If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Peterborough North

Midlandman

Hello all

I hope I am doing this correctly - not only new to your group but new to any group and pretty useless with this contraption (age!).

A pal of mine has built a 24' x 9' shed in his garden and we are building a 7mm scale layout in it and out into and around his garden. It will be loosely (VERY loosely) based on Peterborough New England with a 4-road shed (nearly complete), Crescent Junction Signal Box (done), Crescent Bridge at one end and Spital Bridge at the other with a station based on Peterborough North from about 1951, I've beem "blessed" with doing the scenery and am in dire need of information about the station as it was then i.e. with old its platform buildings such as waiting rooms, cafés, well, general lay-out, really, Anyone help???

GSD

There was a book called Rail Centres: Peterborough published in the 1980s that is very good for peterborough north, and new england, it is a superb reference if you can find a copy. I'm afraid I cant help more than that, are you local to Peterborough? The Nene Valley railway may have a copy at Wansford, in the shop or second hand bookshop.

my grandad was a box boy at cresent junction, have a picture of him working it and hanging out the window! im a signaller at peterborough west yard (whats left of it!) and the yard layout, other than being rationalised, is very much unchanged from the 1950's. there is a book, british rail steaming through peterborough, that for 1950's pics is far better than the rail centres one although that is a superb book in itself aswell.

There was a book called Rail Centres: Peterborough published in the 1980s that is very good for peterborough north, and new england, it is a superb reference if you can find a copy. I'm afraid I cant help more than that, are you local to Peterborough? The Nene Valley railway may have a copy at Wansford, in the shop or second hand bookshop.

my grandad was a box boy at cresent junction, have a picture of him working it and hanging out the window! im a signaller at peterborough west yard (whats left of it!) and the yard layout, other than being rationalised, is very much unchanged from the 1950's. there is a book, british rail steaming through peterborough, that for 1950's pics is far better than the rail centres one although that is a superb book in itself aswell.

Hi Dan

First and foremost, I understand congrat's are in order, enjoy!

None of my family worked on the railways, don't really know where I get it from but I started 'spotting' in 1942, I used to see LMS 5538 Giggleswick pass my school every morning @ 9.50am on the dot, from a school window, she used to pull the 'Milk Train'. My first trip "out" was to Rugby on the train with a couple of pals. Into "O" Gauge now and I have a lot still to do even apart from Peterborough North so, thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can find that one. Given time to finish it, I'll post a photograph of a). the layout and B). the Crescent Bridge, you might just know that one!

Midlandman

thank you midlandman, he's sleeping hence the internet time!!! i did a quick google search for that book i mentioned and i found one, abe books has 1 left in stock, good price too as i paid double that for mine!! it can be found here http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1380146286&searchurl=vcat%3DRailways_________LNER%26vcatn%3DRailways%2B-%2BLNER%26vci%3D380235

hope that helps.

dan

thank you midlandman, he's sleeping hence the internet time!!! i did a quick google search for that book i mentioned and i found one, abe books has 1 left in stock, good price too as i paid double that for mine!! it can be found here http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1380146286&searchurl=vcat%3DRailways_________LNER%26vcatn%3DRailways%2B-%2BLNER%26vci%3D380235

hope that helps.

dan

thank you midlandman, he's sleeping hence the internet time!!! i did a quick google search for that book i mentioned and i found one, abe books has 1 left in stock, good price too as i paid double that for mine!! it can be found here http://www.abebooks....%26vci%3D380235

hope that helps.

dan

Good Morming, Dan.

Hope you had a good night's sleep!

Thanks for the information, it's ordered and underway.

Midlandman (George)

Archived