Class 86

Bartb

• 4 weeks later...

There is a pres release of the pre production model in railway modeller! only one pic tho which sucks but it doesnt look to bad!!!! still anythings better than the current offer!

chris

• RMweb Gold

I converted a Hornby 86 to a AL6 about 17 years ago, and would love a decent AL6. Lets hope the fullness of time isn't to long unsure.gif

Thanks for the reply

John

I'm guessing that you mean taking the flexicoil suspension off? In other words converting an 86/2 into an 86/0

Andi

Yes that's right Dagworth, there was an article in (Railway Modeller I think) about converting Hornby's model. Though I am more a Southern man, I do like the early electric engines. So if Heljan produce a AL6, then you can put me down for 1

John

• 1 month later...

I see the Model Rail twitter site mentions these 86s are due for shipping from the far east shortly to arrive end of March ( subject to piracy ). Just long enough for me to finish my Hornby/Bachmann hybrids. Oh well saves me a few quid and means I wont have to hack those modern detailing bits off them.

I see the Model Rail twitter site mentions these 86s are due for shipping from the far east shortly to arrive end of March ( subject to piracy ). Just long enough for me to finish my Hornby/Bachmann hybrids. Oh well saves me a few quid and means I wont have to hack those modern detailing bits off them.

I just can't wait!!!!!!!

(Except what to do with my mint boxed Hornby ones.)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the new model rail which arrived yesterday the first batch of class 86 is heading this way across the sea! To be here end of march along with class 15. Have noticed though not many pics of pre-prod or finished article available or press release from Heljan to say they are coming!

According to the new model rail which arrived yesterday the first batch of class 86 is heading this way across the sea! To be here end of march along with class 15. Have noticed though not many pics of pre-prod or finished article available or press release from Heljan to say they are coming!

Hi,

It does say that Heljan themsleves annouced that they were coming at the Numberg toy fair

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I saw a couple of the 86's at Model Rail Glasgow and I think they look superb.

I did ask the chap on the stand about the likelyhood of doing the earlier BR Blue versions.

He stated that this would require a new body tool and although they have not ruled it out, it very much depends on sales of the first versions which will dictate how the model maybe developed further in the future.

http://twitpic.com/160n39

-shows a brilliant version of early blue, unfortunately this is Alstom Heritage which means it should be the incorrect electric blue...

Joking aside, i'll have to wait to see one in the plastic before making my mind up. And before anyone comments, I know how poor the natural lighting in the SECC is. My layout was featured on a DVD cover after being photographed there, and it's so orange it ought to be on the perfume counter in Debenhams.

Might be to early to say, and dare i be the first "Rivet Counter" to cast a stone...

But looks to me as if the Heljan model suffers in a similar way to to the Bachmann Class 25's, with the cab windscreens raked too far back. Cab roof also looks a little wrong to me (Could be lighting?). Defiantly something about the face thats not sitting right with me. Of course worth waiting for comparison pictures from the production models.

As long as the wheel base is is prototypical 10' 9" I'm sure to use the bogies and power unit for powering future 87's, 85's and 81's. I certainly welcome this investment in AC electrics, may there be many more!

Regards

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree that something doesn't look quite right about the 'face' of the Anglia 86.

I've had many years watching 86s on the GEML, I got the keys to my first house which overlooked the GEML south of Ipswich the day before Ipswich to Norwich went over to electric haulage and got a right telling off from SWMBO when she turned up after work to find I hadn't done many of the jobs that I had planned to do. Well what would you have done with a grandstand view of the line from the front bedroom window - there were constant distractions by 86s, 47s, 37s, 31s, the odd 08 and even an 03!

I'll almost certainly end up with several of these but I'm seriously wondering whether my collection of Hornby body mouldings might yet have a future married to a Heljan chassis and roof details robbed from the Heljan. The Hornby body might be getting a bit long in the tooth but to me it looks right.

Martin

With the RRP set at £134.95 It'll be interesting to see how they sell.

Having seen the model in the flesh it is hard to tell how acuratly it actually represents the prototype because of the 'preaty' glossy paint jobs. To see one in grey primer would help alot.

Certainly first looks are good but then you notice that; the TDM cables are moulded on, the pantograph looks far too chunky (a scale version would be too delicate which would result in a lot of returns apparently), the fire bottles are moulded in half relef etc etc etc!

How much better the body shape and moulding is compared to the Hornby version is questionnable.

There is little doubt that the chassis is a winner - the wheel centers being correct at 43mm is a big bonus.

• RMweb Gold

I was looking forward to the Intercity 86214 'Sans Pareil' version to mix with my BR Blue stock.

But all the pictures I have found of this version are around 2000 onwards.

So now I am thinking, is this a modern "Heritage" version which is not right for mixing with BR Blue stock?

Can someone with more knowledge enlighten me before I commit to a purchase?

Thanks.

Garry

It was done like that later on 86214 in 1990 it was IC mainline... so the easiest thing to do is renumber it to a swallow example of do what im doing and buy a pair of 214's and backdate them to IC mainline :D damn expensive tho :unsure:

IC Swallow would be pushing it a bit, by this time the only wholly blue & grey sets to be seen would probably be a scratch rake of non-aircon stock for driver training with a class 90.

Knowing Heljan's propensity for releasing liveries, it shouldn't be too long before Blue, IC Executive or IC Mainline liveries become available. Any anyway, if you're going to model 86214, shouldn't it be in it's special Rainhill livery...?

Guest jim s-w

This has gotta be one of the worst RTR loco's released in years! (remember the bar is pretty high these days) Not since the Bachmann 25 has something failed so miserably to capture the look of the real thing.

I predict you will still get a more accurate looking 86 from the Hornby one. Will have to wait and see a real one before I am sure but immediate (glaring) things with the anglia one are

cab windows - completely wrong

side vents - far too tall - should be within the recess not taller than it

livery wrong - upper white band shouldn't go round the front (it doesnt help the look of the windows)

loco specific - wrong sandbox fillers - should have the sheilded type common to most anglia class 86 - No small vent in headcode box - again common to a lot of Anglia 86. Pan is too chunky but also mounted far too high - remounting it lower might help

All in from intitial impressions mostly fixable but those side vents are a disaster - might be fixable but easier to start with a Hornby one as it has 'more right' Wonder if the bodies will fit?

I will have to get one to see what i can do with the chassis but that body has gotta go.

(you might have guessed I am more than a bit disapointed!)

Cheers

Jim

Archived