Gee Dee Models, Nottingham

Welly

• RMweb Gold

Really sorry to read about this closure. Gee Dee is part of my history and one of the "old" names in the business. I used to use this shop when I was a teenager in Nottingham when it was a "must" to visit after catching the bus to the City on Saturdays. Unfortunately (for me) that was over 50 years ago and it is too far away to use now.

Very sad.

• RMweb Premium

I called in today, there is a 20% sale on lots of items, a lot of Hornby coach deals available, other 00, N, book offers. They say they'll be closing early December. Removing another reason to go into Nottingham! Anyone been to the Broadmarsh Centre recently? Best avoided.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

The one on Arkwright Street before the old meadows were swept away? A large chunk of my vinyl collection came from there.

Wonder if there'll be further reductions at Gee Dee before closing day?

And, of course, in the early sixties there was Arkwright Model shop.

Bit of a cave like place as I remember (possibly wrongly) but I bought my first and second Triang Jinties there.

Not sure which year it closed.

Edit: Just realised that it was actually called Attenborough Model Railways.

Found this link: https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/NTGM018610/posterid/NTGM018610.html

Edited by highpeakman

And, of course, in the early sixties there was Arkwright Model shop.

Bit of a cave like place as I remember (possibly wrongly) but I bought my first and second Triang Jinties there.

Not sure which year it closed.

Edit: Just realised that it was actually called Attenborough Model Railways.

Found this link: https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/NTGM018610/posterid/NTGM018610.html

Attenborough model railways moved to premises on Derby road, possibly as part of a stationary business, if I recall correctly. May have moved before the Meadows redevelopment, I don't recall seeing the shop when I used to go to Selectadisc, then again I'd lost all interest in railways at the time. Saw the Derby road shop after I started driving so that would be 1971 or later.

The owner was certainly doing shows still in the mid 70s.

The AMR locospotters club, at least I think that was it's name, was based at the shop. Did a good few shed bashing trips with my dad on their tours. They also organised a special train called the Don-Yor-Dar flyer hauled by the Midland Compound. I still have the tickets for that somewhere I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of heading to the shop tomorrow morning on my way from Bristol to Doncaster. Is there still a lot of stock there? 

Rich

There was quite a lot of Hornby, esp coaches & Bachmann, last Thursday.

• 2 months later...

I was in there yesterday, it was looking very sorry for itself but the shelves are not yet bare and there are plenty of bargains left over. Apparently the original owner has been running it for 72 years and is now 88, the doors are expected to close between the 15th of January and the start of February. I went in and took advantage of their 20% off everything- I could have spent even more if I wasn’t trying to keep my engine numbers down.

• RMweb Premium

I was in there yesterday, it was looking very sorry for itself but the shelves are not yet bare and there are plenty of bargains left over. Apparently the original owner has been running it for 72 years and is now 88, the doors are expected to close between the 15th of January and the start of February. I went in and took advantage of their 20% off everything- I could have spent even more if I wasn’t trying to keep my engine numbers down.

That must be unbelievably soul-destroying for the owner - seeing a lifetime's work slowly being destroyed :cry:

That must be unbelievably soul-destroying for the owner - seeing a lifetime's work slowly being destroyed :cry:

The amazing thing is that this is a well-stocked model shop covering a range of hobbies in a prime city location, with no shortage of clientele to keep it going. What it needs is an owner to take it into the next 72 years of operation. It has recently featured on local television which apparently brought in a number of new clients, which in conjunction with GMRC should have given it a future.

The amazing thing is that this is a well-stocked model shop covering a range of hobbies in a prime city location, with no shortage of clientele to keep it going. What it needs is an owner to take it into the next 72 years of operation. It has recently featured on local television which apparently brought in a number of new clients, which in conjunction with GMRC should have given it a future.

The business is a very viable one, unfortunately the asking price meant that, unless you had a lot of capital behind you, it would have meant a substantial loan to meet the asking prices long with the purchase of stock at value.

Don't forget Skills on Peverill Street, with the blue footprints on the floor that lead you from one part of the shop to the other :)

Ah, Skills. I have very happy memories of my Dad and I visiting there as well as Gee Dee’s many a loco and piece of rolling stock purchased from both! Both shops gave friendly service and were more preferred by me and Dad than Beatties.
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Gee Dee Models have now closed Monday - Friday.

They are open this Saturday 09th February from 10 am - 4.00 pm to clear remaining stock.

They may be open the following Saturday  16th February, this will depend on remaining stock and staff being available  (check there website nearer the time)

Ge Dee.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/02/2019 at 16:47, EE 8SVT said:

Gee Dee Models have now closed Monday - Friday.

They are open this Saturday 09th February from 10 am - 4.00 pm to clear remaining stock.

They may be open the following Saturday  16th February, this will depend on remaining stock and staff being available  (check there website nearer the time)

Ge Dee.JPG

Latest news RE:- Gee Dee Models

They will be open on the following dates:

Tuesday 12th February 

Saturday 16th February 

Tuesday 19th February

Saturday 23rd February

opening hours are 10.00am-4.00pm on these days only,phone calls will only be answered between these hours on the above dates.

please note that the store will be closed on the following weekdays Mon/Wed/Thu & Friday.

will advise if any changes, or if any dates beyond the 23rd Feb. 

was asked to post this by a member of staff.

Edited by EE 8SVT
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...