Class 86

Bartb

This model has gone a bit quiet just lately.

No second batch ?

I wonder whether there are mods taking place.

I was under the impression a Freightliner Grey would be released, wouldn't surprise me if we see a Powerhaul 86637 released in 2011.

Hopefully a follow on batch will include any mods that have been raised implemented :unsure:

Hopefully a follow on batch will include any mods that have been raised implemented :unsure:

I was wondering the same as Martin, I think there were some 2011 catalogues at Warley is there any mention of a further batch?

mark

Yes please........... Even if only the pantograph.

Any further advice from anybody as to how well the first batch have sold please.

In a word (or three):

"Not very well...."

• Price?
  • Detail Errors? (People holding back hoping these might be corrected on a second batch - almost a case of 'who dares wins'.)
  • Lack of interest in the prototype? (Though with a hundred examples, a lifespan of fourty years plus, a range of liveries and a reasonble geographical spread I would find this hard to take.)

With regards to the first item I have just been on the Hattons Website. Noticed that the pre order price for the Bachmann Class 85 is £76.

This is considerably cheaper than the £98 all five current releases of the Class 86 command, although that in turn is far less than the £134 RRP.

However Hattons haven't moved the Class 86 to their bargain section - yet...........

Remembering that many of the Westerns were unloved at the time they came out, ending up in the bargain section. However there is now only one example of D1023 (current batch) left in stock as I write this.

• Price?

With regards to the first item I have just been on the Hattons Website. Noticed that the pre order price for the Bachmann Class 85 is £76.

This is considerably cheaper than the £98 all five current releases of the Class 86 command, although that in turn is far less than the £134 RRP.

However Hattons haven't moved the Class 86 to their bargain section - yet...........

I waited for ages and bought a Freightliner Class 86 for £77 from a place in Carlisle, aladins cave, was up there for a few days and found it.

He was saying his batch had not sold well at all, they are still selling them now for the same price on ebay.

I just wanted a Freightliner Grey or a Powerhaul would be nice to double up as per prototype running, might be better to buy another in the same condition and renumber it..

The 2011 catalogue is shown on a few websites but I've not seen one so I don't know what it contains..

The Heljan site doesn't show a PIP and even states the first batch as new items!!

The thing that has stopped me buying one or two is the fact it is based on the locos in their latter years, and only really the Intercity livery example is of any use to me! Unfortunately, the model can't really represent the Intercity Executive or Rail Blue eras I prefer, nor can it be easily adapted into an 86/0 for the late 1960s era. Now, if they were to introduce the earlier body style and some earlier liveries, I'd be happy to take some on - but if sales have been as bad as has been suggested, I think we've got buckley's chance of any other versions being made and more chance of the model being slowly sidelined after a few more post BR livery issues.

In fact, I can't help thinking we've got more chance of Hornby retooling their 86 to contemporary standards and releasing it as an 86/0 than Heljan doing much more with their model!

The thing that has stopped me buying one or two is the fact it is based on the locos in their latter years, and only really the Intercity livery example is of any use to me! Unfortunately, the model can't really represent the Intercity Executive or Rail Blue eras I prefer, nor can it be easily adapted into an 86/0 for the late 1960s era. Now, if they were to introduce the earlier body style and some earlier liveries, I'd be happy to take some on - but if sales have been as bad as has been suggested, I think we've got buckley's chance of any other versions being made and more chance of the model being slowly sidelined after a few more post BR livery issues.

In fact, I can't help thinking we've got more chance of Hornby retooling their 86 to contemporary standards and releasing it as an 86/0 than Heljan doing much more with their model!

Think this is a distinct possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w
I'm aware Hornby made 86901 but I prefer the look of the Heljan model.

Martin

Are you completely mad? When you say prefer the look, have you ever seen a real class 86? :) :) :)

Each to their own of course. The Hornby one is only powered on 1 bogie (just like a real class 86/9)

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Cool

£40 is my target. Once (if) they reach this price I will start buying them en-masse and fitting Hornby bodies.

Cheers

Jim

Howes might be worth looking at too, I remember not too long ago, they had a couple of HJ 86s for around the £50 mark

NL

Not now, cheapest on their website is £110.00! A bit of Googling can find them around the £79 mark. Think that's the lowest I've seen them so far.

Martin

Archived