Coupling of Suburbans/B Sets

• RMweb Premium

I want to make up 2 rakes of GWR B Sets. I have a number of questions:

Were they always used in pairs or can I run a rake of 3 or 5?

How is each pair coupled together - brake end to brake end, compartment end to compartment end, or brake end to comparment end?

Does it then matter how each pair are combined with a following pair?

Many thanks

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it GWR 'B' sets were always coupled with the brake ends at each end of the set. You can have two sets coupled togeher but you would not normally see a single coach added to make a three coach train.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Tim Venton's excellent Clutton site has some bits on B sets:

http://www.tventon.freeserve.co.uk/bset.htm

Looking through all my GWR books, what Chris said is correct about them always being coupled with the brake ends outermost. Note that the pictures on the Clutton site show them permenantly coupled with no buffers on the inboard ends.

They could be reinforced with extra coaches if required, but these would be, say for example a slip coach or an all third, rather than a singleton from a B set.

hth

Regards

Richard

Yes, the B-sets were coupled with the brake ends outermost.

They were almost always run in pairs. The only exception I know of were the late diagram E147s which could be run singly if required (e.g. on the Kingsbridge branch).

It was not common to see trains of multiple B-set coaches however there were other things if you are looking for a longer rake. Firstly it was not uncommon for a van of some type to be coupled behind a B-set if there was plenty of parcels traffic (a siphon G or CCT would be good for this). If traffic was heavy then non-corridor 3rds were often coupled behind the B-set to strengthen them (diagram C61/63 would be typical and is available as a kit from Comet models).

Also the GWR did run 3 and 4-car rakes of suburban coaches (imaginatively named C and D-sets). These were similar but slightly different vehicles and are not available RTR. If you are modelling in 4mm I believe that Comet coaches also make kits of the appropriate diagrams.

If you are not confident about building complete kits it might be possible to overlay the comet coach sides onto a Horby B-set coach. Please note that this is just an idea. I have not checked if the lengths are exactly correct for this.

This discussion has things in common with one that has been taking place elsewhere on RMWeb.

I would certainly agree with Happy Hippo's advice to look at Tim Venton's website. You will find that the venerable ex-Airfix coach is not the end of the matter by any means.

For our purposes a B set is a pair of brake composites with the brake end outwards. There were several types. Seven sets were built to diagram E116. K's made a plastic kit for these and one runs on Clutton. Then there were five to diagram E129 - Comet make a kit - and two to diagram E135. These had a long association with the Looe branch and were slightly narrower than other contemporary coaches.

Then came the E140s as made by Airfix, then Dapol, then Hornby. There must be thousands of layouts with these! They had 7 ft wheelbase bogies. In all there were 41 sets, ie 82 coaches, built to this design. A further 25 sets were turned out as diagram E145 with bodies the same as E140 but with 9 ft wheelbase bogies. Thr absolute golden rule is not to run Airfix brake composites singly! If yo ufind a pic of one on its own it isn't a brake composite but a brake second of the very similar type D109.

All these were permanently coupled with either rudimentary buffers or none at all at the inner ends - a suitable case for the Keen Systems coupling if you like the technology.

Then came the E147s, in four batches. The first three batches seem to have run around in pairs all their lives but at least some of the fourth batch ran singly for part of their existence. Comet make a kit.

There were three more designs - E157, E161 and E167. All these had proper buffers at each end and were capable of working singly, as many did. Some were formed into four coach sets with compartment seconds in between. Others worked singly. Only last night I came across a photo of two E167s coupled brake to brake but this did not happen every day!

I would advise looking at some pics. Several of the fine albums by the equally fine Peter Gray tell it like it was in the West Country.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Outstanding. Many thnaks to all involved.

I will have a look at the couplings which I may be able to remove and make a "close coupler" out of plastic rod to slip into the original mounting pockets.

I am having problems buying these things singly and often end up with another pair, which of course I can't bear to split and sell half.

• 2 years later...

Archived