Flexible Corugated Tin?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have some small sheets of quite thick wriggly tin in OO. Will be OK for small flat roof sections.

One project ( a GWR sand shed) needs a curved wriggly tin toof of quite small radius. Does anyone make thin flexible wriggly tin for 00?

Also,

Next model after that is an ash shed which has large expanses of flat corugated roofing. Does anyone sell A4 (ish) sized sheets?

I have been to my local supplier who didn't have any (the assistant was is, the expert away - so he couldn't assist), and I have also been to my local hobby superstore who sell all sorts of Evergreen products, but no wriggly tin.

AMBIS Engineering

27 Stanhope Gardens, Ilford, Essex , IG1 3LQ

Catalogue: price list 20p

Worldwide Export: Yes

Scales: 4mm, 7mm,

We design and manufacture primarily etched components for modellers for 4mm or 7mm scales. This includes a lever frame with optional mechanical interlocking and the Eastwell Ironworks corrugated iron products.

Remember that corrugated iron came in relatively small sheets that were overlapped to cover large areas. Unless this is reproduced in the model the resulting structure will look very odd.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. I do remember that it comes in sheets and needs to be overlapped in reality and replicated in the smaller world. The thick stuff I have is beautifully detailed and overlapped. Too thick to bend tho.

M.I.B., I've just found an old, forgotten email that I received from Alan (same address) in response to a request I made in September 2009.

He says, 'Our 'corrugated iron' products are available in aluminium and copper foil.' So, not tin, if that's what you specifically want. Don't know if he's started using tin since then.

Trying to persuade "wriggly tin" to curve against the grain, IE so that the curve is in the long vertical length of the sheet rather than across, was always very difficult, and I believe that the ones used for Nissen or Quonset huts were rolled that way especially. It might be worth looking for somebody providing a kit for one in the scale you need - I think if the stuff you are looking for is flexible enough to bend - it will actually fold rather than bending, and ruin the effect.. You can get rollers ( look at craftkits) for crimping card, which may help. - There was a discussion on an earlier incarnation of RMweb, but I can't find it! The sort of think is made by Fiskars and example is here http://1stclass.myla...r_Home_made.pdf

• RMweb Premium

M.I.B., I've just found an old, forgotten email that I received from Alan (same address) in response to a request I made in September 2009.

He says, 'Our 'corrugated iron' products are available in aluminium and copper foil.' So, not tin, if that's what you specifically want. Don't know if he's started using tin since then.

Foil is fine or even plastic - the "tin" part comes from it's military name "wriggly tin" (because soldiers can't spell corrugated".)

• 2 weeks later...

You could try this method, it's pretty straight forward and may be of some use to you?

This was a 1/35 scale dutch barn but the same principles apply to any scale. It would just be a case of finding a suitable card

Build the structure - I used thin card for the "corrugated iron". You might find it at a craft/hobby store

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN041.jpg

Take some spray mount or similar and some household foil. Spray the card with the spraymount and work the foil into the ridges of the card using a soft sponge and a cotton bud. If it rips in places it doesn't matter and in fact adds to the end result. You can even overlap the foil without trace of a join.

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN099.jpg

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN097.jpg

Next step is to weather it. For this I used Mig pigments (or any weathering powder) and humbrol paints.

2009_1118lakevrnwy0039.jpg

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN118.jpg

HALFTRACK-DUELINTHESUN106.jpg

2010_0128lakevrnwy0122.jpg

Hope this help.

Ant

I have made corrugated iron by getting a sheet of corrugated material (milled wood when I did it 30 years ago, Evergreen styrene sheet now). I tape a piece of smooth paper to the long edge and moving away from the taped side, use a pencil or old ballpoint pen to press in the corrugations. I prefer paper, but thin plastic or metal foil could be used also. By using different size and spcing of master sheet, you can create different sizes of corrugations or by skipping corrugations you can make different patterns of sheet metal siding. Some more modern siding might have one or two corrugations with 6-8" of flat metal between them.

The Slaters sheet should certainly be flexible enough to bend to a relatively small radius, however it does not have any rivet detail or representation of the individual sheets of tin.

The Wills stuff has all the detail you need, but as it comes, you'll not be able to bend it. Perhaps you could try warming it up and curving it?

Guest dilbert

The Slaters sheet should certainly be flexible enough to bend to a relatively small radius, however it does not have any rivet detail

Flexibility is not an issue - I've used this for a scratchbuilt GWR Water Tank - a pounce wheel works for rivet detail, score the card and where necessary open out the rivet detail, delicately... dilbert

Flexibility is not an issue - I've used this for a scratchbuilt GWR Water Tank - a pounce wheel works for rivet detail, score the card and where necessary open out the rivet detail, delicately... dilbert

At £2 a sheet I don't think you can go wrong with the Slaters sheets!

Do you have any photos of your scratch built GWR Water Tank? I'd like to see it if possible. Thanks in advance

Ant

Guest dilbert

I have some photos somewhere of the build - I'll dig them out at the weekend - also used the pounce wheel for the tank sides on plain plasticard - needs a firm steel ruler and hand... dilbert

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing it hopefully

A pounce wheel hey? that's a great way of getting a equally spaced rivet detail. When working with plastic sheet do you deboss the detail on the rear of the sheet so as to "pop" them out at the front?

Guest dilbert

A pounce wheel hey? that's a great way of getting a equally spaced rivet detail. When working with plastic sheet do you deboss the detail on the rear of the sheet so as to "pop" them out at the front?

That's the approach - obviously the thinner the plastic the easier it is to achieve the rivetting.. the water tank shell was of 1.5mm 'heavy card' on to which the embossed plasticard sides were glued. The central downpipe was a left over piece 10mm x10mm of aluminium (from some ancient DIY job ), Evergreen preformed plastic girders for the tank support etc.., various pieces of brass for the stays and laddering and a Bill Bedford handwheel etc.. and card formers to glue the roof to - a real material mongrel... dilbert

• RMweb Premium

The Slaters sheet should certainly be flexible enough to bend to a relatively small radius, however it does not have any rivet detail or representation of the individual sheets of tin.

The Wills stuff has all the detail you need, but as it comes, you'll not be able to bend it. Perhaps you could try warming it up and curving it?

I haven't had good results when trying to form the Wills stuff. It's too thick.

I must admit that I hadn't tried it myself, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.....

It did occur to me that Ratio do a carriage shed kit with a curved tin roof, might be worth a look? I think it's vac formed, although the radius might not be tight enough for your needs.

Picked up some today at Watford (and they were selling out fast - fortunately more than one stockist) and you can certainly bend it down to a very tight curve, though keeping it that tight may be an issue. There were other suppliers there including Ambis who had some foil corrugated iron but for the cost per tiny sheet nicking tin foil from under the eyes of "The Cook" will be a much cheaper option. Greenscene? the plastic strip people also had some sheets but they were thicker than the Slaters product.

Archived