D49 tenders

i am in the process of repainting, re-naming and detailing an old Hornby D49 as 62715 Roxburghshire in its final BR condition. the loco is completed but, looking at the photo's of the loco i see that she is one of the ec GCR tenders that were converted/rebuilt by the LNER. ive looked and asked around but cant seem to find a manufacturer who makes this tender. i have tried to make the original Hornby tender look similar and whilst from a distance its not too bad, it isnt right.

does anyone have any thots and or ideas.

i have included a shot of my progress so far.

post-10572-0-22465500-1296324689_thumb.jpg

PDK do a D49 kit with A GCR 3500 gallon tender and they do sell tender kits separately. Only problem is the tender kit prices are a bit steep. £70 for a tender or £98 for the full kit. Probably best to stick with what you have and try to improve it.

• RMweb Premium

Dave Alexander certainly used to do a selection of tender bodies (fairly easy whitemetal kits) designed to fit the Hornby LNER chassis.

I'm not sure who distributes DA products now (or if they're still in production) but a Google might be worth a go!

• RMweb Gold

The D49 tenders are a tricky area. Isinglas

http://www.isinglass-models.co.uk/

do a drawing of the possibilities from which I infer that the PDK kit is more nearly appropriate for the original GCR tender than the Dave Alexander and, of course, an etched tender is less heavy to haul.

Alan

Dave does both GCR and LNER 'GCR type' kits, also a heavy whitemetal tender on a 4-4-0 is a great advantage when some of the weight of the tender is resting on the rear of the loco, unless this one is still tender drive,then W/M is a must. Oh yes, price comes into the equation here as well, I think Daves tender kits are about £25, no competition for me...

Hi Worsdell,

Can't see an LNER "GCR type" (i.e.slab sided) in Dave's lists and his standard GCR is not right for any D49s. I tried using a Little engines D11 tender which was nearly right but ended up using PDK (when they were cheaper!) The fact is GCR tenders were anything but "standard".

I personally don't like loading tender weight on to the loco drawbar because the rear (fixed) tender wheels bounce through crossing gaps in an alarming way.

Kingfisher,

In case you don't have the info, Isinglass says that "Roxburghshire" got its GCR tender (number 6027) from J11 number 5303 in october 1941 and this was converted to slab-sided in 1949/50.

Alan

Archived