What would you like to see in preservation?

Dudley Dodger

How about the B*** P****** - that would be a good talking point at any preserved railway. Maybe someone would even model it!!

Seriously, there are a number of one-offs, prototypes or small classes that it would have been nice to see preserved but then I guess they don't necessarily reflect the daily life of the railway and therefore would be hard to justify with the limited space, time and money that most preserved railways will have.

I do hope there ends up being a preserved HST one day as suggested - as long as its one with the original roaring, screaming engines - nothing quite like it!

• RMweb Gold

Personally, rather than more loco's recreated, I'd rather see more historic coaches restored to use. How many of you know that the only surviving coach from the 1924 Flying Scotsman train is preserved on the Great Central Railway?

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that BCK No. 10178 at the NYMR was also built for the 1924 'Scotsman' set.

• RMweb Gold

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that BCK No. 10178 at the NYMR was also built for the 1924 'Scotsman' set.

snapback.pngNeilHB, on 13 November 2009 - 14:27 , said:

Personally, rather than more loco's recreated, I'd rather see more historic coaches restored to use. How many of you know that the only surviving coach from the 1924 Flying Scotsman train is preserved on the Great Central Railway?

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that BCK No. 10178 at the NYMR was also built for the 1924 'Scotsman' set

Ah yes it is, just checked on their website and it was built for the 1924 Flying Scotsman train, seem to have got my wires crossed with the other guys at Rothley! Perhaps its time to have a re-union?!

More class 37's would be good!! (only joking before I get linched).

Re the HST, a complete set has already been designated for preservation by the RHC, but that is no guarnatee it won't end up like the class 502.

I think 60007 is mainline for whitby trains. Any preserved HST would have to be mainline otherwise it will just turn into a rusting hulk like APT.

60007 is a mainline engine in it's own right, and is not used for Whitby running due to the tight curves into Whitby, it has run to Whitby once but that was a one off.

J.P.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of the LNER G5, I must hove along to North Road and have a look at it (I missed it at "Rail Restorations North East" last month).

I'd like to echo the need for more historic rolling stock, whilst it is great to just be behind a historic engine, that experience is heightened by riding in the appropriate carriage stock. I recently had the good fortune to ride behind Sir Nigel at NYMR in the teak stock. Fantastic it was. Unforgettable.

10000/10001 get my votes. Might as well have them both! I think the bogies were broadly the same as the EM2s so maybe there's a few spares in Holland. Add a couple of spare 16csvt's and all you have to build would be the bodyshell. Seemples!

Forget preserving more diesel locos, how about starting to preserve a selection of 'Speedlink' era BR and Private Owner wagons. Its all good having these locos everywhere and having them haul Mk1s and Mk2s around, but where is the equivalent of the GCR Windcutter rake or the steam era mixed goods train? There are not many air-braked, through piped or dual braked 'modern' wagons in preservation at the moment and some like vans are used for stores and others engineers like ballast.

'Modern' being since TOPS was introduced and the first of the long wheelbase wagons were introduced in the early 70s like OAAs, OBAs, OCAs, SPAs, VAAs, VBAs, BAAs, BBAs etc. Plenty of Private owner wagons like PGAs, PCAs, PNAs and bogie types knocking around that aren't used anymore. Yes I know wagons aren't revenue earning in preservation unlike locos and coaches, but there will come a time when the preservation movement will regret not doing more to actively preserve run of the mill wagons. Put it this way, if my numbers came up on the lotto I would be doing a lot to make sure this happened.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of the LNER G5, I must hove along to North Road and have a look at it (I missed it at "Rail Restorations North East" last month).

I'd like to echo the need for more historic rolling stock, whilst it is great to just be behind a historic engine, that experience is heightened by riding in the appropriate carriage stock. I recently had the good fortune to ride behind Sir Nigel at NYMR in the teak stock. Fantastic it was. Unforgettable.

Hi, The boiler is still at RRNE Shildon. There are working parties every wednesday night on RSH no77 and visitors are always welcome. Just let us know you are calling in on the contact us link on www.wrlpg.com website. The G5 boiler is likely to be onsite for a while.

Regards

Paul

Which locos would you like to see rebuilt, on the preserved lines? I'd quite like to see turbomotive rebuilt. howsaboot you?

