Farish class 24s

grahame

The press release from February 2009 - http://www.grahamfarish.co.uk/pr1.php?id=218 says that tooling is complete and the model "will be released over the next few months" Once tooling is complete it should just be a matter of casting / moulding the components, painting, final assembly and packaging? The more recently announced 4MTs (the ones with the pistons etc exposed rather than enclosed in an internal combustion engine) may jump the production process queue and be available to purchase sooner. I don't mind as I'm after examples of both models, hopefully I'll get one of them in time to be able to unwrap it on present morning.

George

• RMweb Premium

assume the 24's didn't make a retail appearance at Warley then?

Santa will have a lot to answer to, if his sack is not full of them this year... :(

They should be with retailers this week or next, as they spent the weekend in a container at east mids airport!! so should make it for santa!

cheers, Richard

They should be with retailers this week or next, as they spent the weekend in a container at east mids airport!! so should make it for santa!

Well, I guess they'll be with retailers once they've cleared customs, arrived at Barwell, been unpacked, checked, and added to their stock inventory, and then re-distributed by road to the shops . . . . . . same goes for the new class 47s apparently.

Shame they didn't quite make it for Warley.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Thats encouraging - I have had one on pre-order from them for almost a year now. I hope that the pre-order system has settled down now as I remember a few grumbles about it on the previous forum :icon_eek:

• RMweb Gold

Seems like that are still in transit to Hattons and I will need to collect it at Crimble when I next visit the UK.

If someone recieves one soon, would you mind posting a few pics and a mini critique? Does look to be a very nice addition to the range.

Thanks

It appears that Barwell are rushing them out as soon as possible - the target time may have been Warley - but the weekend has got in the way of delivery to Hattons and some other retailers. I'm waiting for the plain green one from Hattons, and the two tone green one from Keytes via Ebay - the latter being an impulse buy. With luck I should have at least one by Tuesday.

Question. Are they just being shipped in really small numbers?

It's quite possible that all that has arrived so far is a small batch specially air-freighted here. After all the rumour was that they were at East Mids Airport whereas my understanding is that usually they come by container on a boat to Felixstowe port. In the past they have air-frieghted a batch to be available for sale at Warley and it might be that these were intended for Warley (they did arrive just before) but were held up at customs. Shame Bachmann aren't communicating details of the current situation.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Seems like that are still in transit to Hattons and I will need to collect it at Crimble when I next visit the UK.

If someone recieves one soon, would you mind posting a few pics and a mini critique? Does look to be a very nice addition to the range.

Thanks

Sorry no pics but just the few pointers from my first look at mine:

Positives:

Headcode discs seem very good seeing as they are N gauge, with just the minimal

of flash on some.

Included with the running in, dcc instructions etc are a list of the different

headcode combinations and what they mean, a very good touch i think and very

useful.

Fine wire handrails.

As usual very fine, crisps paint job and linning, lettering etc.

I picked up 3 this afternoon and all ran very well straight from the box, only observation on running is that the lights don't illuminate when 'crawling', i guess they aren't picking up enough power at the low speed to power the lights?

Hope this helps, Cheers, Richard

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

Looks like Ruston's got one, if the recent pics in his gallery are anything to go by. It looks very convincing on Rotherbrook, almost as good as the layout it's running on (the second image is an absolute gem).

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan Bookshop at Waterloo had all 3 varieties when I popped in there at lunchtime. I'd just bought a mag when one of the staff started sorting them out on the counter to put in the display cabinet. Needless to say one of the plain green ones was put back in its box and promptly purchased! Haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet or run it, hopefully tomorrow.

Looks like today was a significant delivery day. Just picked my 2 up from Marlow Donkey in Cookham (1 each of the green liveries).

Both are super smooth runners (without any running in yet). Detail on the model looks very good, most of the body & roof grilles are coloured black although perhaps surprisingly the main roof exhaust grille is not.

There's a bag of small parts which contain various pipes and hoses and the headcode discs.

The instructions show positioning of the buffer beam parts but don't explain how to attach the headcode discs. There is, however, a diagram explaining the headcode arrangements. I guess I'll figure out the fitting of the discs later.

Best Regards

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel

The headcode discs are a snug push fit. Quite fiddly - I had to use tweezers to line them up and then pushed them in firmly with a pencil - using the eraser on the blunt end to avoid any chance of scratching the paint off.

All the lights work so it's a good idea to make sure the holes line up on any "full" discs showing their aspect!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with the earlier post about the out of the box running. No stutter or anything, just a smooth lap of the track. I also sent it down the branch with its dirty track and again coped fine.

I'll have a crack at fitting the parts tonight as I also have to try that for a 37 as well.

I was also able to shock my wife when I said, I don't need any more loco's. She doesn't believe me, but I am actually at that point. (until someone makes a class 22 that is)

Hi Nigel

The headcode discs are a snug push fit. Quite fiddly - I had to use tweezers to line them up and then pushed them in firmly with a pencil - using the eraser on the blunt end to avoid any chance of scratching the paint off.

All the lights work so it's a good idea to make sure the holes line up on any "full" discs showing their aspect!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben,

Yes, quite fiddly and as you say quite a tight fit. I found that they sat a little proud for my liking (and one popped off anyway) so I flattened the backs with a small flat file and where necessary I reduced the thickness of the stalks. I then applied a tiny amount of polysterene cement glue for permanent fixing in place (passenger headcodes at one end, freight at the other).

With those characteristic headcodes in place they really do look the part - lovely models.

class24-1.jpg

class24-2.jpg

Got my 24035 today. It's a lovely little model although as might be expected with a class as complex as the 24 it seems to have a couple of errors on the roof. The roof is in the biggest let down for other reasons - the 24 has a very open roof grille. This is modelled correctly in plastic with a vague attempt at a fan below but the openness of the grille doesn't really work as a surface moulding. Maybe a bit of weathring powder will help if not Mr Drill will have to come out and play.

Period-wise it appears to be good into 1974 - the loco having various highly visible mods after that (removal of nose door, removal of boiler tank) - which would make a small interesting modelling project.

The loco looks a good choice for hacking as well. Because its a mid period roof the earlier 24 roof is a matter of filing off a few small bits and adding a small circular grille, while the 24/1 is mostly just adding the section around the water fillers and headcode boxes. Need to double check the photos but I think 24035 should probably have that section too.

The seam line on the nose is a bit visible - a pity Bachmann didn't paint yellow around the lip of the two joining pieces on the end as that would hide it well.

Two great improvements over the recent other Bachmann stuff. You can take it apart without a fight. It doesn't fall apart but it comes apart easily to fit the decoder unlike the 108/150. Secondly the bogie height which is very very nicely done and close to the body.

Archived