Dewsnap Sidings

robbie

I am trying to pull together some information regarding dewsnap Sidings near Manchester. I grew up around the area in the 60's and 70's and I am looking for any information and especially photographs that I can use on my few web pages, especially without copyright infringement :)

If anyone has anything or can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged

Hi Paul, this is a brand new project and I have very little, consider it nothing. The project is to pull together some memory joggin stuff for the lads i grew up with during the 60's and 70's and have now since dispersed. So anything you can give me or point me towards will be good. Not even sure where the task will end either :)

Rob

Like HMRSPaul says a good starting point may be to get a back order copy of BRILL vol 19 part 11 August 2010.

Foxline Scenes from the Past: Woodhead Part One has a couple of pictures and a trackplan, Part Three has another image.

The Woodhead route pops up quite regularly on this forum and I have to say I've not seen many images here or on Flikr for Dewsnap. I think it was not a location that was easy to photograph and most pictures I have seen (all copyright) are taken from trains. Wath is quite similar with lots of pictures of the depot but a lot less of the yards, whereas there are lots of pictures of Mottram because of the bridge that cut across the middle of it.

Robbie

I have a copy of Trains Annual 1966 in my library. Pages 74 to 81 feature an article with photographs by G Richard Parkes entitled 'The Hazards of Shunting', featuring Mottram Yard and Dewsnap Sidings, including a track plan.

Please PM me for more 'information'.

• 9 years later...

I've seen copies of old OS maps of Dewsnap. One circa 1870s shows only about 15 sidings but a later one 1902? shows over 30. This later one shows the main yard with what would be the coal merchants siding plus a smaller yard nearer Hyde Junction, between them is line to what appears to be a building and stubs of tracks not connected to any other siding.

Does anyone know what this building was? Also when Dewsnap was first established?

GC&Mid