Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Funnily enough I did write to Hanson some years ago for details of their (then new) cl 59 liveries and they sent me a very useful corporate livery guide which gave details of everything from notepaper to building and vehicle signage!

Come and say hello if you're at the NGS AGM!

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben

Thanks for the reply.

I worked for Hanson until 2 years ago so only pulling your chain as it were.

The Dapol couplings really interest me as have 2 packs and ready to install on a few loco's and stock but want the delay 100% reliable so looking for hints.

I look forward to getting to see the layout in the flesh.

Cheers

David S

If I remember rightly, somewhere in the thread about them Dapol Dave mentions how to tweak them to get it working properly,

it's just the pin needs twisting ever so slightly to make sure the coupling is pushed round the right amount.

This looks really good. Would you be keen to share your "simple circuit flipping them to red as the train passes, then cycling back to green on a timer" for your signals? :)

Hi Kiwinewt

Reading between the lines (words) of your question I would love to be able to explain a simple,cheap home made device that we had cobbold together, no can do!

The circuit boards are as Ben suggested from Heathcote Electronics and were indeed bought together in a package from C R Signals. The 3 aspect signals are

triggered by the passing train by infra red sensors, the latter being fitted between 2 sleepers, the ballast being first removed to accommodate them.Since the ballast

can not be replaced they are on close inspection quite noticeable but that's the price one has to pay!

Cheers

John

Looking for something different ? try this link and join in. Class 49....49 001 - Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding - RMweb

Cracking layout. Did you get permission from Hanson for the logo's per chance??

What have you done regarding uncoupling magnets and couplings?

Hi Gordini5

YOU JUST CAN'T BE SERIOUS ! (John McEnroe) Ben has more than adequately answered your logo question but were we to ask permission and be refused can you imagine

all the repainting etc that it would involve ? cement works,fleet of lorries not to mention my Hanson 8 Legger Logo (top left) no! better that they don't know that we use the logo! :-)

Cheers

John

Guest Moria

Awesome layout Ben and team:)

Just read through the whole thing and really wish I could be in the UK to see it in the flesh, but for those of us stuck here in the colonies.. please keep up with the photos and descriptions. I really hope I can do something half as good with Torcross.

Regards to the whole team.

Graham

Hi Graham

Many thanks for calling by and for the very kind words,it's nice to know that people who live thousands of miles away

take an interest in what we are doing in GB Had a look at your blog, like what I see, left msge.

Regards

John

Guest Moria

No problem John, in fact, having just reread some of the posts, I can't believe that for road surfaces and Scalescene buildings I hadn't thought of printing onto self adhesive paper. I have both labels and vinyl suitable for my laser printer which I can use. I guess I just didn't connect the dots as I have for sometime been using Corel Draw and self adhesive vinyl to make some coach sides etc amongst other things using my Craft Robo plotter including cutting 20thou plasticard for the framing walls.

Really makes me wonder if old age has set in for good at last :)

Thanks for the wonderful idea, I am afraid I am going to have to steal er I mean borrow it :)

Regards

Graham

No problem John, in fact, having just reread some of the posts, I can't believe that for road surfaces and Scalescene buildings I hadn't thought of printing onto self adhesive paper. I have both labels and vinyl suitable for my laser printer which I can use. I guess I just didn't connect the dots as I have for sometime been using Corel Draw and self adhesive vinyl to make some coach sides etc amongst other things using my Craft Robo plotter including cutting 20thou plasticard for the framing walls.

Really makes me wonder if old age has set in for good at last :)

Thanks for the wonderful idea, I am afraid I am going to have to steal er I mean borrow it :)

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham

Got an ongoing senility problem myself but try not to worry about it . That's what a web site like this is all about,the passing on

of information it can save hours of wasted time on experimentation etc, if one has a good look round or even asks for advice,

and as you well know asking cost's nothing.The station car park is a little prone to bubbling up but Ben can not doubt explain

exactly what he used and any associated pitfalls.

Cheers

John

Guest Moria

Thanks John.

Quick question.. did you lay the track on cork or direct to baseboard? Theres a couple of early shots that show cork, but almost as if you had laid cork between the tracks rather than under it :)

On Torcross, pretty much all of it is station and MPD area, so I really don't need deep ballast and cess around, and the peco track gives a pretty deep edge to the ballast for that type of area. I really don't think that when it's all down the cork would give much sound deadening, and it adds another layer that may get uneven, where the board is solidly flat:)

I've always used cork before but sometimes it seems that without a great deal of care it can cause as many problems as it might be trying to solve. Just wondering on your approach to this.

Regards

Graham

Thanks John.

