Kinsley Colliery - Project Update

Gallows Close

Hello RM Webbers,

It has not been very rapid progress on the rapid loader, but I have been busy.  The bunkers have all been fitted with clam shell doors and weathered.  They are awaiting the fitting of hydraulic rams, which although well hidden from most angles I think will enhance any photos taken under the loader.  I have also knocked up a control cabin from a few scraps of plasticard and the clear packaging that surrounds almost every children's toy (well it has been Christmas - shame to waste it ....). Finally, the brick base for the building has been added, painted and weathered.

post-6842-0-25425400-1357073483.jpg

Here it is plonked in position.  I need to add a handrail, paint, weather and it's done.

post-6842-0-50243100-1357073552.jpg

I'm in a blue phase at the moment.  It is somewhere around late 1988, and we see a local train heading south towards Doncaster having just bowled a northbound MGR.

post-6842-0-69367500-1357073694.jpg

Finally, as I'm also in a class 20 mood, here a pair of choppers appear in to the light during the slow load up with another MGR for one of the Aire valley power stations.

post-6842-0-57733900-1357073891.jpg

Thanks for looking in, and my very best wishes for 2013,

Chris.

• Like 10

Happy New Year Chris.

Superb work Sir.

As you are in a class 20 mood you might like these;

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJXWsCZr7Yc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/52x-Zw2eNsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice!

• Like 1

Thanks Alex, those class 20 links certainly livened up the New Year telly!

Thank you for your comments David, and a Happy New Year to you..

I have painted and weathered the control cabin, see what you think.

post-6842-0-40832600-1357494659.jpg

I have bent a couple of the handrails, as that is what you see often in reality.  It does look better in it's natural environment - here it is.

post-6842-0-02549800-1357494744.jpg

I just need to glue it in place now.

As it is the end of the Christmas festivities, I was busy taking down the fairy lights from the trees outside today.  Out of the string of 180 odd LEDs some of them had become dim, or not even lit at all with all the rain so I was going to scrap the set.  But, before I did I thought I'd try one of them on a 12 volt controller with a 100 ohm reistor in series and see what happened.  Well, let's just say I'll not need any white LEDs for a while.

Thanks for looking in and all the positive support,

Chris.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments guys, the positive feedback is very much appreciated.

I have parked the rapid loader for a short while, whilst I work out the best way to install a staircase at the open end of the structure from ground level to the conveyor transfer house at the top of the structure.  This allow me to finally paint the white steel work at that end of the building.  With that done I'll be able to install the conveyor between it and the blending bunkers.

post-6842-0-29311800-1359897133.jpg

So,  what to do whilst the rapid loader is on hold again - well it's back to the Class 307 build.  Being a layout based on the Leeds - Doncaster line just after electrification I wanted to have a Class 307 in Metro Train livery.  This has taken the form of a heavily modified Bachmann 2 EPB unit (well actually two of them).  Here it is in the making.  The photo shows the first outing of the four car train as a rolling entity.

post-6842-0-94134400-1359897165.jpg

More on my rolling stock thread.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
Guest bri.s

Awesome layout ticks all the boxes for me coal trains 37's,56's and 20's love the loading bunker and pit scene

I once had the pleasure to go to hickleton colliery sidings box and pull the leavers to let a 56 and mgr in and out of goldthorpe colliery

It will have broken every rule on the book but it was great for a young lad really enjoyed that day out

Keep up the good work ill be watching with interest

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello All,

Thanks for the comments! Sorry guys, nothing to report.  The best I can do is a couple of recent photos - I've just been playing really ! Hope you enjoy

post-6842-0-36929700-1382028230.jpg

post-6842-0-34704600-1382028239.jpg

post-6842-0-97907900-1382028246.jpg

post-6842-0-24049600-1382028254.jpg

I'm hoping to start building again soon as the poorer weather keeps me indoors.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Chris

• Like 7

Hello Jeff,

They are Bachmann ones.  The class 156 is re-engineered with a Bachcy drive train, bogies, ploughs, gangways, lights and underframe details.  The Bachmann sprinter chassis proves a cost effective option for a total upgrade of the old Lima sprinter model dating from the late '80's.

post-6842-0-96531800-1382313730.jpg

I've got two more to still do yet. I use this as my standard sprinter chassis/motor combination now across my fleet of 150's, 153'3 and 156's. I also want to try this combo with a Dapol class 155 at some point, but that needs a bit more thought and work.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello RM Webbers,

Thank you for all the recent comments, they are very much appreciated.

Although it has seemed quiet on this thread, I have been quite active with the model. The rapid loader has been positioned in its final spot and ballasted in. This has necessitated quite a bit of engineering to the track and embankments, with the result that the layout now has a much more natural flow - and of course more play value. I have uploaded a short video so that you can see how it all works together. Particularly pleasing is the loading process - no camera trickery I promise!

http://youtu.be/jTTig6C5Cu4

Hope you enjoy the film.

Best wishes,

Chris.

• Like 12