Gaugemaster 100 with Point Motors & Lighting

Owen

Out of boredom, after recently having to take down my large layout, I've been knocking together a small micro layout (Roughly 24" x 10") using old components from previous layouts to form a small steam-era MPD.

I've chosen my little-used Gaugemaster Model 100 controller (Single panel mount job) for the layout control, but after plumbing it in to a control panel, I've realised that it only has one 12v output for driving trains. I'm really not clued up on electrics and wiring - soldering in a couple of point motors with diagrams/instructions is enough to make my brain frazzle so without any written guidance I'm stumped.

I've so far fitted, but not yet wired in four point motors (Hornby type) and I also want to connect in a Gaugemaster track cleaner (this is simple enough) and wiring for the layout lighting (using grain of wheat bulbs etc). I can't see how any of this can work with only one output, as surely the current only enters the track when the power is on (and trains are moving) - thus turning the controller into an expensive dimmer switch for the lights?

Is there any way around this, or have I simply chosen the wrong controller for the job? I have a couple of older Hornby controllers (the types that come with trainsets). Would I be better off using one of these as they do have additional inputs.

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Owen

The 100 is only of any use for actually controlling the trains - do not try to operate point solenoids or any motor or lighting off of it's 12V output or you will overload and probably damage it. The output is 0-12V anyway so is of no use for anything else. Taking power from the input side might be an option for perhaps a few LED lights but again I would not recommend that either.

You either need a controller with an auxiliary output or an additional supply.

I personally think that the track cleaner does nothing but make track dirty and not even worth the effort of wiring in, but IIRC it requires an additional 16V supply (cannot recall if it is AC or DC) but I'd leave it off anyway.

Depending on the type of points used (Tortoise can be driven off of a 9v WallWart type power pack) or (solenoids require a CDU)

Thanks for the info.

Such things are always typical - this may now cast away my intentions of building a layout on the cheap!

The next logical step would be to source a replacement control unit. As previously stated I have two unused R965 types - apart from the bulky design I see no harm in using one of these for layout control and point motors. The layout lighting could then be powered from a secondary transformer (I have plenty of these, too).

Cheers,

Owen

Nowt wrong with your 'troller. Don't replace it.

What do you power it from? It certainly does not run from a mains supply.

If you have a transformer with 2 windings, then you can power the 'troller off 1 winding & everthing else off the other.

A Capacitor Discharge Unit for the point motors is a very good investment. Gaugemaster's is just plug & play. It took me 10 minutes to fit one to a layout on Friday.

Archived