Farish class 24s

grahame

Having finally acquired one of these beasts, it is fair to say that it is even more impressive up close and personal.

A quick change to 2mm FS wheelsets and awa we go - anyone done that yet mind?

Then its a few roof mods etc.

Are any parts around yet to "gild" this wee beauty?

I 'd might as well go the whole hog [ or is that rat?]

The problem with roof bits in particular is that 24 roofs are remarkably variable beasts. I've etched roof grilles and 24/1 conversion bits etc but some of the other roof stuff is very much plasticard/filler and photo stuff on a per loco (and period!) basis.

Bernard Taylor (TPM) also does token catcher etches if you are doing one of the token fitted Scottish ones.

Beware renumbering too - as well as the low ones being different on grilles (including the one Farish did plain green - oops) once you get into blue and the removed nose doors you need to avoid many of the locos as some of the conversions helpfully 'tidied' the nose by moving the lights and disc headcodes to the centre of the former door. They really are "photos required" locos.

There were quite a few Farish 24's at the 2mm SA anniversary with converted wheels.

Alan

I have a lot of photo's to view and muse on Alan afore I chose a victim.

Lets just say so long as its based in Scotland circa' 1974 its a possible.

What the probable is will have a long gestation period the way I work so hey :lol:

Thanks for the tip...

Guest Moria

A quick change to 2mm FS wheelsets and awa we go - anyone done that yet mind?

Yep got the new 2mm wheelsets.. 5 minute job and then a bit of running in to bed in the new gears.

No issues and very easy to do.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

I replaced mine too with the drop in wheels...and it ran like a dog....but I think they need a good scrub first as I recall reading somewhere in the 2mm Mag.

Mind you...replacing wheels at 02:00am in the morning before an exhibition is not something I will be repeating!

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Do you think it would be possible to add DCC sound to this loco using a loksound micro?

Cheers

Martin

Oh yes!!

Have a look at this, and yes it is real no fake.

I know that because it's sat on my layout running round quite happily.

The sound is very good no crackling or distortion.

A very nice job someone has done for me, not cheap but well worth it!

The extra cab lights have been fitted, whats more the body still just pulls off.

The PCB has been taken out, all direction lights are direct to the decoder.....I think not had a really good look.

A lot of work has been doen on the chassis and on the speaker which was heavily modified to fit.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold
Now that is nice - there is also a class 24 with sound on Carl's 2mm post in the layout section here. Even if I only had one sound equipped loco it would be my class 24 as it will probably be the loco which gets the most use. Who did it and what was the cost? Tim

Hi Tim, How much would you be prepared to pay? Including the cost of Loksound chip and loco and the amount of time to strip everything down and work out how to fit it all back in!

It's a lot of time and work involved so it's never going to be cheap..then again why should it be?

Cheers Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing that you'd need around £240 to be waved your nose before you parted with it?

As a Loksound decoder and the Class 24 loco are not too far short of £200 (when they were all purchased....sometime ago now)

£240 doesn't even come close.

I would guess that to get one now you would need to look at not too far short of double that figure.

I don't know as I commissioned this a very long time ago now.

Cheers

Ian

Hi

As a Loksound decoder and the Class 24 loco are not too far short of £200 (when they were all purchased....sometime ago now)

£240 doesn't even come close.

I would guess that to get one now you would need to look at not too far short of double that figure.

I don't know as I commissioned this a very long time ago now.

I think that's a fair price. Consider this and to the best of my knowledge their is not 1 of the sound dealers or hobby shops that will attempt n gauge sound. Have a look at their web sites they all say No. If it was easy everyone would be doing it, simple as that. I also suspect because it is hard to do that is why some have asked "how did you fake it"

I think people have some unrealistic exceptions on the amount of work done. If you go into a garage, have your car modified and pay 10 hours labor why not the same for model trains?

But it can be done cheaper by you. If for some reason you blow the sound decoder it has only cost you 115 GBP and if your really unlucky and you go through the loco with your dremil its the cost of a loco. These are some of the risks builders face so why shouldn't they get paid a fair price for something nobody wants to do.

Martin

• 11 months later...

Yep got the new 2mm wheelsets.. 5 minute job and then a bit of running in to bed in the new gears.

No issues and very easy to do.

Regards

Graham

Hello,

It took me nearly an hour. It is my first 2mm FS conversion and I was quite scared not to break something. Only at the end I realised there was no need to remove the shell in order to replace the wheel sets... At least I know now what's inside the body and how easy is to convert it to DCC.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Archived