Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

That's brilliant! Really clear picture and gives a very realistic driver's-eye view. Shows off the attention to detail on the layout to good effect IMO...

One to consider if the price is right...!

As an aside, you can feel the g-force going round those curves into the fiddle yard; the loco crews must have F1 training... ;)

Great stuff

David

Hi David

Yes, my thoughts too when I watched the turn into the fiddle yard!  Makes you realise how tight our trainset curves actually are!

The website for the manufacturer is http://www.branor.co.uk/

This is a shot of the unit in action.  It is fitted within a Farish VDA van. The van body is full of electronics, and the camera protrudes at one end. It's controlled by a small button and the red light shows the operator when it's recording.

post-420-0-37475300-1369042223_thumb.jpg

As an aside, we have also responded to valid criticism that our narrowboats had no tillermen and group member Nigel Horner has added them - and in once case included a sunbathing woman apparently converted from a US engineer figure!!

post-420-0-82533700-1369042398_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Ben; had a look at the site, very informative - they give a link to a Youtube clip which is similar in quality to yours (although not the modelling IMO ;) ) and they list another camtruck for OO which is around £98 - you can pre-order the N version as they're not yet available - one for the birthday/Christmas list then...

I like the boat occupants...ahem ;)

David

I do like your box to transport them in. Unfortunately mine have to go in loose into the car due to the space constraints with the layout and 4 of us in the car

Ian

That must be worth a photo in itself :stinker:  - what sort of car do you get the layout and 4 people in??

Kevin

(With apologies for hijacking Ben's thread!)

Lovely layout, so many details.

Thanks for the comment Mr Smudge, we do try our best. If you can get to see us

we will be in Newark on Trent, Ramsey Camb's and Southend later in the year so

why not come and say hello,you would also get to see our sun bathing Beauty on

top of the narrow boat in the flesh so to speak.

Cheers

John   CE to HF

• 2 months later...

Hi

Horseley Fields will be at the Ramsey show in Cambridgeshire this Sunday. The exhibition is held at the Ramsey Rural Museum, so on top of the 15 layouts there is lots of "old stuff" - tractors, farm equipment etc to look at.

Hope to see some of you there.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We attended the model railway show at Ramsay rural museum today, and were very thrilled to be voted best layout in show.

Some photos:

DBS class 66 reverses into the steel yard with a mixed train of BDAs and BYAs. The wagons are all standard Farish models weathered. The loco is by Dapol and chosen primarily because it has NEM pockets which allow us easily to snap-fit Dapol easi-shunt couplers, which we use for shunting in the yard and which we have found to offer almost 100% reliability.

post-420-0-38677100-1376240544_thumb.jpg

Freightliner class 70 hurries over the canal bridge with a train of Lafarge bogie tanks. This loco still needs weathering.

post-420-0-63596100-1376240679_thumb.jpg

Hanson tipper lorries unload at the aggregate depot at the front of the layout, as SPAs wait to be unloaded at the steel terminal behind. The lorries were scratch built by group member John Ruff, while the wagons are standard Farish models, weathered.

post-420-0-02402900-1376240758_thumb.jpg

Horseley Fields is next out at Model Rail Live at the Newark show ground on Sept 21st-22nd - do come and say hello if you're visiting!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

One more from Ramsey - DBS 66 arrives in the loop with steel train. This train comprises BDAs at the front, and covered BYAs/BRAs at the rear. Unfortunately the load on the rearmost BDA has become a little dislodged!! Unlike the previous photo, this time round the wagons for the outer siding are immediately behind the locomotive, with the covered wagons for inside the depot at the rear. I do not know if there is any hard and fast rule for the marshalling of these trains on the prototype, but observations suggest it's more common to have the open wagons at the back.

post-420-0-17435100-1376307875_thumb.jpg

We operate these trains as separate halve,s - the shed can accommodate 4 covered wagons, so these are grouped together, while the siding outside can accommodate 5 BDAs or 7 SPAs. Only the end wagons of each half set have Dapol couplers.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

The Easi-shunt couplers look a whole lot better and work well.  The only factors putting us off wholesale conversion are:

1)  Cost - certainly for long rakes of wagons

2)  Fiddliness - lifting a misbehaving wagon out of a rake (which is sometimes required in exhibition conditions, as you will know) is easier with Rapidos without derailing adjacent models.

