Wakefield Show 2009

jamie92208

We thought it was a good show, the 'we' being me and 3 kids. They loved the Cornish layout, the West Coast layout and the big French thing. If there is one complaint it was from my 5 year old. "I can't see they are too high." I think even if the kids had taken a step they wouldn't have been able to see. Anyway it is only a minor gripe.

What wound me up as always is the ignorant people who bash little kids out of the way. When you do your upmost to make sure that your kids are polite and not to get in the way, say 'Please' and 'Thank You' etc, they are set bad examples by some people.

On a positive note the D.C Kits people are always great with the kids and take time to speak to them, even when they are busy.

An excellent show - particularly taken with Udersfelde (East Germany in the 1980s), Bradford City Road (c. 1970 blue diesels, DCC, whistles, bells, the works!) and East Wheal Dream (the Cornish O gauge layout), especially the gently rocking boat. Suddaby was also impressed by Littleton, so look out for his intentions to go O gauge, third rail Southern electrics in green!

Retired afterwards for a late lunch at the King's Arms in Heath, the gas-lit pub.

[quote name='Leander'

......... Suddaby was also impressed by Littleton, so look out for his intentions to go O gauge, third rail Southern electrics in green!

Clearly Leander wasn't fully keeping up with developments yesterday, no doubt he was still feeling the after effects of partaking of Clarke's Blonde at the aforementioned GLP at Heath.

Yes, I was very taken with the 7mm electrics on Littleton (particularly the older emu (was it a 4-Nol??), but then I was also taken with Bradford City Rd, which given my predilection for Leeds Central ticked a number of boxes. However later in the show Mr Hudson managed to relieve me of a few notes for a copy of Pirt's Railways of Portugal - very tasty.

So clearly a model of Leeds Central, featuring some nice vintage electrics and a metre gauge feeder from the famous Brown Port region of the Airo valley would fit the bill!!!!!!

Enjoyed the show.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Wakefield show today and had an enjoyable couple of hours.

The layouts were generally very good, not quite up to last year's standards but still worth going to.

If I had one complaint it would be that there weren't any N Gauge or 2mmFS layouts.

I hope the WMRS haven't got anything against those that model in 1:148/150/152/160 or are N Gauge layouts really that hard to find? (if so try contacting some of the local NGS Area Groups; The ones covering Yorkshire, North Lincs and Cheshire should be able to help).

At least the traders didn't ignore N, I managed to buy some harder to find wagons and coaches so I came away happy.

Fingers crossed for some N next year.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Paid a visit Friday night and was mightily impressed. A first class selection of layouts with not one duffer among the line-up. Trade was good although I still miss some of the smaller traders who used to provide more interest at Wakefield, sadly most of them are no longer in business but at least the show still attracts those who are and it was good to see a few new faces among them this year.

Last year's catering fiasco was rectified and the pie and pea supper was almost worth the visit on it's own!

Good to see that even in Modeller mistakes pass the proof reader.

:O

Do you mean that the staff at Beer are merely human?!? What is the world of model railway publishing coming too...??

Went to the show today, had a really good time, some great layouts but I didn't spend much at all! Had a play with Martin's layout, lovely little layout to operate!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments especially about the catering as we put a lot of work into that, as has the caterer. Overll the exhibition seems to have been a success fro teh club though all the figures aren't in yet. I'm glad that most people enjoyd it.

As to the laclkof N gauge, I plead guilty. I misread my own spreadsheet when i was sorting out the layouts and had a 4mm layout labelled as 2mm. Howefer the American one was a 21' long Z gauge to make up for the smaller scales. When I first took the job over I had trouble finding good N Gauge layouts but I have now got some good ones booked. The full list of layouts booked for next uyear will be on the UK Model Shope site as soon as I gettime to put it on and we hope to get the club website updated soon. There are two good Ngauge layouts booked for next year, Law Junction and Bridgford.

I hope to see you all next year. The hall, caterers and layouts are all booked and the preparation has started already.

I even managed to get a bit of work done on the demonstrators stand on an emu for Lancaster Green Ayre.

Jamie Guest

Exhibition manager

WRMS

Another thanks to Jamie and the Wakefield crew for another good show. A good selection of layouts and covered all interests apart from the lack of 2mm/n-gauge. There wasn't realy anything you could class as a centerpiece or star of the show that stood out but at the other end of the scale, there wasn't anything that didn't have some merit to it...

'Udersfelde' and '30 de Septiembe' both caught the eye as being something a bit different, and 'Beaver Creek' and 'Stoke Bishop' also deserve a mention.

Also noted a couple of pointers to good shows to come with the small section of the club's new 0n30 US narrow gauge on display and Jamie's new layout should be interesting when complete!

Paul

[P.S. the catering was much improved from last year so good to see comments were notes and acted on]

May I congratulate Jamie and the Wakefield club for their excellent show together with real Yorkshire hospitality- both venue and accommodation were superb with excellent show organization-I would certainly exhibit there again, if invited! Thanks chaps! B)

• RMweb Premium

There was one US outline N gauge layout...

As Jamie Guest says, the US outline one was Z gauge.

Nice to see some 3mm though.

Looking forward to Law Junction and Brigford next year.

Keep up the good work.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

We had our exhibition debrief at the club last night and I discovered that there was an N gauge layout. Millennium Models had a small british demo layout as part of their stall. I know it doesn't count properly.

The other good news is that we have decided to hold our prices at the same level next year and I look forward to seeing you on either:-

Finally on behalf of the club can I say a big thankyou to you all for atending in whatever capacity, as Exhibitor, trader or visitor. Without all three parts of the mix the exhibition would not have been a success. Hopefully you will approve of the lineup for next years show which will appear on UK Model Shops shortly but here are the opening times and prices that we have set.

Friday 26th November 5.30 to 9.00pm

Saturday 27th November 10.00am to 6.00pm

Sunday 28th November 10.00am to 5.00pm.

Adults ??5

OAP's ??4

Children 6 and over ??2

Family (2+ 3) ??10

Jamie

Archived