1/72 or 1/76 lifeboats

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking for kits of modern(ish) lifeboats in OO scale or so. I've got the Airfix one of the Severn class. I vaugely remember an article in Model Rail a few years ago about building an RNLI boat, which i think was then put on a cradle with a tractor. Can't remember the manufacturer though. I'm also looking for foreign life boats if anyone knows of them (i have both Revell kits of the Arkona and Hermann Marwede).

Ah.... I know whats best for you! Cararama's lifeboat set. Its a Rangerover, and Life boat all in RNLI colours and carrying the logos. You can also get a Landrover, with boat in HM Coastguard livery. If you check the link out, Im sure its what you are wanting. Its not a kit though, but just a thought.

http://www.m-s-i-m.co.uk/cararama_boats.htm

• RMweb Premium

Langley make a lifebaot that is modernish but its the only onw I'm aware of in this scale apart from those you've alreadty mentioned.

Langley Rother Lifebaot

Nice looking kit, but have you seen the price! :O 55 quid :blink: My Hermann MArwede kit was only 30, and thats huge. Still, that's a resin kit for you i guess.

• Like 1

Nice looking kit, but have you seen the price! ohmy.gif 55 quid blink.gif My Hermann MArwede kit was only 30, and thats huge. Still, that's a resin kit for you i guess.

Yes it is a bit pricey and I have no idea how good it is!

Have you built the Hermann yet? I'm building it at the moment (although not as Hermann) and enjoying it very much.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is a bit pricey and I have no idea how good it is!

Have you built the Hermann yet? I'm building it at the moment (although not as Hermann) and enjoying it very much.

Yep, Hermann is currently occupying most of my modeling desk. So what are you building it as, because Hermann is the only one of her class. Is it a 'what if'? Its a good kit, and quite different to my usual modelling. Its strange painting it as i go, rather than building it then painting it (like with trains and planes), you just can't do that with a ship. I've been doing a lot of building out of instruction sequence, as the instructions way would take for ever and be boring. Its an amazing ship, love the little daughter boat, great idea. Huge ship, completly dwarfs my RNLI Severn Class lifeboat.

Yep it is indeed a 'what if' - I am painting mine in the colours of ABP to represent a vessel working out of Southampton. I am making some slight changes as I go too but I'm no expert on shipping so I'm sure it is a highly unlikely scenario I'm creating, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

I'm just awaiting some LEDs before I move along as I'm planning to add lights both inside and out. I then have the Severn class and the Arkona on the workbench ready to go after this one is finished! It feels a bit like the start of a completely new hobby!!

I assume you've built the Severn already? Any tips?

• RMweb Premium

Yep it is indeed a 'what if' - I am painting mine in the colours of ABP to represent a vessel working out of Southampton. I am making some slight changes as I go too but I'm no expert on shipping so I'm sure it is a highly unlikely scenario I'm creating, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

I'm just awaiting some LEDs before I move along as I'm planning to add lights both inside and out. I then have the Severn class and the Arkona on the workbench ready to go after this one is finished! It feels a bit like the start of a completely new hobby!!

I assume you've built the Severn already? Any tips?

No i'm building the Severn alongside. No real tips yet, just paint it as you go like the other ships, and this one you will need to follow the instructions closer as you can't really do any out of sequence work.

What is ABP? I've though of getting a second Hermann and making it into an RNLI boat, would look amazing in blue and orange. Might try photoshop first though. I'm planning on having a harbour somewhere with an international lifeboat conference, hence all the various ships i'm building. I'm trying to find other boats too, like Dutch or French. No luck yet.

ABP = Associated British Ports who own and run Southampton Docks. I've taken the livery (is that the right term for boats?) from their pilot and harbour patrol vessels and applied it to Hermann.

I keep meaning to start a thread showing my progress but haven't got around to it yet! I may well start on the other two as well, then there is always something to work on! Not quite sure what I'm going to do with Arkona yet but the RNLI boat will be built as an RNLI boat!

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of seeing some photos of your efforts, I'm sure there are people on here who would like to see them... Me being one of them..

