church

kev

Several old churches in London have been taken over by Evangelical and Pentecostal groups, who adorn them with rather garish signs proclaiming the salvation offered within. For example, this one in Lee http://maps.google.c...57.86,,0,-12.32 . That's not something I've seen modelled before, so it would make a bit of a change from the traditional Anglican and Catholic ones.

Otherwise there are plenty which are now carpet retailers, bookshops, community centres etc, and a few where the tower still stands but the nave has been demolished and a modern block of flats put in its place.

Paul

Maybe a slightly downmarket 'Antiques Centre' (often a bit shabby)? Or perhaps just model it as a derelict church building? A swanky restaurant? A nightclub? The last one could either be smart or tawdry, depending on the 'local area'.

It really depends on the context of your layout as to what sort of use and condition the building will be in. You're unlikely to find a smart residential or restaurant conversion in a rough part of town for example, but a shabby nightclub or dereliction is much more plausible. And vice versa or course.

• RMweb Premium

If a church is disued reuse into other than a religious building can be problematic. If a chapel is disused then reuse into something else is more of an option. The distinguishing factor is the graveyard. Most churches have them, most chapels don't.

I recall from my time spen in Norwich, however, that several of the churches there had been converted for other uses - one was a puppet theatre, another was a day drop in centre, a third was used as a martial arts centre!.I also believe that a church in York has now been converted into a pub/bar.

Neil.

I recall from my time spen in Norwich, however, that several of the churches there had been converted for other uses - one was a puppet theatre, another was a day drop in centre, a third was used as a martial arts centre!.I also believe that a church in York has now been converted into a pub/bar.

Neil.

Also depends how many bodies are buried IN the church, and many urban churches don't have local graveyards, being built after the land was used up. Many were Chapels of Ease, being associated with a mother church elsewhere in the locality. These Chapels, now mostly independent parish churches, were not often licensed for baptisms, marriages and burials , these being the province of the mother church. Hence churchyards were not needed.

Archived