Radclyffe Street Stabling Point

Trainsrgr8

Hi guys,

It's been a while since any major work on railway modeling for me. With moving to Uni in September I bit the bullet and decided to stop work on my bigger layout as it will have to be dismantled soon. However, I didn't want to give up modeling so I have devised a new plan....

Radclyffe Street

Radclyffe Street is a small Stabling Point based as an off-branch to a major marshalling yard. The idea being that the yard is used for refueling and stabiling loco's that have just come off trains in Radclyffe Yard. There is also a low releif shed which will be used as a Wheel Lathe (allowing me to shunt odd wagons in the yard with the use of a shunter)

Baseboard wise, the layout is made in boxfiles, something I was keen to expand on after my first attempt using boxfiles a few years ago...

Radclyffestreetplan.jpg

ca9285c3.jpg

Work so far...

I have been steadily working on the layout since early January. Work so far has included fixing the 3 scenic boxfiles together with a wooden frame, laying track (Peco Code 100) aswell as an inspection pit....

The layout is now all wired up to work with my Dynamis system so i can now play trains :)

A few pictures from the initial stages of construction:

3f2807fa.jpg

0292f733.jpg

ab46929f.jpg

a973f477.jpg

1cab472d.jpg

99945de9.jpg

72542c4d.jpg

And now the layout as it currently stands....

13e7e687.jpg

81c7e84b.jpg

f5dedd16.jpg

Next jobs include sourcins some polystyrene to build up the embankments that will form the scenic break aswell as building the hardstanding for the fueling point.

I would like to complete the layout to an exibition standard hopefully, so it's going to be a steep learning curve for me! :)

Please feel free to comment/ask questions....

Danny

Guest jim s-w

Hi Danny

What's the kick back for? Looking at your overall plan wouldn't they just have longer sidings instead of the extra initial cost and maintenance cost of an extra point. You gain stabling for a loco in the kick back but you loose the same from the main siding. Makes no sense to me, you just have something over complex for no reason and in my mind that detracts from the realism of the track plan

Hth

Jim

Dave, the boxes stay together as one unit with the fiddle yard being detachable.

Jim, the kick back was added as towards the end of the siding will be the entrance to a maintenance shed (I have the idea of a Wheel Lathe facility). This will be low relief however, it presents the oppurtunity for the kick back to store locos out of the way of the shed. Thats how I see things anyway!

Cheers for your inputs guys :)

Danny

Archived