For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

The first and second boards . Now a scenic addition .

Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Premium

Well despite being on work overload I thought I better make a start on the fiddle yard boards that I somehow

talked myself into making .

As these are not going to be subjected to a lot of use I have gone for the cheap and simple method ,

each board is made up from 3.6 mm ply and a framework of 20 x 18 mm batten with a thicker end piece

where the two join up .

So for the first one I have made up three frames stiffened with ply sides , these run end to end , there is

a ply stiffener across the far end and the front join has some alignment dowels fitted , the batten was cut to size

and then the ply was glued and stapled to this to make the relevant parts .

This first one is going to be the storage siding board and will also have a batten along the top sides and end to

keep stock from hitting the floor if there is any driver error . ohmy.gif

Here are some photo's of the work so far , these were taken just after finising so there is some cleaning up

to be done , also when it's all set I will see if it needs any further bracing on the underside , if so I will add a

couple of diagonal pieces of ply .

Well thats it for the first instalment , keep watching for updates as I get some more time .

post-6765-0-59481900-1296581568_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-11471400-1296581584_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-00477200-1296581626_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-07012100-1296581646_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

could i ask how light are they as im going to be using some 3.6mm ply for my baseboards

cheers david

Hi David ,

They are very light , you can carry them in one hand . Which is handy for an old fa*t like me . :D

Not come across that way of making the side beams before. How susceptible to twisting are they?

Hi Kris ,

I will know better tomorrow once every thing has set hard , as this is my first attempt at this type

of construction it is quite experimental , as stated earlier it might need some extra bracing adding ,

but again as they will be sitting on a table rather than legs or trestles they shouild not suffer to much

twist in use .

I will update tomorrow . :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have finally managed to get the basic frame of the second board done , I used the same basic structure for top and sides ,

so far there is no inner bracing as I need to see where the track and pointwork sit , as Seep point motors will grace the underside

somewhere along the centre line I thought it best to check this out before adding any further wood .

Below photos showing both side of the new board and one of the pair together .

These are really light but should be mopre than adequate for the usage they will get .

post-6765-0-22812900-1298405302_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-42621100-1298405326_thumb.jpg

post-6765-0-71656500-1298405360_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliment Kris . :D

Progress is being made but not as quickly as I had hoped , it's hampered by all the work I am doing on the bungalow where they are

being built , I hope to get some track sorted and laid soon , if I can get to a reasonable stage I will talk to CK and see if he would like me to bring them to the Taunton do , if a few people see what is going on it might encourage a few more to build a scenic module .

Looking good there Mike :D

My fiddle yard is coming along but not quite up to your stage (got distracted by my module :blink: ) must crack on with mine

PS love you dining room table ! It has that functional style about it :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

if I can get to a reasonable stage I will talk to CK and see if he would like me to bring them to the Taunton do , if a few people see what is going on it might encourage a few more to build a scenic module .

That's a great idea Mike.

If there's room in the car I'm hoping to bring Frenzied Wharf too, to give an idea of what can be done even if you have no time and no scenic skills...

post-7025-0-79761000-1298456079_thumb.jpg

Stu

Whats wrong with my dining room table , does'nt everyone's look like this . :P

post-6765-0-53488600-1298578076_thumb.jpg

I think thats obvious :O Where are you going build a module with all that stuff on the table ;)

railway modeling is what dining room tables are for (isn't it?)

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

Whilst in no way wishing to stifle anyone's enthusiasm, there is not a lot of space left at the 2011 event, so please can anyone wishing to bring anything additional to what I already know about please 'pm' me asap, and I'll see what we can do. There are options, but I just need to consider where it all goes!

The floor plan for the main event is now completed and it isn't something I now want to change around much. I will be posting the full line-up later this week, once one final piece of the jigsaw has (hopefully) fallen into place.

Many thanks,

CK

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought it time to update this project a bit .