3)  Compatibility - converting some locos that we have a lot of (eg Farish 66s) is a pain. 

What are your plans with Banbury with couplers?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Where i have fixed rakes such as the coal hoppers I am using the Dapol fixed knuckle. They work better than the rapidos in the NEM box and close the gap between wagons quite a bit. Easy Shunt couplers are fitted at one  end of the rake with a rapido (for now) at the other end.

The Farish TEA tanks currently have the rapidos as fitted but intend to convert to NEM boxes on all of them and fit the fixed knuckle. 

Much the same with the fixed rakes of coaches.

All container vehicles (except some of the old Farish ones) have Easy shunt couplers as they are much more reliable than the rapidos (much less splitting of pulling wagons off on the curves).

The 'loose' wagon load vehicles will all eventually have Easy shunts. Most have now been done except one or to so we can run visiting rapido fitted locos.

Farish 66's have n Easyshunts fitted in place of the rapido . The opening where the rapido protrudes is slightly widened and then an Easy shunts is glued in. So far they work well and about half the fleet is now converted.

regards

Ian

Interesting reading about the Dapol Knuckles, I intend to convert most of my stock as the ones i'm using now are excellent. My container rake has them all fitted and not only closes the gap between wagons but also makes coupling almost 100 percent reliable. 

Ben, how did the filming go with the HD Kamtruck?

Graham.

Farish 66's have n Easyshunts fitted in place of the rapido . The opening where the rapido protrudes is slightly widened and then an Easy shunts is glued in. So far they work well and about half the fleet is now converted.

Hi Ian

..........Please don't think I am against the glueing-in of the couplings but  how sharp are the curves that you run them round in this sort of semi -solid state ?

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that in order to de-recouple they do need  a bit of lateral movement,which I am sure they would also need

on small radius curves....   I ask for the benefit of science or should that be modeling ?

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi there John

Hope you are well.

I run my Farish 66's on 11.5 inch curves and they are fine with the glued in Easy Shunt coupling. they also uncouple fine over the one magnet I have. Others have also commented that these work fine despite being glued rigid.

So far they have worked fine on various frieght trains for quite a few shows.

I haven't yet tried uncoupling two Farish 66's coupled together with these glued in ones but might give that a try this weekend if I remember.

Regards

Ian

Hello again Ian

As well as can be expected would be a fair answer, old father time just marches on and on but that's life :-)

I am rather surprised by your answer but as expected if you have done anything along these lines then it

has no doubt been tried and tested and will work....Yeah ! please let us know if two 66's will work back to

back.... I don't think this gluing-in has been mentioned on our coupling thread,so another little job for you.

but might be better to wait until you have the full picture.....Thanks for quick reply.

Modifying stock to take Dapol Easy Shunt magnetic couplings - Modifying & Detailing RTR stock - RMweb

All the best

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All

The layout is at the Shoeburyness Model Railway Club show at the Southend Leisure and Tennis Club this weekend.

No doubt there will be some new goodies on display and we might even tell you about plans for the new group layout if you ask nicely.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For those mot able to get to Warley Horseley Fields is at the Shoeburyness MRC show at Southend today (hopefully) entertaining punters of all ages.

post-420-0-78592800-1385219693_thumb.jpg

My N-thusiast tamper is finally working reliably (a decade after I built it!) thanks to the excellent fine electrical work of group member Paul Churchill, who's far better at getting crabby models running than anyone else I know!

post-420-0-78690100-1385219785_thumb.jpg

And Paul was showing off his rather impressive 3D printed class128 parcels car - including one respray end in a "what if they had one as a route learner" DRS livery....!

post-420-0-01433300-1385219869_thumb.jpg

Come and say hello if you're there tomorrow!

Cheers

Ben A.

Archived