Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Yes, I think that shot may have been taken by the N Gauge Journal manager Richard Bardsley at TINGS last year. 

The caption isn't quite right though - we're the Northants and Cambs area group of the NGS, not "North Hants and Cambs" - which would be altogether more geographically challenging!

cheers

Ben A.

The caption isn't quite right though - we're the Northants and Cambs area group of the NGS, not "North Hants and Cambs" -

Oh, I thought you were the peoples judian front, or was it the peoples front of Judia??

Photo looks good Ben.

Cheers,

Scott

I'll second that like for the low platform shot and I was also pleased to see Horseley fields on the front of the NGS Mag! shame I've not got to opening it yet.

I got to see the layout last yeat at TINGS briefly, but I might hopefully get to the Biggleswade show for a proper look!

Regards

Lee :)

• RMweb Premium

The platform level photo is fantastic. If ever there was a picture that should be captioned "I can't believe it's N Gauge" this is it!

One thing it does show though if how heavy looking the OHLE insulators and registration arms are on the gantry compated to the Dapol masts. They're nowhere near as noticable when you see it for real.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am afraid I can't take any credit for the photo - it was taken by the brilliant Chris Nevard.

He took about 8 shots, from the same position, with the camera focussed on different points, and then used a computer programme to stitch them all together.  And the photo was taken with an SLR sized camera, but through the end hole as the layout was part dismantled to effect it!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Our new lighting pelmet made its debut at the Biggleswade exhibition yesterday, and as far as we are concerned worked well.  It's virtually a copy of the one used by Ian (Roundhouse) on his Banbury layout, and we'd like to thank Ian for all the help he gave us via correspondence.

We decided we needed to have our own lighting arrangement after we found ourselves in a gloomy corner at last year's NGS AGM.  That was no fault of the exhibition organisers, and they did an amazing job sourcing spotlights etc to help us out, but we did feel that we owed it to other organisers - and the public who pay to attend shows - to ensure our efforts could be seen properly.

post-420-0-10979900-1361689459_thumb.jpg

The unit was built by group member John Ruff and incorporates strip lights from Maplins.  It slots together with dowel pegs and is then secured by coachbolts, before lifting onto the side pillars.

This wider shot shows how busy the show was.

post-420-0-14117600-1361689540_thumb.jpg

Apart from the success of the pelmet; we had a mixed day.  A couple of early electrical niggles were soon solved but we did struggle a little all day with controllers overheating; we're not sure why but we may simply by a couple of spares and "rotate" them around to allow them to cool off - almost constant use for a solid 7 hours may be asking a little too much.

I'll try to upload more photos later.

cheers

Ben A.

post-420-0-10979900-1361689459_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-14117600-1361689540_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Lighting pelmet looks good. A big improvment over mine is that yours is that little bit higher which should reduce the number of times taller viewers knock their heads on it.

With regards overheating controllers, when we used DC controllers on California Coast (especially with multiple locos) we found that they heated up and cut out, doing this more often as the controllers got older. We used to use the small Gaugemaster handheld ones but changed to the Modellex ones which cut out far less.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Yes - we made ours slightly higher at your suggestion!!  But given the method of construction, could you not raise yours simply with longer end poles?

As for the controllers - the small Gaugemaster hand held units are the ones we use too.  I will mention to the group that perhaps we should consider replacing them with the Modellex ones.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I could. However the current poles slot into the pellet sections for transport so any longer ones would not fit.

I am looking at some other methods before going with this option.

The Modelllex controllers are quite a bit larger in the hand so bear that in mind aswell.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Ben, John,

How was the steel depot's shed painted? Hairy brush, aerosol or air-brush? I'm working on several buildings of a similar size for the Yorkshire Area Group's layout "Heworth Sidings" and as much as I like the finish of air-brushing I'm sure I'll get cramp in my fingers if I use the air-brush for doing much more than weathering & shading effects.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven

The building was primed with Halfords grey primer (either plastic or plain, I tend to use them interchangeably and have noticed no discernible difference) and then sprayed rail grey.  It was a bit of a pain to spray that large area with an airbrush but taken carefully and steadily, to ensure ful coverage, it was OK.   On the roof I first masked off the "daylight" panels which now show as a darker grey.

The sides and ends were then masked up and the contrasting panels painted in Halford's Lada adriatic blue, which is a good match for British Steel Blue (and also, I believe, for early NSE blue too!)

