Farish class 24s

grahame

Just a few photos and early comments:

As mentioned the body is easily removed - and goes back on easily

Plenty of room for a decoder

Exposed gears on the bogie - but no possibility if it grounding over points, wet leaves etc

It does not sit on stilts, unlike the early class 47s

Unfortunately I can't test run mine - the lid covering the layout is covered in Christmas decorations and presents etc, plus it has to be wrapped and put away so I can open it again in 23 days time :D

Still awaiting the plain green version from L15.

George

Posted for Dennis Lovett - he tried to post it previously but didn't succeed

Sailor Charon, on 29 November 2009 - 14:15 , said:

Question. Are they just being shipped in really small numbers?

It's quite possible that all that has arrived so far is a small batch specially air-freighted here. After all the rumour was that they were at East Mids Airport whereas my understanding is that usually they come by container on a boat to Felixstowe port. In the past they have air-frieghted a batch to be available for sale at Warley and it might be that these were intended for Warley (they did arrive just before) but were held up at customs. Shame Bachmann aren't communicating details of the current situation.

GResponse from Bachmann

A quantity was indeed air-freighted in advance of the main consignment in order to be distributed in time for the Warley exhibition. Unfortunately they were not released (presumably by customs) until Tuesday of last week having spent Warley weekend in a well known airport in the East Midlands. The advance quantity (all three versions) have already been distributed as outlined on here by some dealers. The rest left by sea a week ago and will be here in due course.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Well, mine arrived today, and I'm impressed. Easily chipped. Quiet running. The body comes off (and goes back on) very easily.

Just one question. Given all the negativity about scale lamps for steam locos, how often will people be changing the headcode discs, according to what it's pulling?

But yes, very nice. And it seems that the main batch is now in, as Hattons (for example) 'have more than 10' of all three

Had another peer at the roof while taking a break. The roof appears to be correct for locos around 24061 which means it can be renumbered into accuracy. 061 of course is also better known in its departmental days as 97201 'Experiment'. I wonder if we'll be seeing a "special" from Bachmann soon therefore.

Who picked the loco numbers at Bachmann - thats another one with the wrong roof for the loco number. D5013 has the big panel version of the area above the water filler caps ? I'm pretty sure it had the round style exhaust as well.

It's a near perfect model, just not for the numbers its been issued with. Baffling

Who picked the loco numbers at Bachmann - thats another one with the wrong roof for the loco number. D5013 has the big panel version of the area above the water filler caps ? I'm pretty sure it had the round style exhaust as well.

It's a near perfect model, just not for the numbers its been issued with. Baffling

Yes a strange one due to D5013 was the one Bachmann were going to do in OO gauge until they were made aware of a problem and decided to go for D5030 instead.

The problem was D5013 was one amongst the pilot batch that had an extra bodyside grill on either sidemellow.gif , still an easy case to renumber.

• RMweb Gold

061 of course is also better known in its departmental days as 97201 'Experiment'. I wonder if we'll be seeing a "special" from Bachmann soon therefore.

oh I hope so. The current liveries are just too old for my period, but i'd love to have 97201. Not sure anyone will take the risk of an N gauge ltd edition loco again though.

The Graham Farish range is looked after by a Mr Colin Allbright, nice enouigh bloke. chatted with him at the N gauge AGM a few times. i guess it is he who chooses the numbers.

Thanks to those who took the time to post photos. :icon_thumbsup2:

I know there is a lot of praise in regards to these models, but I can't help but wonder if some of that is because the older GF diesels are so atrociously bad in so many respects that it doesn't take much to raise the bar. :huh:

The 4mm scale Bachy Class 24 doesn't have near enough of "arch" in the rain strip over the cab front- that cantrail ridge that delineates the roof from the front of the locomotive. The 2mm scale version looks even flatter in this regard than the 4mm version! Everyone makes mistakes, however you are supposed to learn from those mistakes. :mad:

Check out the arch between the gray and green along the roof line of the photo linked below and then take a hard look at the green fronted face in the photos in this topic.

D5000 at Derby Sulzer

The older GF Class 25 roof front is closer to the correct profile. :icon_lol:

Sorry but this is just another amateur job from the boys at Barwell. I suppose we should be thankful that they get some things right...

