TPO trains - Offset Corridors

• RMweb Premium

I have reworked the Hornby TPO to something a lot more realistic, including offset corridor connectors. There are plenty of photos of single TPOs on the 'net, but no details of how far the offset permeated throughout the stock.

Date is mid/late 40s, region is GWR.

I have a number of full brakes and "bashed" parcels stock which can be altered to have offset.

Were all vehicles in a mail train (with TPO) offset in terms of corridor, or if not, in what vehicles did the gangways return to centre?

Thanks.

have a look here at models of TPO's i have built

http://mozzer-models...t/c1850524.html

the of set was to stop passingers getting in to the TPO if the coach was run with passinger coaches

NPS Coaches with off set corridors were built for the TPO trafic not just any parcels stock

if you are after the right stock then 247 Developments do GWR TPO kits

• RMweb Premium

The purpose of the offset in the TPO cars was to allow for space for the operation of the catcher and "flinger" equipment for mail bag re-distribution.

The GWR rebuilt certain coaches to act as 'converter' coaches for use in TPO only trains.

Earlier trains had a Diagram K9 clerestory with offset one end and centre gangway at the other.

Two K40 full brakes (81 & 1177) were rebuilt with offset gangway at one end only in 1937 to run with GW TPO to Penzance with a third K40 no 39 was rebuilt to same spec in 1949. GPO Records show a clerestory K17 no 1125 rebuilt in a similar way but I have never found any photo evidence of this vehicle

Blacksmith produce a full kit for the K9 whilst Comet and A F Hammond both produce the K40 sides and they fit exactly onto an Airfix/Hornby B Set coach if you want a quick conversion.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived