1:87 shipping containers

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find accurate containers to put on my cheap Piko container flats. The ones that are supplied are very toy like, having no ribs! I picked up a couple of Walthers ones at a show, which were fine side-on, but then on opening them up I found the roof was completely plain with no ribbing or inscriptions- I'm not totally sure whether all containers have ribs on the top, but certainly the ones I see down here are, Also, I thought all had roof inscriptions for the crane operator's benefit?

If I'm wrong about the top detail, that's great, and I can carry on using the Walthers ones which are readily available. If there should be relief on the top, as well as lettering, can anyone recommend a make who represent this detail correctly.

It's international TEU style containers I'm modelling, for use in Germany.

Thanks

walther makes a bunch of 1:87 containers in 20, 40, 53 ft sizes, very good ones too.

Hi,

I have picked up a couple of Walthers ones, they're the ones with plain tops I mentioned in my first post. I happened on a couple of real containers today, both had ribs on the top as well as the container's number, so at this stage my hunch is that the Walthers one's aren't quite the job. It's strange that the top should be lacking, as the underside seems correct!

Hi,

I have picked up a couple of Walthers ones, they're the ones with plain tops I mentioned in my first post. I happened on a couple of real containers today, both had ribs on the top as well as the container's number, so at this stage my hunch is that the Walthers one's aren't quite the job. It's strange that the top should be lacking, as the underside seems correct!

Not all the Walthers come with plain tops, today at my LHS there had a large selection of walthers and Athearn containers, most of the Walthers had ribs on top, but there were some that were smooth. all the Athearn had ribs.

Guys, just for reference, I work in a container port and many containers have smooth sides/roofs and many have ribbed sides/roofs. Containers with smooth sides are temperature controlled, usually with a Refer (refrigeration) motor at the front, though some rely on air blowers on ships to keep them cool and just the insulation on rail and trucks until the destination is reached, such products would be fruit and veg or flowers etc, those with built in refers will be deep cool units, -5C to -20C and consist of mainly frozen food, though they can also be used for chilled products like Bananas and other fruit/veg as well but just set to +3-5 Deg C.

Ribbed sided containers are for everything else from TV's, Cars, Cuddly toys and Xmas cards (I kid you not, just had a batch of 3x20' weighting 28tons a piece full of Xmas cards pass through).

If its ribbed sides then it'll be ribbed roofed, smooth sides and smooth roof, not yet ever seen one with mixed sides or roofs.

We also have lots of Flat Racks or Gondolas and you can also get canvas topped boxes as well for lifting in goods that would be a tight squeeze through the doors, things like heavy machinery etc.

Some images to peruse.

Enjoy

Michael

Addendum, the only open top image I could find was these located on the aft deck of the MSC Matilde, they're carrying reels of cable, generally speaking neither flat racks or open tops travel by rail, Ive Seen a few empty open tops and some open tops with a cargo that doesn't stick out more than 12" in 8' 6" box, but I've never seen a flat rack on a rail wagon, certainly not in the UK, might be different overseas with there extra loading gauge.

post-4086-12583009039518_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583009139421_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583009252847_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583009711649_thumb.jpg

post-4086-1258300984002_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583009948518_thumb.jpg

post-4086-125830100553_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583010147986_thumb.jpg

post-4086-12583026704761_thumb.jpg

Walthers has older and newer tooling for containers - quick summary - numbers refer to part numbers as used on Walthers site so if you search there on Walthers products, HO and keyword "Containers" you'll find these ranges:

15xx - 40' x 8' x 8'6" deep sea box - nice tooling, the only one Walthers do with separate door locking bars at the mo

17xx - 40' x 8' x 9'6" deep sea box - old tooling, this is the one with the incorrect flat roof, also logo panels which are fairly rare these days

175x - 20' x 8' x 8'6" deep sea box - old tooling with logo panels, but they have got roof ribs on this one!

18xx - 48' x 102" x 9'6" N.A. Domestic box - ribbed & smooth side versions available

185x - 40' x 8' x 9'6" deep sea reefer box - nice tooling, correctly a smooth roof, but the box is not in the same style as most modern reefers

195x - 20' x 8' x 8'6" framed tank container

200x - 20' x 8' x 8'6" deep sea box - newer tooling, fully corrugated sides & roof

205x - 40' x 8' x 9'6" deep sea box - newer tooling, fully corrugated sides & roof

So - if you stick to the 15xx, 200x and 205x ranges with maybe an occasional 195x then you can do fairly well - they do respond to a little detail painting such as touching in the door locking bars.

Archived