Porth Penrhyn

trains12

Hi Peter

Your layout is on the list for coming to Expong, I am not sure when that will be, as that will be down to you, the only request from Greenwich is the layout is to have enough prototype rolling stock to go with the layout, so a lot of slate wagons to build and a number of locos as well.

I am going to do some research in to what locos are avalable in Kits.

Can you send me your contact details via a PM and I will send them on to the Show Manager who can keep you informed. Over night hotel accommodation will not be a problem

Oh and don’t be surprised if you also find yourself the centre of a magazine article request as well.

A layout like you have deserves to have the publicity to show it off to the full.

Regards

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I have been doing some research into the Penrhyn locos and I have got this list so far

Penrhyn locos in 4mm models

Charles

Blanche                       Backwoods Miniatures

Linda

Gwynedd

Lillian                           Scratch Built

Winifred

Margaret

Alan George                Scratch Built

Nesta

Elin

Hugh Napier

Pamela

Sybil Mary                    Scratch Built

George Sholto

Gertrude

Edward Sholto

Sgt Murphy                  Scratch Built

Lladegai

Felin Hen                     Five79 kits

Tregarth

Jubilee 1897                Scratch Built

Lilla                              Scratch Built

Sanford

Skinner                        Five79 kit modified

Eigiau                          Scratch Built or GEM kit much modified

Cegin                          GEM kit much modified

Glyder

Bronllwyd                    Scratch Built

Ogwen                        Five79 Kit

Marchlyn

Stanhope                    Five79 Kit (Corris No4)

Richard Bell                Five79 Kit modified

JC Gray  

Not forgetting the 5 de Wintons, I understand that a new kit is being produced    

Regards

Colin                                     

Edited by Baldwin30762

you dont actually need all the penryhn locos as most of them stayed up in the quarries but Charles, Linda & blanche were "mainline locos", that worked the line from the quarrie to the port, although i do not know the specifics of the loco rosters, and there would have been some locos that stayed at the port for shunting.

Edited by sir douglas

Hi Sir Douglas I too was under the impression that i wouldn't need to model everything, but according to the two books I have just got by Bernard Rockett most of the above did work at the Port at some time Post 1940 -1955.

The biggest problem as you can see, is that there is not at present a suitable Hunslet Quarry tank kit to modify in to what I need, I am told that the Chivers fineline one may be a bit too small, but I will get one at Expo-ng in a couple of weeks time to try it out anyhow.  

Some of the more well known locos will have to be scratch built, which is something I have not done a great deal of in 009. 

I do think, that just for now, I will only build those I can make from those kits which are available, the big problem is to wait for the chassis to be made, I will be having this conversation with one small manufactures in the coming weeks at Expo-ng in Swanley.

Hi Chris - are you on NGRM? Worth starting a thread on there - it's a very healthy and well populated forum specifically aimed at Narrow Gauge modelling.

Narrow Planet will have a kit for the O&K to fit a Minitrains chassis out at ExpoNG, I'll be there with two assembled examples...

post-6671-0-55296200-1413194764.jpg

We'll be taking orders for our first 'custom' model on this chassis at the event - which is to be Eigiau, the 'prototype' has already been built and tested by a good friend of mine...

I have send you a message on Shapeways about this :)

post-6671-0-58287000-1413194642_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

If there is anybody out there that would be interested in buying this layout I would love to hear from you. It would be such a pity if I had to destroy it after all the work that Peter put into the building of it.

Any reasonable offer would be considered as would rather it goes to a good home where it can be appeciated.

Please pm me if you are interested

Wendy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to all those of you that have sent me a PM regarding the layout, I will get back to each of you this weekend personally. At present really busy with Christmas rush at work but meanwhile thanks for all interest shown, Peter would have been chuffed!.

Wendy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi All

I promised to get back to all those interested in the layout this weekend, however with the sudden cancellation of Christmas and the ensuing panic buying and the extra work for key workers like myself please bear with me and I will get back to you. As things stand the layout cannot be picked up by anybody at this stage anyway.

Meanwhile everybody please try and have as good a Christmas as allowed and will contact you soon. Thanks for your patience.

Wendy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

To all who have expressed an interest in this layout.

Firstly I must apologise  for not coming back to you all but with Christmas and new year rush at work and to top it all lost all phone line/broadband after Storm Bella on Boxing Day and only re-connected 2 days ago - hows that for service!

I know that everybody is now in one form of lockdown or another depending on location so there is no way for anybody to pick up this layout at present. I have not set a price on it, mainly because I just want it to go where it will be appreciated. With that in mind any of you that are still interested if you pm me with an offer will take it from there.

What I will say here and now is that the layout is at present in storage in my barn, as far as I am aware it is still in very good condition but I will not rule out that some remedial work may be needed to get it back to its prime state. If a purchase is agreed with one of you then I will NOT expect any form of payment until you have seen the layout, confirmed you are happy with it and hopefully picked it up.

I hope this is fair to you all

Regards and a happy and hopefully better new year to you all

Wendy

• Friendly/supportive 3