Thanks to those who took the time to post photos. :icon_thumbsup2:

I know there is a lot of praise in regards to these models, but I can't help but wonder if some of that is because the older GF diesels are so atrociously bad in so many respects that it doesn't take much to raise the bar. :huh:

The 4mm scale Bachy Class 24 doesn't have near enough of "arch" in the rain strip over the cab front- that cantrail ridge that delineates the roof from the front of the locomotive. The 2mm scale version looks even flatter in this regard than the 4mm version! Everyone makes mistakes, however you are supposed to learn from those mistakes. :mad:

Check out the arch between the gray and green along the roof line of the photo linked below and then take a hard look at the green fronted face in the photos in this topic.

D5000 at Derby Sulzer

The older GF Class 25 roof front is closer to the correct profile. :icon_lol:

Sorry but this is just another amateur job from the boys at Barwell. I suppose we should be thankful that they get some things right...

There are also issues with the roof panels as pointed out by Trevor H, above, as well as the boiler filler recesses, the two larger bodyside grilles, the fuel tanks and the battery boxes - all of which will require a lot of effort to rectify if you want an accurate 24 :(

Kevin

Totally agree Pete, i just didn't want to upset anyoneblink.gif

I have a GF class 24 on my bench and all the proportions and errors have been carried directly over from the 4mm model, just like the GF Peak which also seems to of been cloned from the 4mm model, this was an excellent opourtunity to correct/improve the errors.

It not as if nobody knew about the errors which have been debated after the 4mm releases, another error is the communiction doors been to low.

Strange how some models are absolutely superb whilst others are middle of the road, the class 24 could of been an A+ model if they had just taken it that bit further, although i'm sure their sell well. Worrying though if they are to do the class 25, will it be a clone of their 4mm modelunsure.gif

Still they do enough good stuff for me to model something in 2mm without needing onerolleyes.gif

Sorry for the gripe, but could do better, you just have to look at the "City of Truro" model.cool.gif

Mine arrived in the post yesterday, not had a chance to run it yet but it looks like a 24 to me and I ain't going to worry if it's a couple of millimetres out on the boiler filler recesses, the two larger bodyside grilles, the fuel tanks and the battery boxes.

At ??64 it's a cracking model that I trust will run like my other Bachmann-Farish diesels.

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree Pete, i just didn't want to upset anyoneblink.gif

I have a GF class 24 on my bench and all the proportions and errors have been carried directly over from the 4mm model, just like the GF Peak which also seems to of been cloned from the 4mm model, this was an excellent opourtunity to correct/improve the errors.

It not as if nobody knew about the errors which have been debated after the 4mm releases, another error is the communiction doors been to low.

Strange how some models are absolutely superb whilst others are middle of the road, the class 24 could of been an A+ model if they had just taken it that bit further, although i'm sure their sell well. Worrying though if they are to do the class 25, will it be a clone of their 4mm modelunsure.gif

Still they do enough good stuff for me to model something in 2mm without needing onerolleyes.gif

Sorry for the gripe, but could do better, you just have to look at the "City of Truro" model.cool.gif

I appreciate that everyone has different standards, but in my case, i have the Bachmann 24 and 25 in my 00 collection, and am happily enough with these to run them from the box, and therefore i have purchased 3 of the new farish 24's, and will be deilghted if they follow it with a 25, of which i would again purchase a couple at least im sure.

At the end of the day, im no expert on any particular loco, but i can tell the difference between a 24 and a 25, a royal scot and a patriot, a standard 4 and a standard 5 etc etc, but without any doubt when i see the farish 24, i know that it is a model of a class 24, regardless of the lack of component 'x' or the incorrect shape of part 'y'. And at the end of the day, this is what will keep me buying the new models farish are releasing, because they look like the class they are representing, they are very well detailed but still robust, and, on most occasions they run like a dream straight from the box.

Cheers, Richard

• RMweb Gold
Strange how some models are absolutely superb whilst others are middle of the road, the class 24 could of been an A+ model if they had just taken it that bit further, although i'm sure their sell well. Worrying though if they are to do the class 25, will it be a clone of their 4mm model

Funnily enough I was waiting for this particular model to be released in 2mm - before making a policy decision to change down to 2mm or not, and the bachrats also reared their ugly heads in the '4mm diesels what next' or similar thread.

