Two 23mm 100 ohm Speakers in a Bachy Class 37?

Matador

You'll be okay as long as you keep the volume below about 45. (CV 63 and 45 should be plenty).

I know others on here favour the arrangement but I've personally never seen the benefit. You get more volume from the increased enclosure volume but, I've never been able to hear any improvement in sound quality. If I was going to the trouble, I would fit a bass reflex or make your own enclosure as detailed by Pete Harvey on another thread........which I will try and find for you!.

You'll be okay as long as you keep the volume below about 45. (CV 63 and 45 should be plenty).

I know others on here favour the arrangement but I've personally never seen the benefit. You get more volume from the increased enclosure volume but, I've never been able to hear any improvement in sound quality. If I was going to the trouble, I would fit a bass reflex or make your own enclosure as detailed by Pete Harvey on another thread........which I will try and find for you!.

Just buy yourself a Bass reflex speaker from DCC supplies - http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=673

fit it in the tanks and listen to the 37 growl.

Totally agree with the above regarding x2 23mm in the tanks, just makes increases in the volume, once had all my 37's this way, until a tried the reflex on the tanks and leave either the original 23mm speaker on the chassis or a 40 x 20 retangle speaker on the chassis.

Let your ears be the test!

Okay i ordered 1 x 23mm 100ohm Speaker and i will build my own reflex box for that and I have also ordered 1 x 40 x 20 rectangle speaker with its own box and I,ll compare the two.

I,m a Brit in the USA my only other thing I have to sort out is I have a 6' long test track but the revs barely go above idle I have to really get the loco going before there is any significant change in sound, i,ve listend to quite a few videos and you can here them notching up even when just shunting.. any idea on changing CV,s its a HOWES LOKSOUND 37 installed.

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

You can change a couple of CV's and have notching on your 37, but before you go down that route, try this....

CV5 to 20 and CV6 to 10,and have a play , sorry test and either increase or decrease CV5 further, - what ever you change CV5 to - change CV6 to half of CV5's value

I've found that whylst Bass reflex speekers sound great in a quiet home enviroment. They just can't cut though the noise of an exhibition hall or club room. This is where the twin 23mm speakers work better.

It's eaiser to get the 23ml speakers into the tanks then a bass reflex as you need to do a bit of cutting to the tank moldings. Overall it's all down to what sounds right to you.

Which bass reflex speaker are people referring to? I've had a look at the dcc supplies website and none of them seem entirely suitable because of the narrow/shallow bit in the middle of the tanks.

Richard

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=673

You need to cut away the middle section of the Tanks so you only have the two outside walls of the tanks left in place.

I glue my reflex in place uncovered, just make sure your track is clean, no track pins laid about, otherwise you will have to lift the loco and remove the pins.

Let your ears decide.

[ don't forget you need to tweak your CV's to get the best of the loco on your own layout, everybodies layout is different.]

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried the double 100ohms and the bass reflex the reflex wins hands down

thanks for all the help

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

Have you checked that you have the two 23mm speakers in phase? If not they cancel each other out resulting in very poor sound output.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs............ phasing is where both speaker cones move in the same direction when operated. The easiest way to do this is using a PP3 9v battery touch the speaker terminals on the battery terminals and note which way the cone moves and which terminal (+ or -) touches which speaker terminal. Repeat with the next speaker and then connect the 'same' terminals together.

I've tried the Base Reflex and gone back to the two 23mm method!! By far the best way in my opinion!

Regards

Rob

Just for something different: because I was too lazy to dismantle my 37s to get at the fuel tanks, I fitted the standard Bachmann rectangular speaker back in place but sealed with plasticard and contact cement (plus a bit of Blu-Tac!), and added a 20mm round speaker in one nose end as it just fits. While it is not as effective as either two 23mm speakers or a bass-reflex one, it is still considerably better than the original (poor!) Bachmann installation. It is also a much easier tweak to carry out if you are at all shy about delving into a locomotives innards! :lol:

Doing a ViTrains 37 next going to go the two speaker route and have a good comparison

DC Snr

A Brit in the USA

Have you checked that you have the two 23mm speakers in phase? If not they cancel each other out resulting in very poor sound output.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs............ phasing is where both speaker cones move in the same direction when operated. The easiest way to do this is using a PP3 9v battery touch the speaker terminals on the battery terminals and note which way the cone moves and which terminal (+ or -) touches which speaker terminal. Repeat with the next speaker and then connect the 'same' terminals together.

I've tried the Base Reflex and gone back to the two 23mm method!! By far the best way in my opinion!

Regards

Rob

• 9 years later...

Hi, i have a Bachmann 37-693, looking to improve the DCC sound which has a loksound v3.5 with 100 ohm speaker, i really do not fancy completely gutting it down to the chassis, is it possible to cut into the fuel tanks from the bottom and remove the weight from the bottom? On the breakdown drawing on the Bachmann data sheet, it looks as if the weight is screwed from the top into the fuel tanks, so would cutting the bottom out allow the weight to come out?

Any advise greatly appreciated

32-355.pdf

Hi Richard,  thanks for your response,  I have purchased a 100 ohm base reflex speaker complete in a enclosure as the standard Bachmann one does not have one, I did cut away alot of the fan housing and tried to seal the existing speaker to the underside of the 37 with blue tack trying to direct all the sound via the fan aperture, I await the delivery of the new bass reflex speaker, so is a 'reblow' a new sound file to overwrite the older file?

Regards Neil 

21 minutes ago, Neil0202 said:

Hi Richard,  thanks for your response,  I have purchased a 100 ohm base reflex speaker complete in a enclosure as the standard Bachmann one does not have one, I did cut away alot of the fan housing and tried to seal the existing speaker to the underside of the 37 with blue tack trying to direct all the sound via the fan aperture, I await the delivery of the new bass reflex speaker, so is a 'reblow' a new sound file to overwrite the older file?

Regards Neil 

You did well to find an alternative 100ohm speaker. Lack of alternative speakers is a big drawback of using an old v3.5 decoder.

Yes a reblow is uploading a sound project onto an existing decoder. These usually include the decoder's serial number so you can't copy it across your entire fleet.