I'd like to see some of the 'workaday' classes of the old LNER (and perhaps some of its constituents) re-created. Many of these classes were scrapped before the preservation movement really got going - there was no Barry for old LNER locos. So B16, ex-GC Bx, K3, D49, D16, D20 (ex NER), J39, J6, D1 (or D2, D3), J11, O2, etc. I know the process has started with the building of the two G5's in Darlington and isn't the A1 Trust planning an ex-NER Class V Atlantic.

I suppose there is a similar argument for the locos of the old LNWR, for only the G2's lasted long enough to reach the preservation era. So, perhaps a Precursor, George V, Experiment, Claughton, etc.

What will be interesting, at least for me, will be to see the impact of modern technology and manufacturing techniques on the results of building replicas of things designed seventy to one hundred plus years ago; certainly the costs will have escalated hugely from those incurred on the originals.

I wonder how Tornado compares, operationally, to the fourty nine production A1's built 1948 - 1950?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

It might be slightly off topic, but I'd love to see the Cuckoo line recreated and operated as a preservation line in some part; possibly the stretch from Hailsham to Polegate. This is probably a complete pipedream and will have to wait until I win millions on the lottery laugh.gif so I can model the whole of the Cuckoo.

I'd love to see any of the NBL main line diesels rebuilt, but in reality we are not doing a very good job in preserving what we already have. There are too many preserved items waiting for that day for their restoration to start that are rapidly becoming basket cases. A case of too much preserved already? Although Tornado is a wonderful sight to see and massive credit to the guys who build/paid for it, but how many unique items of rolling stock are teetering on the edge of extinction could that money have restored? When we saved the Class 15 back in 2005 is was on the verge of been too far gone.

Forget preserving more diesel locos, how about starting to preserve a selection of 'Speedlink' era BR and Private Owner wagons. Its all good having these locos everywhere and having them haul Mk1s and Mk2s around, but where is the equivalent of the GCR Windcutter rake or the steam era mixed goods train? There are not many air-braked, through piped or dual braked 'modern' wagons in preservation at the moment and some like vans are used for stores and others engineers like ballast.

'Modern' being since TOPS was introduced and the first of the long wheelbase wagons were introduced in the early 70s like OAAs, OBAs, OCAs, SPAs, VAAs, VBAs, BAAs, BBAs etc. Plenty of Private owner wagons like PGAs, PCAs, PNAs and bogie types knocking around that aren't used anymore. Yes I know wagons aren't revenue earning in preservation unlike locos and coaches, but there will come a time when the preservation movement will regret not doing more to actively preserve run of the mill wagons. Put it this way, if my numbers came up on the lotto I would be doing a lot to make sure this happened.

The last time I was at the NRM in York there were some V*A vans parked up at the back beside the 108 and 08 shunter. I assume these are for preservation:

post-7040-12607225845599_thumb.jpg

Andy B)

We need more volunteers with appropriate skills to restore what's already "preserved" before adding to the sidings full of waiting projects, including plenty of interesting carriages and wagons.

Well said that man, at least some one has their feet on the ground instead of their head in the clouds. You'll always get those more interested in their pet projects rather than the more useful projects for the greater good, the main reason I lost faith in railway preservation.

Paul Mays, mechanical engineer, - former Member Of The Council Of Management at Swanage Railway.

I'd like to propose a completely different preservation project - a large secure dry storage facility for preserved locos and rolling stock.

As I see it, without wishing to be critical of the work done by preservation societies, many preservation projects seem to be a race between raising funds and the deterioration of their intended recipient as it sits in a siding exposed to weather and vandalism. Much of the damage which needs expensive work has often occurred since a loco or coach was withdrawn from service.

Therefore, if a suitable secure dry secure storage facility existed, most of this damage could be prevented. Newly withdrawn locos and stock destined for preservation could be run straight from their last day in traffic into dry secure storage, where only minimal work would be required before they could resume service in preservation. This would be particularly valuable for multiple units, which seem particularly vulnerable to vandalism and failed attempts at preservation.

Existing preserved stock currently in outdoor storage at preserved lines across the country could also be saved from further deterioration, and suitable workshop facilities by provided for overhaul and restoration.

If managed properly, I would hope that the cost of the facility would be recouped by the savings on train restoration. The difficulty would be trying to raise funds for such a large scheme, and trying to convince people of its potential future benefits. "Buy a big warehouse" doesn't have the same appeal as "Save DXXXXX". Letting a train rot is also a lot cheaper than paying for covered storage, even if it will save money in the long run.

If such an idea was to happen, now would be the ideal time for it, as large warehouse prices are probably as low now as they will ever be - anyone got a few million to get it started?

Archived