My personal belief is that though the locos dont bear up to close scrutiny, the 3 ft rule is at least Ok-ish for the OO 24 and 25/3 - this becomes slightly less of an issue in N gauge - which is surely the choice for 'train in the landscape models'

The comparison photos between new 24 and old farish 25- maybe the old 25 ismore dimensionally correct, but the moulding is far more chunky, you could get a 2mm window box on those windscreen ledges.

Though the stuff may not tick all the 4mm finescale type boxes I think its a big improvement over the old school N gauge?

Quote of the week and yet still probably a brilliantly massive understatement;

Though the stuff may not tick all the 4mm finescale type boxes I think its a big improvement over the old school N gauge?

Excellent.

G.

I think there is a case here for taking as much or as little improvement as you want.

Yes its imperfect but if you wish to improve it then you can.

It would have been nice to have had a more correct 24 to start with but since that is not the case then hey, whatever.

You takes your choice and choose your preference.

All I know is that the insides will be decent and will work - 2mmFS newbies will love that.. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Quote of the week and yet still probably a brilliantly massive understatement;

Excellent.

G.

Grahame the point I was trying to make is that as it is obviously a scaled down carbon copy of the OO loco all the things that were wrong on that are bound to be wrong on the N one. BUT that they should be less obvious due to the smaller scale.

I think we all should have known that given the OO hasnt been retooled, that the N gauge would simply be a scaled down version rather than a completely new model?

The bit that should be hoped for next is widescale adoption of the Microtrains style coupling, - yes its the same as putting K-dees on early period stock, but would still be much better for function and appearance than the 'fishing hook'? 3 links in N just dont float my boat! :D :D :D

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

I have to say I think some improvements have been made compared to the OO model.

Certainly the gangway doors fill the space below the centre windscreen more on the N Gauge model than the OO one. Also, to my eye, the centre windscreen does seem very slightly deeper and consequently the cab roof line slightly more curved. However these are fractions of a millimetre and I accept that my impressions may be flawed as I am judging photographs of the 4mm model, as I have never looked at it closely "in the flesh."

I do think there are errors around the roof, and it may be worth correcting these either by making the roof match the number, or making the number match the roof!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi folks

I do think there are errors around the roof, and it may be worth correcting these either by making the roof match the number, or making the number match the roof!

cheers

Ben A.

And on that note, can anyone supply the correct numbers for the roof as provided, specifically for a two tone green one?

Regards

Graham

And on that note, can anyone supply the correct numbers for the roof as provided, specifically for a two tone green one?

Previous discussions on RMweb have confirmed the following as going two tone:

5005/36/37/38/40/48/53/54/72

5005 won't work for your model because the prototype had the extra body side grill, so that leaves you a choice of 8 numbers. The Farish 24 has the later roof exhaust (rectangular versus the earlier round) which would probably be appropriate for all the two tone units. D5053 had the rectangular exhaust in 1966, they probably all received the mod during their repaints. The design with the round hatch was a fire hazard, so they were fixed sooner rather than later.

The changes to the roof shown earlier in this topic aren't specific to a particular Class 24, it's fixing a basic error with the engine hatch on the model...

Previous discussions on RMweb have confirmed the following as going two tone:

5005/36/37/38/40/48/53/54/72

5005 won't work for your model because the prototype had the extra body side grill, so that leaves you a choice of 8 numbers. The Farish 24 has the later roof exhaust (rectangular versus the earlier round) which would probably be appropriate for all the two tone units. D5053 had the rectangular exhaust in 1966, they probably all received the mod during their repaints. The design with the round hatch was a fire hazard, so they were fixed sooner rather than later.

The changes to the roof shown earlier in this topic aren't specific to a particular Class 24, it's fixing a basic error with the engine hatch on the model...

Many thanks Pete.. renumbering will happen.. roof hatches and trim.. depends how I feel it looks when I get it and see it in reality. Apparently it's on it's way over the ocean as we speak.

Regards

Graham

Archived