County Donegal Railcar 7/8

Burkitt

Thanks Keefer. The railcar certainly does have a charm to it, with its vintage looks but having once been the height of progress.

P3170139.JPG

Here are the various bits following a few coats of primer. A van has also got it on the spraying session.

Paul

Hi Paul

To make the louvres I stuck a layer of styrene to the bonnet side piece in the area where the louvres were to be, and drew in their position with a ruler. I then used a small file to remove material at an angle down to the lower layer, producing the louvre shape. Running the file along the top and bottom of the louvres rounded them off on the correct way. This was done before the bonnet side piece was glued to the bonnet itself, to make it easier to work with and reduce the risk of damage to the railcar.

Paul

• Like 1

Fantastic piece of work. It seems quite rare these days that someone wants something and so just goes out and builds it from scratch. These railcars have a charm of their own, I've been fascinated by them, and the Irish narrow gauge in general, ever since the Augher Valley Railway referred to above appeared in the Railway Modeller many years ago.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Poggy1165. Building completely from scratch is pretty slow but it's pretty good fun.

P5120323.JPG

I'm finally getting somewhere close to finishing painting the railcar, though there's still quite a bit to do. I initially used colours which looked right in the tin but wrong on the model for both the red and the cream, so they've needed a lot of coats before looking right. They seem to look about right at last though. I'm really hoping that when I remove the masking from the windows it won't damage the paint too much.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

good to see it coming together paul.

however long something takes, it's always nice to see it on the rails and (nearly) finished!

as often happens, i was raking about t'internet and stumbled upon this:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=34016

your colours look to be a pretty good match! other pics here:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Fintown

(the link to the donegal railway history doesn't seem to work)

cheers

• 10 years later...
  • 2 months later...