gold

That look superb Stu , I wish I could do buildings that actually 'look like buildings' instead of a mass of

badly glued card with a brickpaper covering . :unsure:

Here are some shots of card covered in brick paper.....

Firstly a low level shot from what would be the south east of the real building.

post-7025-0-80483600-1321138449_thumb.jpg

This one is more from a hot air balloon crossing over the coastline.

post-7025-0-45958300-1321138477_thumb.jpg

The office walls have been extended upwwards by about 30mm. The obvious bit missing is the tower, but I'll leave this until I've got the windows, doors and protruding brick courses added to the main shell.

The paper is scalescenes 'Aged brick', but printed at 200% to give bigger blocks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps ! (Not too sure on which level you've being entertained, Pete, but as long as you're happy...)

I took the part-completed Pump House to meet the Module earlier - I'll not be needing as many buildings as I thought, as this takes up quite a bit of the real estate.

post-7025-0-70603300-1321208459_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, I've printed off more brick sheets( what a brilliant invention these were !) and cut the stripwood to 300mm lengths.

I've also started to add the protruding rows of bricks - these are just very thin strips of card with the brick paper wrapped around :

post-7025-0-30186800-1321208631_thumb.jpg

Hopefully some more progress tonight and then during the week at lunchtime (being careful, of course, to keep all modelling tools in the boot whilst travelling B) ),

• RMweb Gold

It's never straight forward.....

This photo (used under the Wikipedia Common licence) shows a trackside view from 1979.

post-7025-0-00840400-1321275254.jpg

Clearly there is a bricked up door on the side wall, plus above it a brickled up window.

This photo, from 2009 (used under the Wikipedia Common Licence) shows that the door is now in use (although the window is still blocked up.

post-7025-0-14918900-1321275277.jpg

This photo, from about 10 minutes ago, shows that the door will be used but the window (in fact all the windows) have disappeared altogether...

post-7025-0-69927300-1321275302_thumb.jpg

(Please note there has been no attempt to use a forced perspective on this model - all non-horizontal lines are really there...)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard,

It's all the little bits that make up the whole, which take a lot of effort for not a lot of obvious gain, if that makes any sense.

Once the various brick embelishments are there, it looks right ( well to me) but there is no major signature feature.

It's fun to do though.

Next I need to find the correct place on the module, and then plan what I'll need to around it. Oh, and lay some track, too!

Archived