Ask and you shall receive :D

gallery_2042_382_12883.jpg

This is Hermann Marwede in all her glory. Getting on quite well so far, main structures are largely finished now. Infront are various bits being painted, including the heli-pad and mast. With ship models i have found it is best to paint parts before you attach them, then just touch up as needed. Going to be a really good boat when finished. Planning to make it a removable part of a harbour scene.

gallery_2042_382_67455.jpg

This is Hermann's 'daughter boat'. All of the DZgRS (German equivalent of the RNLI) boats carry them to allow easier rescue operations. It goes up a ramp at the back of Hermann, under the heli-pad. This boat is basically finished apart from the mast and transfers. Have to make the mast collapseble so it can go in its garage. Instructions say to glue it up or down, but where's the fun in that :P Going to make it movable, and the garage doors openable too.

If your intrested i'll post further detail photos and an update when it progresses further.

I'm looking for kits of modern(ish) lifeboats in OO scale or so. I've got the Airfix one of the Severn class. I vaugely remember an article in Model Rail a few years ago about building an RNLI boat, which i think was then put on a cradle with a tractor. Can't remember the manufacturer though. I'm also looking for foreign life boats if anyone knows of them (i have both Revell kits of the Arkona and Hermann Marwede).

I think that the RNLI did/do models of lifeboats, but I don't thnik they are kits.

Stu

• 10 years later...
On 13/11/2009 at 22:31, RANGERS said:

D & M Models did a few kits a few years back, they turn up on Ebay from time to time although I did see one for sale in a lifeboat Station last year.

Thought I'd best post as this topic still shows up high in Google search results.

I'd never heard of d&m but on the back of the above managed to find one of the Waveney class. It looks to be nearer 1/98 scale and is a full 3 scale metres short in OO.

A 3D printed Mersey is now available for those who may be interested though.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

keep an eye on Scalescenes - John has one and a lifeboat station high up on his list of forthcoming kits!

It'd be nice if it were a Watson class boat, a very broad lifespan, depending on particular sub-class.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson-class_lifeboat

53 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Although with the lockdown, we might have to rethink that traditional "hat, coat..." line? Or am I just in denial ... 

During the Emergency, I'm hiding in the cupboard under the stairs. (along with the hat, coat, etc...)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Corgi did an RNLI set recently.  This included a Land Rover, Trailer and inshore inflatable lifeboat.  The Inflatable is quoted as 1:83 - a tad small but you could get away with it?  [I intend to on tow.]   Unfortunately the Shannon is 1:136 and the Severn 1:173.  Another plus side was that for every set sold, at least £1.40 went to the RNLI.

• Like 1

So I've spent quite some time looking around for suitable lifeboat models recently and arrived at the following:

• for a D-class, the Majorette dinghy scales out almost perfectly. It's a little crude in places but is plastic and a good base for detailing. The similar Siku boat doesn't measure up well.
  • for an Atlantic 75, the following also scales our almost perfectly. It's a lovely model but not cheap in OO and doesn't have a full hull version: https://www.shapeways.com/product/AS2CFEACE/rigid-inflatable-boat-1-148?optionId=149358120&li=ostatus. I'll be detailing one to RNLI spec in due course.
  • As mentioned above, Dragon Badger models has some 3D printed lifeboats and accessories in his range. The printing is a little crude and will take some tidying up but they look like the basis of some good models. Note that the RIB is not based on an RNLI boat.

I've yet to find a good base model for an Atlantic 21, Atlantic 85 or Arancia, so if anyone does pick up the RNLI land rover set I'd be interested in seeing the dimensions.

Edited by Ragtag

Was having a look at some of the boats mentioned above and thought a pic may help.

From left to right:

-Airfix Severn

-Dragon Badger Mersey

-Shapeways Atlantic 75

-Majorette D-class

-Airfix Y-class

All of these are to scale, or close enough. To the right are the Cararama lifeboat and the Siku RIB. As can be seen both of these are too small for the Atlantic and too large for the D-class.20200410_131245.jpg.31bf141c8fd1e25ff83a1e79d5085d78.jpg

Edited by Ragtag