The details were added and the whole thing weathered with powders before a final coat of cheap artists' spray-on matt varnish.

post-420-0-23807200-1361725836_thumb.jpg

I should add that I originally painted the blue areas a much darker shade, and it was exhibited in this form at Model Rail live in 2011 as this photo shows:

post-420-0-79361800-1361725579_thumb.jpg

I decided soon afterward that his colour was too dark, so simply sanded the colour to create a key, remasked, reprimed and then sprayed on the paler blue.

cheers

Ben A.

Lighting pelmet looks good. A big improvment over mine is that yours is that little bit higher which should reduce the number of times taller viewers knock their heads on it.

Hi Ian

...........Fair comment but who told us to make it high enough in the first place ?   Regarding the stowage of poles ! I would

like to reciprocate by showing you these pics, I got the idea from someone who lives south of London..,same idea different

application.

post-13207-0-26368800-1361790852_thumb.jpg

post-13207-0-63202400-1361790895_thumb.jpg

Take care

Cheers 

John.....Resident Chief Engineer to HF.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifModel Railways (49).JPG

attachicon.gifModel Railways (50).JPG

Take care

Cheers 

John.....Resident Chief Engineer to HF.

yes, I learnt the hard way regarding the hieght.

Your poles fit into the baseboard top where as mine fit onto the side of the legs so I lose a bit of height there and any longer pole wont slot into the pelemt for transport and storage. I have a few ideas I may try to raise it though.

I do like your box to transport them in. Unfortunately mine have to go in loose into the car due to the space constraints with the layout and 4 of us in the car

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks to all RM Webbers who came to say hello at the March model railway show today.

The layout ran pretty well, however we are considering switching controllers after some (admittedly minor) overheating issues.  The only significant problem we had was a failure in the auxiliary power feed, so the working doors on the steel terminal didn't, nor did the signals or traverser crane.

Here are some pics - snapped on a phone and through perspex, so apologies for any reflections or blurring!

Here is an overview showing group members John, Nigel (behind) and Nick getting to grips with the layout:

post-420-0-62633300-1362250463_thumb.jpg

Two new models:  The rather nice Dapol Class 86901 and 902 pair in Network rail livery.  What are these locos used for?  Also, they haven't yet been weathered, and "brows" need to be fitted to the windscreens of 86901.  What are these for?

post-420-0-53473100-1362250509_thumb.jpg

NGS Inspection Saloon passes the terminal.  I am not sure if this is an authentic consist but the train looks nice!

post-420-0-72788400-1362250556_thumb.jpg

Cross country Voyager and "Apollo" livery Desiro pass.  Our layout is set from 2000-present day, and we are not too fastidious about liveries etc.

post-420-0-77647300-1362250602_thumb.jpg

DB Schenker coal train making its show debut.

post-420-0-88964500-1362250642_thumb.jpg

Close up of one of the wagons.  I have had these for a while but only just got around to weathering them.

post-420-0-97868500-1362251381_thumb.jpg

And finally - where we dropped a clanger.  This is where the "outside" wagons (ie opens such as SPA, BDA) are uncoupled from the "inside" wagons (covered BYAs, BRAs and KIAs)  Unfortunately, it was only when we tried to operate the layout at a show we realised that it's almost impossible to watch this from behind the layout - our plan now is to install a mirror on the back of the lighting pelmet!  To be fair, the Dapol Easi-shunt couplers have proved to be almost 100% reliable whether we can see them or not!

post-420-0-58604300-1362251451_thumb.jpg

Our next outing is Trainwest at Melksham on April 13/14 - it's our first foray into the West Country so do come and say hello!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, impressive as always. I'm curious about the operation of the layout - how many trains does the storage yard hold? I take it you store up a couple of trains in each line, then isolate once the lead one has left and so on in a shunting storage approach ?

Wondering how many different trains the punters get to see at a show.

David

Hi Ben

Perspex or no that's another nice set of pics added to the thread and another nice day out.....A clanger Ben.!

I am admitting to no such thing, an oversight maybe but not a clanger. Yes I am looking forward to Melksham. Do

you think us East Anglian carrot crunchers will make ourselves understood down there in the swede country ?

Cheers

John...CE to HF

Two new models:  The rather nice Dapol Class 86901 and 902 pair in Network rail livery.  What are these locos used for?  Also, they haven't yet been weathered, and "brows" need to be fitted to the windscreens of 86901.  What are these for?

According to the wonders of Wikipedia these are used for 'mobile load-bank testing'  and more specifically 'test the overhead line supply of electrified lines by simulating various loads'. It also says that they cannot pull anything 'significant' so are pulled by a diesel loco.

Hope this helps?

Bumpkin 

Archived