Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a little work done today... as others have ponted out, our station forecourt really needs some vehicles and buses. While in Wolverhampton recently I noticed Black Diamond buses "at the heart of the black country" and so a suitable Japanese donor model was found and reliveried....

post-420-0-68901800-1329781366_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Simon,

The bus started life predominantly white, so first I removed all the side glazing, masked the front and rear windows and resprayed it using Halfords grey primer and satin black.

I produced artwork using CorelDraw then printed it onto A4 sized self adhesive labels at "best quality." It took a few goes to get the weight of the lettering right. This was sealed with artists' spray fixative to protect against UV fading. The lettering is only on certain areas, so I designed the artwork to follow the panel lines of the vehicle.

You'll see I have also been playing with speed signs, but these are a work in progress. (TBH all the road signs, building signs and station signs have taken me ages - I didn't quite realise the modern world is so full of signage!)

post-420-0-18484100-1329783015.jpg

The labels were cut out and then fixed on, and the white edges hidden with a fine rotring pen.

Finally, as I felt the labels did not have quite the same intensity of colour, I brushed on a very thin coat of Klear which evened everything up nicely.

Thanks for your kind words BTW!

cheers

Ben A.

Although I model with ten thumbs and crayons, I am starting to see the appeal of N. There is now a wide enough range of top quality models available to be able to do realistic layouts without all that old clunky detail screaming - toy!

Although if I ever wanted to do something in N, it would have to wait behind the two concurrent layouts I am building (one in 1:24 and the other in 1:76) followed by the soon to be started 1:12 plank, then the proposed 1:43 NZ logging tramway. Keeps me busy.

another superb n gauge layout i really have to get a move on with mine keep stopping and starting with inspiration like this me thinks am going to have to sort myself out great layout cant wait to see it finished

• RMweb Gold

Hello Simon,

The bus started life predominantly white, so first I removed all the side glazing, masked the front and rear windows and resprayed it using Halfords grey primer and satin black.

I produced artwork using CorelDraw then printed it onto A4 sized self adhesive labels at "best quality." It took a few goes to get the weight of the lettering right. This was sealed with artists' spray fixative to protect against UV fading. The lettering is only on certain areas, so I designed the artwork to follow the panel lines of the vehicle.

You'll see I have also been playing with speed signs, but these are a work in progress. (TBH all the road signs, building signs and station signs have taken me ages - I didn't quite realise the modern world is so full of signage!)

post-420-0-18484100-1329783015.jpg

The labels were cut out and then fixed on, and the white edges hidden with a fine rotring pen.

Finally, as I felt the labels did not have quite the same intensity of colour, I brushed on a very thin coat of Klear which evened everything up nicely.

Thanks for your kind words BTW!

cheers

Ben A.

Ben how true you are about modern day signage. I keep noticing more and more signs I need to add to Banbury the more I study the photos of the real location. Superb printing you have done there.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Thanks. The artwork is produced using CorelDraw essentials (this can often be picked up cheap bundled with graphics pads or similar at Lidl) and the Gill Sans, BR Rail Alphabet, Transport etc fonts were all open sourced and downloaded from the internet.

There are also some very useful style guides out there too; for example this for railway signalling, safety and speed signs:

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Control%20Command%20and%20Signalling/Railway%20Group%20Standards/GIRT7033%20Iss%202.pdf

HTH

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Thanks. That looks a really useful document. WIll have a good look through that when I get chance.

I did find a pack of Sankey n scale trackside signs I bought at Wigan show so they will do some of the signs but not all of the ones I need.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

More work on the layout today, though beginning to feel like we are reaching the point of diminishing returns; lots of time is spent on the small details.

Today John and I put in three hours just fitting small speed restriction signs, signalling signs and station platform warning signs. Some more detail was added to the building site cameo and the GSM-R mast was fitted.

post-420-0-99097900-1331242434_thumb.jpg

I think now attention will turn to rolling stock ready for the NGS AGM in May - the next outing for Horseley Fields. This unit is far too clean!

cheers

Ben A.

post-13207-0-40193600-1331321722_thumb.jpgHello All. Steel Warehouse, The finished Job ! If I can get the picture uploaded!

The steel warehouse has always been a joint modeling project between Ben (The Master Modeler) and myself. It features two semi automatic doors (one each

end of the rail track) ,and a light that comes on to indicate that the doors are in the up position, this light (12v grain of wheat) also provides the light to illuminate the fibre optics leading to the outside green indicator light by the door,see picture. Ben has recently added the small items on the outside like CCTV camera, decals, lights, switches and conduit etc. He is much too modest to canvas for Brownie Points but I am going to give him 9.5 out of 10 for effort anyway. What do you think ? The next job will be to devise some sort of uncoupling device to drop wagons in the inside of warehouse, we intend to try out the new Easi Shunt decouplers, I dont like the idea of cutting out 7 sleepers for each magnet though!

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

To make sure we are ready to put on a decent show (we hope!!) at the AGM in May we have increased the frequency of our group get-togethers from monthly to three weekly.

At today's session we all practiced operating the new longer fiddle yard sidings John has put in, which will help us to run a greater variety of trains and longer trains, than we have been able to previously.

Suitable weathered steel loads - beams, plates, girders, were also positioned in the yard - these piles much inspired by similar items that can be seen in photographs of Wolverhampton Steel Terminal. A suitable heavy duty forklift has also been acquired!

The station car park has also been populated with cars; though I am undecided on whether we should glue them down or not..

We have also been discussing what sort of trains we should run; passenger services are primarily London Midland suburban services, with through Virgin expresses and, although now defunct, we are also running Wrexham and Shropshire just because they look so nice!

Here are some photos.

DB Schenker 66 with Tarmac JGS rolls through the station.

post-420-0-28151900-1331493276_thumb.jpg

Looking the other way as the aggregate train continues past the steel terminal. In this view both doors are closed. A London Midland Class 170 is approaching the station.

post-420-0-15524200-1331493432_thumb.jpg

Viewed from across the mainline, a DB Schenker (es EWS) Class 66 reverses BDA wagons into the terminal. The rail-served door is now open.

post-420-0-15118700-1331493583_thumb.jpg

The loco reverses its train back into the terminal. The interior is lit, and a green signal light can be seen next to the door. The heavy duty forklift is loading a truck to the right.

post-420-0-31434800-1331493688_thumb.jpg

The forklift is a Japanese model repainted to match one photographed at Wolverhampton recently. Apologies for the poor quality; this was snapped from a moving train!

post-420-0-17124100-1331494099_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

Superb Ben, really looking forward to seeing this at TINGS. I particularly like the yard details and the communications mast. Another (rare) layout that really works because of the observation skills of the modellers - a model of how things are, not how they are imagined to be. Top marks!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hello Armchair and Ian,

Funnily enough, Acton mainline was the layout that more than any other gave me the inspiration to take up N in the mid 90s. Of course, it wasn't long before I discovered that AML was very much the exception rather than the rule in terms of quality!

Incidentally, the lighting towers we are using are those by TPM that were developed by Bernard Taylor for the layout, before joining his standard range, and are based on those at Acton!

Acton now goes by the name of Dragonby, I believe, and has had some other details added by the new owners but is still recognisable.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I saw Acton under its new name at a show a couple of years ago at a show we were exhibiting at. The new owners did not know the origins of the layout as they had bought it from some one else that had bought it from the Croydon Model Railway Society and htus didnt know much about the layout. As it happened, Dick (who did most of the work on the layout) visited that show and spent some time playing with the layout once more!

Ian

Archived