No progress was made during the year as the house move and associated re-development

stole a lot of time , we won't mention the money , but finally over the last couple of weeks thing

have progressed quite a bit , this did involve opening up another room for work space so I now

have three distinct areas for different requirments .

First to recap on the constuction of the boards , the first one had some extra bracing added

in the diagonal plane to remove a bit of flexing .

post-6765-0-57348700-1325690024.jpg

This Board is the one carrying the four road end of the yard so the centre brace was okay here ,

as you will see later the other board was left unbraced until I had the points and trackwork located ,

this then had two diagonal sections added . There will be one more central cross piece added when

all the wireing is finished .

I am pleased with how light yet rigid these units are seeing as I bought the wrong ply .

So to current status ,

All trackwork down .

post-6765-0-87076400-1325690356.jpg

The integrated control point .

post-6765-0-24640800-1325690392.jpg

The control panel .

post-6765-0-47026100-1325690428.jpg

And the spaghetti that is the wireing .

post-6765-0-46388800-1325690510.jpg

post-6765-0-22291700-1325691055.jpg

So far all of the pointwork and associated panel lamps work as planned , the next major

step is to try and ssort out the actual control side , Tigger has given me a piece of paper

with a diagram on it but I am having a bit of a head scratch trying to understand some

of the connection points , but I'm sure with a bit more communication between us it will get

sorted .

Well just about 4 months to go , so hopefully it will be ' alright on the day ' .

More updates will follow .

• RMweb Premium

That looks brilliant, Mike !

Thanks Stu ,

it could have been better , I managed to build each part on different sides of the ply , so multi coulured

top surface , a small height variation between the two boards , so a bit of card packing to level it out ,

don't tell Kenton but the track is fixed down with pin's , :nono: . And I failed spectaculaly to get an even cut

over the baseboard joint , it's fine bolted up but the rail ends overhang one board when seperated , but hey ,

I have'nt tried to do something like this before . :scratchhead:

But with a bit of weathering ------ :jester:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's looking very impressive, Mike, excellent wiring for starters!

Thanks Tim ,

I had hoped for a slightly tidier wiring job , but having to use what I had available to keep costs

down a bit meant that I came up short with some colour choices , hence some runs do not follow

my ideal routing plan , but it does work as Tigger planned it so that is a good thing .

It has progressed a bit further now , but still about 8 more wires more to finish it .

I failed spectaculaly to get an even cut

over the baseboard joint , it's fine bolted up but the rail ends overhang one board when seperated , but hey ,

I have'nt tried to do something like this before . :scratchhead:

But with a bit of weathering ------ :jester:

Did the same with Pen Y Bont and that still works! Providing the projecting bits can be protected in transit there won't be a problem.

Looking good by the way.

Cheers!

Frank

• RMweb Premium

Did the same with Pen Y Bont and that still works! Providing the projecting bits can be protected in transit there won't be a problem.

Looking good by the way.

Cheers!

Frank

Thanks Frank , I think a bit of polystyrene taped over the end will do it , and it's only

got to do a 20 mile trip so that should be okay .

Pen Y Bont works very well . :good_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Well I finished off the wiring today , and I'm pleased to report that everything works as Tigger

devised it , all sidings can be acsessed from all tracks via either controller when the switching

is set up .

It took me a while to see how it was going to work but after a couple of e-mails with further

instructions the light finally clicked on . :paint:

Just some tidying up to do and a bit of batten around the 4 track board as buffer stops and

that will be it .

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having come to a bit of a halt on the shed layout due to the weather and the need to acquire some

more scenic items and things I decided I ought to do a scenic module to go with the fiddle yards for

SWAG day .

It is only a small linking board to bring the trackwork out to the main edge of what will be the line of

further modules .

Still some development to do , some decent grass , probably change the hedge idea for a stone

wall and add some bit's around the hut .

Here is the basic idea .

post-6765-0-19349400-1329085085.jpg

More photos as it grows .

post-6765-0-81555700-1329085211.gif

Blast , I seem to have bug in the system .

Archived