Quick question.. did you lay the track on cork or direct to baseboard? Theres a couple of early shots that show cork, but almost as if you had laid cork between the tracks rather than under it :)

On Torcross, pretty much all of it is station and MPD area, so I really don't need deep ballast and cess around, and the peco track gives a pretty deep edge to the ballast for that type of area. I really don't think that when it's all down the cork would give much sound deadening, and it adds another layer that may get uneven, where the board is solidly flat:)

I've always used cork before but sometimes it seems that without a great deal of care it can cause as many problems as it might be trying to solve. Just wondering on your approach to this.

Regards

Graham

No! we laid the track direct onto 5mm plywood,the cross members are quite close together,about 220mm so this probably helps with any drumming noise

caused by traffic movements which in our case is minimal. We did however use a piece of 4mm cork to create an incline and base for the station car park.

I have used cork on my own layout to good effect and have had no problems,I usually stick the cork down first with PVA then lay the track and trim the cork

as required later.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello Graham,

Thanks for your kind words about the layout.

For some of the road surface area (under the bridge) I used fine grade wet and dry paper torn into small pieces (to create the broken effect) and glued down, then weathered and scenicked.

The large car park area, and parts of the platform surface, are Scalescenes printed out onto A4 sized self adhesive labels. Before fixing in place these are sprayed with artists' fixative that incorporates a UV block. Given that the layout is rarely in direct sunlight I am hoping that this will preserve the colour for a few years; it is relatively straightforward to replace should the need arise.

I also used self adhesive labels to build the Scalescenes structures on the layout (viaduct arches mainly) because the Scalescenes method often involves "wrapping" printed sheeting around thicker card, and trying to glue this in N is fiddly!

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

With just one week to go until Horseley Fields makes an appearance at the N Gauge Society AGM exhibition, we took the opportunity to have a running session today. Apart from a sticking point motor, and some clumsy shunting, all seemed to go OK!

On a more positive note, we welcomed Alan and Julian as two potential new members to the group, and were able to give one of the new Farish Desiro units its first run out.

post-420-0-69015900-1337534934_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-11574600-1337534999_thumb.jpg

As the layout was, to some extent, designed around this item it was a gratifying moment - and all present agreed that it is a lovely model!

cheers

Ben A.

Guest Moria

Great work, looks lovely. Would love to come to AGM to see it:)

So much detail to be seen and use as inspiration on this. Congrats all.

REgards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to those who came and said hello at today's NGS AGM at Cotgrave. A lovely day, in a lovely part of the world, and a great atmosphere at the show!

The layout performed almost faultlessly - just a failed point motor in the fiddle yard late in the day causing some minor irritation, and the uncoupling in the steel terminal - using Dapol Easi-shunt couplers - worked with virtually 100% reliability.

Some photos - apologies for the quality, they were snapped on a phone at random moments during the day!

66115 shunts steel wagons into the terminal. These trains are a mix of open wagons - BDAs and (here) SPAs and covered wagons such as the KIAs and BYAs immediately behind the locomotive.

post-420-0-83436000-1338056133_thumb.jpg

The operating bus pulls away from the station. Our working buses (this Dennis Dart in Black Diamond colours, and a National Express Plaxton coach) generated more questions and interest than the trains! One lady told her husband he had to get one for his layout - and offered to pay!

post-420-0-30317000-1338056303_thumb.jpg

A china clay train returning from the Potteries crosses over the canal.

post-420-0-72174400-1338056602_thumb.jpg

An overview of the "northern" end of the layout.

post-420-0-63182300-1338056733_thumb.jpg

Freightliner/Shanks 66522 with a blue circle cement train. The majority of these wagons are the new Metalair PCAs from Farish, with some depressed centre variants (enhanced with the TPM detailing pack) mixed in. It really needs some of the French CFMF versions to complete the mix; these are completed but awaiting couplings. Apologies for the poor quality of the shot - the perspex front was causing some reflection problems!

post-420-0-48161200-1338056812_thumb.jpg

The only negative was that when we arrived we were positioned in a fairly gloomy corner, where the light was poor. Luckily the NGS came to the rescue with some clip on lamps, however I think that for future exhibitions we need to produce a lighting pelmet of some kind so we are not in the hands of such genies of the lamp!

Once again, thanks to everyone for their positive feedback. Horseley Fields will be at Hoddesdon on July 14th, and at the N Gauge International show at Leamington in September.

Thanks too to the rest of the team - group leader Nick, John, Stephen, Nigel, Roger, Lesley and Julian.

cheers

Ben A.

Wow looks fantastic, I really wanted to come but unfortunately my mum and dad were busy so I couldn't get down there! I MUST come next year.....

Thanks for sharing the pics, I have already saved them and will be using them for ideas and inspiration for my new layout. :senile:

Thanks again, MNG

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to those who came and said hello at today's NGS AGM at Cotgrave. A lovely day, in a lovely part of the world, and a great atmosphere at the show!

