Arnold Lane 4mm sclae, 16.6mm gauge

reddiamond

Thanks Keith. Will have to be feeling very brave to try that one out although it looks the bees knees! What did you cut it with?

Chris

Chris

A deep bladed razor saw, using the back of the cabs as a guide. The depth of the blade keeps it nice and straight.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith :)

I see you have featured the 'Scenecraft' Oil Storage tanks on your layout. I recently bought one on E-bay and was disappointed how 'clumsy' it looked! However it looks really at home on your layout. I intend to use the 'Knightwing' horizontal tanks along with the Bachmann ones - but thought it might overpower them! Now I'm not so sure they will. What mods did you make with yours? and would it be possible to post a couple of close-ups?

Bill.

Just catching up on things after being away for a week playing with the big trains. ;)

To answer the questions,

Oil storage,

Bill

All i did with the Scenecraft tanks was to weather them, along with the inside base. I also had to reposition the pipework as they had to come off from the sides and not the front as supplied, the use of the knightwing plastic pipework kit was used here, along with the scenecraft pump that sits outside of the bund. I think I have a close up during layout construction (quickly looks on the hard drive). This is the best I have, will have to take some more. I added the down pipe and surrounded it with a rail barrier. Its all about adding the small detail to make it blend in and not look out of place. A good chance was made to practice some different techiques in weathering, the use of powders and acrylics for example.

David

The fuel point is a mixture of all sorts. From the canopy down I used, hunbrol metalic, white and grey for the supports, then I used the scalescenes weathered concrete printed sheets for the base,carefully cutting out the shapes required around the drains, painted with more metalic humbrol. it is then all weathered/blended in together.

Cheers

keith

post-10210-0-68944700-1297640902_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For those with a keen eye and were at Doncaster over the weekend, you will have seen a previous layout that I built to a very similar design but, based in Scotland in the 1970's. Borders Reach which featured the beheaded cabs of two Hornby 29's. :D

Looks fmailiar!

Cheers

keith

post-10210-0-97541700-1297641781_thumb.jpg

post-10210-0-38627500-1297641925_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

For those with a keen eye and were at Doncaster over the weekend, you will have seen a previous layout that I built to a very similar design but, based in Scotland in the 1970's. Borders Reach which featured the beheaded cabs of two Hornby 29's. :D

Looks fmailiar!

Cheers

keith

Perhaps we could have the latter picture of Type 5s on the home page as a fitting tribute. Impossible to comprehend that he posted this only yesterday.

Rest In Peace.

• Like 2

It is intended at this point in time by members of the C56G and SRC to honour the exhibition commitments made by Keith to display Arnold Lane at the shows he had listed earlier in this thread starting with Dereham next weekend. I personally believe this is what he would have wanted. Keith built the layout for a purpose and it seems the right thing to do to fulfill the intention he had.

I shall be getting a plaque made tomorrow which will be fitted to the layout dedicating it to his memory.

Carl.

• Like 2

Arnold Lane exhibited today at Dereham, its first outing without its much missed builder Keith. The feeling that honouring Keith's memory by fulfilling his exhibition commitment and the fitting of a brass plaque was the right thing to do was borne out by the kind words and sense of loss from those who knew him. Fortunately we have this layout (amongst others) to remember him by.

A special thank you must go to Kevin Dickerson of Coastal DCC for his expertise and generosity, without whom Arnold Lane would have had to rely on just two operable locomotives.

Who knew a track circuit fault (usually through operator error admittedly) would revert ALL the cheaper chips back to address 3? Not me!

C6T.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I came across this thread for the first time today. As I was reading it I was impressed with the layout and picked up some ideas. Then I got to the post saying that Keith died suddenly. What a real shame, I would have liked to read more from him. I'm glad to hear that the layout survives and is being shown.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 10 months later...

A nice sunny day and a trip through photoshop by a fellow group member produced these rather fetching images, followed by my own personal favourite shot and a genral view of the layout.

Just a few repairs to do since its return from Barrow Hill, it was actually stored in the cooler group of 58016 for a while before it made its way back home, via a trip in the back of a 7.5ton lorry full of class 58 and 56 spares. :rolleyes:

I also plan to add a few more lights esp, some security lights by the warehouse. Will try and get some images taken under the layout lighting some time soon.

Cheers

Keith

hello i like your depot so i has seen your layout have office next beside small tank by what for use please

thank you

• 7 years later...