Hudson Road N.E.R. (1998-)

Jon Grant 4472

Some more exhibition photos

Alexandra palace (London) 2005. The night-time canopy had been rebuilt and extended and was only erected for the first time at the show. In fact we were still sawing the wood for it on the Friday night

ally_pally_2005_005.jpg

ally_pally_2005_002.jpg

ally_pally_2005_001.jpg

Three of us even built a 'Mini-Me' snow layout as part of a 'layout in a shoe box' competition. This was Austrian narrow gauge in the Alps

ally_pally_2005_004.jpg

ally_pally_2005_003.jpg

Jon

Hudson Road had to be dismantled at home so it would fit into the Ford Transit van and driven to a show, where it would be re-erected on a Friday afternoon/evening, ready for a weekend's exhibiting. After the show ended on Sunday afternoon, it would be dismantled and carted home again.

We could normally put the layout up in 2 or 3 hours, leaving us plenty of time for the pub.

Dismantling the layout in the cellar - each board piggy-backed onto the next and the legs folded up inside the boards.

5_october_004.jpg

5_october_003.jpg

5_october_002.jpg

The boards were boxed together in pairs for easy carriage, although they weighed a ton.

08_11_03_019.jpg

continued.................

Fantastic, nice to see some photos of it in an exhibition setting.

I have the RM with this in it and enjoyed the article. I was just studying the photos of the goods shed/s. I will be doing a branchline of the Ponteland Line coming of my 15'x8' layout which will be an exhibition layout. It will be LNER with the possibility of BR for a change. The way you have boxed the boards for easy cartage and painted the underneath white are excellent ideas.

thanks for showing Hudson Road to us.

Mark in OZ

• 1 year later...

Hi,

A beautiful, (and with lots of detail) layout!

Does anyone know if the e-mail from BRM has come out yet with more photos of this superb layout?  I am registered with them and it was meant to be out of the 4th Jan, but nothing yet.

Yours Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad i found this thread as i have seen the latest article and i love the idea of this railway so much i am now thinking of building one to the same sort of theme.(unfortunately i don't have the money to buy this one)  Jon do you mind if i pm you for some information please?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I found myself Googling this layout again during a moment of procrastination from work. I think it has to be the single most inspirational layout for me - I remember seeing it the magazines when I was just starting to get back into model railways, and again at Alexandra Palace. Its probably why I mainly model pre-grouping now! 

Archived