Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

I have posted several pictures of your layout on my thread as reference points for some of the detailing. Was impressed with the big shed you said you 'wrapped' in plasticard after one of the other members made the wood basic structure. 

You can often read, and find threads interesting, but talking to the people who work it in real life just adds an extra dimension. :sungum:

you did make me smile, when you pointed out the shop at the end had been made by the owner, which was a surprise to you because you had until recently thought it was a club layout :jester:

I remember talking to one guy with a nice layout at a different show last year, and I asked a couple of questions about his layout, and he was so condescending. Yeah I did this and that not quite the same as doll making....I was so surprised....gobsmacked in fact....he clearly had some angst.....the wife maybe....who knows... but I remember walking off thinking what a pain in the backside.

Thankfully most people at shows are exceptionally nice and friendly like yourselves. But I was additionally impressed with regards to the fact that both of you  answered ALL my questions without hesitation. 

Am still seriously impressed at just how good the weathering was especially on the old abandoned concrete area 

med_gallery_17883_3195_389731.jpg

Excellent work, have joined your followers list, in order to catch any snippets you guys drop regards this lovely layout. :sungum:

You know we need a new emoticon.....a little guy with a thief's mask and a swag bag, for ideas you plan to try and copy :sungum:

I was on the hunt for some reference regards signals and track paraphernalia and picked up some great pictures yesterday. Am still processing everything.

Thanks again for the time and knowledge you both freely gave :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a couple more snaps from the weekend..

The smoothest running loco seemed to be Paul's Colas 66 by Dapol, which needs weathering. He convinced me this was because it had a Digitrax DCC chip inside, then when he opened it to show me discovered he hadn't fitted one!!

post-420-0-16574600-1401709447_thumb.jpg

And the doors of the steel terminal worked faultlessly all weekend, as did the light that comes on when you open the door (bit like a fridge) which was a relief.

post-420-0-76928300-1401709569_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Blimey!  Now get a cloth, dab in a tiny amount of thinners and wipe 95% of it off the sides, in downward strokes!!

Then after 30 mins or so dust some powder onto the bogies and they'll look great!

BTW have you seen the Colas 60 that's emerged?  

http://bit.ly/SonbEy

With the Colas 56s maybe we should switch our steel terminal from DB Schenker to Colas....

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

The Colas class 60 look marvellously you cleaned up the 66 a bit!

Ian

P's I tend to use Humbrol dark earth or matt chocolate for weathering rather than black as it dries a little less harsh but matt black on the roof

Hello all,

Just a couple more snaps from the weekend..

The smoothest running loco seemed to be Paul's Colas 66 by Dapol, which needs weathering. He convinced me this was because it had a Digitrax DCC chip inside, then when he opened it to show me discovered he hadn't fitted one!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And the doors of the steel terminal worked faultlessly all weekend, as did the light that comes on when you open the door (bit like a fridge) which was a relief.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben....Glad to hear a good time was had by all last weekend and that the doors worked as planned however I notice

that the once green light for go on the warehouse door has turned white, sweet paper ! remember ?

I like the bit about Paul's super free running Class 66, the one with the fitted Digitrax chip,   :-)

Cheers

John

I've already thought about that, I have lots of green leds so it should be an easy fix, my worry is that all johns old 8-track tape player parts will fall out and then the fridge door won't work :sarcastic:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

No need to change the LED!

The light has always been that colour but it's guided to the "signal" on the outside of the terminal by a length of fibre optic, and originally we had a small green filter (translucent green sweet wrapper) that made it appear green. Just consider it an excuse to buy a tin of Quality Street!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Great video - thanks for posting.  Even though I've obviously looked at it myself many times, seeing a video gives an interesting and different perspective on the layout.

And Paul - you may have won the loco races at DEMU but Nick is the all time champ.  Somewhere on Y Tube is a video him shunting at what looks like a scale 70mph.  Although it may have been Nigel, come to think of it!

cheers

Ben A.

• 4 months later...

So with my other layout currently on Tour in Cambridgeshire, I thought it time to commence "Operation HF2" which was the brain child of Ben A and has been discussed for so long It was about time we made it a reality!

Heres a little taster of the beginning of the layout extension... I'm sure Ben A will be along shortly to fill you all in on our new idea :)

post-18903-0-33822500-1413531529_thumb.jpg

The end board is to be removed, adding approximately four feet to the scenic section.

APOLOGIES - Just seen the quality of the picture... It looked ok on my IPHONE!! :blind:

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Paul, Nick and I had been talking about finding a way to extend Horseley Fields for a while.  As we have continued to accrue stock the fiddle yard was seeming more and more cramped, with the sidings never quite long enough, and also a longer scenic section along the front not only would allow more time for people to watch the individual trains, but would also give operators more time to think at the back as each circuit would take longer.

Extending the station end allows us to complete the platforms; while I have no problem with using the station footbridge as a scenic break I think a complete station will be visually more satisfying.

Lastly, an extension to the station end would allow a longer run for the working bus, which as we've said many times always generates far more interest than any of our trains!!!

So I started sketching out some plans.  At the back the fiddle yard will just drop in to the centre, requiring some neat wiring (by Paul) and simply lengths of straight track.  For the front, I experimented with a few ideas and settled on a simple extension with a crossover to allow us to use the freight loop.  There is also a single engineers' siding.

This is the concept drawing I did after the DEMU show:

post-420-0-66103200-1413545142_thumb.jpg

The Network Rail siding was added for more operational interest, because of the increasing availability of engineers vehicles such as the Oxford Diecast NR vans and upcoming Green Max tamper, and after I was inspired by a similar siding at Huntingdon, not far from where I live.  At Huntingdon I have seen various items of track machinery from different companies being refuelled, or having water topped up, and there are stores and a "container" portable office too:

post-420-0-41164200-1413545177.jpg

The trickiest part will be moving the "curved" read backscene section across the boards, but I am sure our carpenters are up to the job!

Once the boards are done we will lay and wire the track, and then sort the scenics.  I'll finalise the exact plan for buildings etc then.  I imagine it will be ready in a few months and certainly in time for our invite to Eurospoor next year in the Netherlands!  I am not sure if we have any invites before then...! 

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Rmwebbers!!

Ive been a busy bee tonight, new track installed and we also have some concrete points too!!

post-18903-0-92687000-1414533425_thumb.jpg

Behind the scenes John (Engage) has built us a new trestle which is mighty fine too!! A picture will follow once ive built the thing :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

It looks like you've done a really neat job there - well done.  Has John made the trestle as a kit for you to assemble or am I missing the meaning of your post?

Looking ahead to the scenics, I think we can hide the join between the boards at the station end by slightly re-positioning Nick's parade of shops to cover it, and doing the same with John's footbridge, though that may need a little rebuilding or modification so it is viewable from both sides.

At the far end there will be a disused trackbed perpendicular to the tracks and the road on an embankment with overbridges, which should disguise the exit.

The trickiest job will be the backscene - I think my best bet may be to bite the bullet and simply repaint the whole thing blue, then redo the clouds.  I think this may be easier than trying to match the new backboard to what we already have, plus I was never really happy with the clouds but learned a lot doing them and I think I could do better now.

cheers

Ben A.

Yes the trestle has been collected in kit form so i'll be attempting it some time this week, then its onto the wiring and test it, once i'm happy i'll lay the ballast as i have some from the original build. As to the backscene I agree a full repaint may indeed be easier than trying to match things in..

Archived