Which Microtrains for old style Farish locos/stock

MrSimon

• RMweb Premium

Hello!

I would like to fit Microtrains (or similar) couplings to various items of Farish stock I own with a view to hands free shunting/running around on my layout and a planned future layout. I understand that Farish is bringing out a knuckle coupler later in the year, so maybe it is best to wait for this, but if it is compatible with microtrains couplings I'd like to install magnets so I can finish ballasting.

I'd like to know the Microtrains part number for couplings suitable for the following stock:

- Poole Farish/Bachmann Class 31

- Poole Farish/Old Style Bachmann Class 37 & 47

- Lifelike/Taylor Class 60

- Bachmann Class 66

- Farish Mark 1 and Mark 2 coaches

- Farish Tankers

- Bachmann VGA (with normal length couplings)

I'm going to the US next month so can hopfully source a pack while I'm there :D

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Hello Simon,

Hope this helps:

Class 31 (Poole/ Bachmann) - 1129

Class 37 (Poole and early Bachmann) - 1129

Class 37 (Latest NEM fitted Bachmann) - 1015 (although this does result in a bigger coupling gap than is desireable)

Class 47 (Poole) - 1130

Class 47 (Latest NEM fitted Bachmann) - 1015 (nice close coupling gap)

Class 60 Lifelike/Taylor - sorry can't help with that one.

Class 60 Farish - 1015

Class 66 - 1130

Farish Mk 1s & 2s - replace whole bogie with 1017 (need to slightly open out pivot hole in the 1017)

Farish tankers (assume 100ton bogie version?) - replace whole bogie with 1053 (open out pivot hole as above)

VGA vans - 1133

All the above conversions work well on minimum radius curves down to 12 inches.

You may may not be too keen replacing complete bogies on the coaches, in which case 1130s may be a possible substitute. However the bogie metal wheelsets may also need changing as they can get 'grabbed' by the uncoupling magnets.

Best wishes for you trip to the US.

Cheers.

All the above conversions work well on minimum radius curves down to 12 inches.

You may may not be too keen replacing complete bogies on the coaches, in which case 1130s may be a possible substitute. However the bogie metal wheelsets may also need changing as they can get 'grabbed' by the uncoupling magnets.

and there's a second possible problem (apart from not having mentioned the first).

First, it seems a risky approach to assume that the Farish couplings will be compatible with the existing American couplings - unless there has been confirmation I've missed

Second, the benefits of metal wheelsets in terms of keeping tracks clean seem fairly significant. Are they worth losing for easier and more automatic coupling / uncoupling?

Hi OldNick,

2 good points you make there.

Can't really comment on compatibility with forthcoming Farish coupling when and if arrives. Folk seem to have various opinions on this point but I suppose we'll just have to wait until it appears for the complete answer.

On the plastic wheels issue - I only fit the 2 ends of a rake of coaches / tankers with the MT bogies so the cost is minimised as is also the likelihood of increasing any possible track fouling. All other wheelsets are standard metal ones which ride over the uncouplers with no problems. Non-bogie stock is fine with all metal wheelsets even those close to the coupling on the end of a wagon rake.

All this really depends on how much you want to shunt handsfree.

Cheers,

HC

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thanks for the information and getting back to me so quickly! I'll see if I can track down a pack of 1129 and 1130 to get started with :D Are the magnets the same as the magnets that come included with the Kato Unitrack or is there something else you can reccommend?

I must admit I'm taking a bit of a punt on the compatability with the Farish one, but I'm assuming the magnets will be the same so I can just keep the MT locos on the MT trains if they don't work together!

Not sure what I'll do about the metal wheels, I'll see whether its a problem before making a decision - I remember my Dads boxcars centering themselves on the magnets and staying put, but three or four MK2s should be heavier than one boxcar.

Now to find a Modelshop in Manhattan!

Thanks again

Simon

Hi Simon,

I've never used Kato Unitrack uncoupling magnets so cannot really comment but those supplied by Microtrains (1310) are fitted between the rails just like the Kato version appear to be. If you have yet to lay your track then the Kadee 308 is an alternative but to my mind is a bit of an overkill for 'N' gauge and it must be dead on centre with the track.

Concerning MT compatibility with any future Farish coupling - Farish have only ever mentioned producing a NEM pocket version so all your Poole era and early Bachmann era, (non NEM), stock will not be catered for by this future item in any case. So you are right that you may just need to keep the MT stock together if they don't couple effectively.

Can't see that the uncoupling magnets would be different if , (and it's a big if), the uncoupling principle is the same. Certainly it appears to be as the pictures of the new Farish coupling show the 'trip pin' hanging down from the coupling the same as the MT couplings.

I don't find metal wheels a problem with MT1310 uncouplers. Sometimes though the very lightweight bogies on coaches/ tankers/ container flats, etc. can get pulled to one side when the coupling operates. This seems to be eliminated by fitting MT bogies which have plastic wheels.

Happy hunting in Manhatten.

Cheers,

HC

Archived