Another TMD/Fuelling Point layout... with station?

workev2000

Well I have finally taken the plunge and decided to start my own layout Topic (cannot fathom the Blog yet on RMWeb). RMWeb has proved inspirational to me over the past few years, starting with Chittle. So whilst I wait for the space and time to try and build my version of Gratham Shed (34F) and station in the late 50s/early 60s, I am going to try and build a layout to run my BR Blue late 70s/early 80s stock (along with a few others!).

I belong to Cheadle Hulme Model Railway Group and we are moving to use modular baseboards that will interface with the club layout ATTAM Bank. The layout will have the following requirements:

1) It will use modular baseboards (4' x 2'), with interface boards of two tracks. I will use either two boards for just a TMD/Fuelling Point or three if I can squeeze in a small station.

2) It will be fully DCC using Digitrax Command & Control. Ultimately it will be fully computer controlled.

3) I want to use more accurate track, but keep it 00. So either exactoscale or C&L trackwork will be used (or maybe Peco Code 75 if I cant get the hang of building points with cahirs and sleepers).

4) Full lighting will be included

5) I want an urban setting, or maybe "edge-of-town", ATTAM Bank has lots of countryside!

6) It will be fully signalled.

7) I am thinking of using Black Cat Baseboards, as I just don't have space or the equipment to make my own boards.

I will be using AnyRail to deign the layout initially, so will post some designs when I can.

This layout will be using new techques for me, but hopefully this wil stand me in good stead for when I attempt Grantham.

So a few questions; has anybody used modules before? I saw the Thamssiders Model Rail Group "Essex Belt Lines" at Warley (the inspiration for our club's move to modules), but it uses a single track, not double. I have downloaded the NMRA modules specs, so will use them potentially.

Secondly, has anybody used Peco Finescale points with C&L/Exactoscale trackwork?

I hope to post pictures od some of my weathering efforts soon, but not sure whether to do this here or on a workbench topic.

Anyway, I hope to contribute to RMWeb rather than just take from it!

Ian

So a few questions; has anybody used modules before? I saw the Thamssiders Model Rail Group "Essex Belt Lines" at Warley (the inspiration for our club's move to modules), but it uses a single track, not double.

MODULAR MAINLINE from Berkshire Area Group N Gauge Society in Reading is a 4 line modular expo layout but it is in N gauge - but anything that can be achieved in 2mm can be achieved in 4mm given the space.

post-1339-0-08807400-1296395035_thumb.png

This is my first idea. Sorry for the lack of words, still trying out the posting of images etc. This is based loosely on the Ipswich Stabling point, with a shed (the pink rectangle). There are two issues currently, the point close to the baseboard join, and the lack of space for scenery on the board itself.

The idea here is that the upper roads on the yellow board are the fuelling point, with a siding for the wagons to unload the fuel. Essentially this gives fuelling for two locos at a time, plus stabling for two more. The shed then houses two locos inside and two outside plus space for others such as the shed shunter. Other tracks allow for movement of locos on and off shed.

If I add a third board it will house a small station, but do I do a terminus, or run through?

Comments, please?

Ian

post-1339-0-62546400-1296498756_thumb.png

Slight modification made to the plan, but still not sure about access to fuelling point being subject to stuff going into the Goods/Cariage Sidings.

Extended the platforms which I hope will take a loco and 3 carriages, if not I will maybe put a 5' board on the end.

I also cant help thinking that the TMD/Shed rather dwarfs the station, so maybe it should be a simpler station (or of course Shed!)

What would you do?

Ian

Archived