The layout performed almost faultlessly - just a failed point motor in the fiddle yard late in the day causing some minor irritation, and the uncoupling in the steel terminal - using Dapol Easi-shunt couplers - worked with virtually 100% reliability.

Some photos - apologies for the quality, they were snapped on a phone at random moments during the day!

66115 shunts steel wagons into the terminal. These trains are a mix of open wagons - BDAs and (here) SPAs and covered wagons such as the KIAs and BYAs immediately behind the locomotive.

post-420-0-83436000-1338056133_thumb.jpg

The operating bus pulls away from the station. Our working buses (this Dennis Dart in Black Diamond colours, and a National Express Plaxton coach) generated more questions and interest than the trains! One lady told her husband he had to get one for his layout - and offered to pay!

post-420-0-30317000-1338056303_thumb.jpg

A china clay train returning from the Potteries crosses over the canal.

post-420-0-72174400-1338056602_thumb.jpg

An overview of the "northern" end of the layout.

post-420-0-63182300-1338056733_thumb.jpg

Freightliner/Shanks 66522 with a blue circle cement train. The majority of these wagons are the new Metalair PCAs from Farish, with some depressed centre variants (enhanced with the TPM detailing pack) mixed in. It really needs some of the French CFMF versions to complete the mix; these are completed but awaiting couplings. Apologies for the poor quality of the shot - the perspex front was causing some reflection problems!

post-420-0-48161200-1338056812_thumb.jpg

The only negative was that when we arrived we were positioned in a fairly gloomy corner, where the light was poor. Luckily the NGS came to the rescue with some clip on lamps, however I think that for future exhibitions we need to produce a lighting pelmet of some kind so we are not in the hands of such genies of the lamp!

Once again, thanks to everyone for their positive feedback. Horseley Fields will be at Hoddesdon on July 14th, and at the N Gauge International show at Leamington in September.

Thanks too to the rest of the team - group leader Nick, John, Stephen, Nigel, Roger, Lesley and Julian.

cheers

Ben A.

Ben

Looking forward to seeing he layout at Leamington as we will be ther with Banbury.

Ian

Guest Moria

Awesome Ben.. congrats to you and the team for the show and for the layout.

Glad you had a great time and it went so well.

REgards

Graham

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well, we had fun at the Hoddesdon MRS show at Sheredes school yesterday. The ongoing rainy summer seems to mean bumper attendances at indoor events such as model railway shows. We did have some glitches - a dead section in the fiddle yard proved irritating (trains having to be "pushed through" the section by hand, rather than advancing at the flick of a switch) and perhaps more annoyingly, our working bus couldn't work because part of its route (the bus stop) became detached in transit. Luckily it was later recovered and will be more securely transported for our next outing!

Here are some shots....

Nick and John operating the layout. We were in a nice bright corner of a classroom - a considerable improvement on our slightly dingy NGS AGM location...

post-420-0-98819400-1342375044_thumb.jpg

Powered by a hired-in Freightliner 90 the Virgin Pretendolino Mk3 rake speeds past as 60052 shunts a rake of BDA flats and BYA covered steel wagons into the outer siding of the terminal. The open wagons will be uncoupled and then the BYAs will be pushed into the terminal, after the door is opened. Apologies for the light reflection from the perspex at the front!

post-420-0-94493600-1342375658_thumb.jpg

Here is a view looking the other way as the Class 60 reverses into the siding. The GMPR mast has been the victim of over-enthusiastic pointing and will be straightened up again!!

post-420-0-08032900-1342375819_thumb.jpg

Until I saw this photo I didn't realise we hadn't firmly fixed the roofs of the steel terminal in place! (They are detachable to allow maintenance of the operating door mechanism) The doors at each end open, and inside can be seen the end of a BYA. Outside the shed the open wagons - BDAs here, but also SPAs, are unloaded. This replicates, in condensed form, the operations at the Wolverhampton, on which our model is based.

post-420-0-83908100-1342375526_thumb.jpg

Finally, here is a view of the fiddle yard. We try to run a variety of modern stock that is reasonably accurate for the location and era; among others there are Tornado on a steam special (in its original lighter green livery), Freightliner 66 with a rake of Lafarge JPA tanks, EWS 60 (ex mainline) with MBAs full of scrap, 350s in London Midland and reverse blue grey, a China Clay train, short engineers train, London Midland turbostar and other aggregate, scrap and steel trains.

post-420-0-91417900-1342376007_thumb.jpg

In future, we a coal train or two and it would be nice to have one or two Class 323 EMUs representing the local stopping services on the line. I have been following the various projects involving rapid prototyping with interest and hoping one of these might help us with this!

The layout is next appearing at the N Gauge International show at Leamington in September.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived