For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

Stubby's 2012 Corner Module #1

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
Are you intending to model all those Italianate corbels? It looks quite "challenging" if you are

Yes I am, as they are quite distinctive. I have at least two options, either find a suitable molding ( stripwood or plastic ) and cut lots of slivers, or use plastic rods and angle pieces to make the profile, then slice. I doubt I'll find anything commercially that would suit.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok, time for an update on this module.

You may have seen my two 2012 scratchbuild entries, plus the little stone building at the end of MI3. These, plus a couple of other bits of card buildings will be strategically placed on the module baseboard, at various levels, surrounded by suitable bits of greenery.

The front edge will be curved, and will feature an embankment, through which will pass the cattle creep.

It's all a bit virtual, at the moment, but I have a photo to sort of explain things. And yes, there are only 18 days to go...

post-7025-0-93177800-1334149842_thumb.jpg

Ok, time for an update on this module.

It's all a bit virtual, at the moment, but I have a photo to sort of explain things. And yes, there are only 18 days to go...

post-7025-0-93177800-1334149842_thumb.jpg

It's a "Visual Basic" rather than "virtual" - the textbook tells us this :no:

Yes I am, as they are quite distinctive. I have at least two options, either find a suitable molding ( stripwood or plastic ) and cut lots of slivers, or use plastic rods and angle pieces to make the profile, then slice. I doubt I'll find anything commercially that would suit.

Those Corbels!......Whilst at the Taunton extravaganza, and between mouthfuls of the Capt'ns Pasties, ask around for someone owning a Router who may have a set of cutters of suitable shapes to profile a wood strip to the shape you need. (Have a sketch / profile on a "Wanted" poster to hand). Then all you have to do is to notch out the individual brick shapes, and you already have the gubbins to do that!.

• RMweb Gold

Some peace and quiet (apart from Planet Rock) has give me time to do a bit more.

The lane leading down to the cattle creep is in, I've added a second parapet & main wall to the creep and also one of the wing walls. The ground levels are basically there for this area and the first building now has it's raised base.

post-7025-0-65644900-1334356442_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-12499700-1334356538_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A couple more photos of progress from Friday night and Saturday morning (before rain stopped play...).

This is looking across the module, showing the start of the terraforming and placing of the buildings.

post-7025-0-90815000-1334562298_thumb.jpg

This is a view that won't be seen as the backscene will be in the way, but it shows the slope of the lane leading to the cattle creep.

post-7025-0-93084600-1334562306_thumb.jpg

This is making rapid progress and looking really good . Not surprised that "rain has stopped play", as you seem to have been using a Super "Fun" Water Gun as an embankment construction aid (if my upside down reading skills are up to scratch)

• RMweb Gold

My lad brought the gun back from a party, the cardboard was just the right sort for the embankment.

I'm actually trying to use as much re-cycled cardboard on this module as possible - just to see how it stands up to the rigors of a portable section of model railway.

There is a slight warping of the main baseboard, but the trackbed still seems flat and the addition, on the warped end, of the overbridge / tunnel (not sure which yet) will add some weight.

As for making rapid progress, there are only 13 days to go, and nothing is finished !! (3 modules, bridges, connecting wires nor my little surprise item...)

• RMweb Gold

A quick visit to Kernow MRC has seen the aquisition of some more track, some wires and a pack of various gates & stiles.

Tonight, I shall be mostly making hedges...

Edited for numpty spelling mistake...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard, but progress is not quick enough.

To help resolve this, I commandeered the kitchen ( for that read 'asked politely') this evenIng and have added some more contoury bits.

SWMBO offered to get me some hanging basket liner, the sort we all know and love. However she bought a papier mache version instead, which I have carved up to form some of the aforementioned contours, so all is not lost.

From now on I will not be adding anymore photos until after the party, to hopefully surprise a few visitors. Apologies to those one or two who may be following this.

Archived