Gee Dee Models, Nottingham

Welly

With all that nostalgic talk of Nottingham model/toy shops of yore, no-one mentioned Beecrofts, which were over the hill from Gee Dee's Goose Gate shop, on Pelham Street. When I walked 'into town' in the 50s and 60s I had a double treat of window shopping as both shops' frontages were quite extensive and well stocked. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello RMweb Readers ,

I have been asked to post this, on behalf of the Gee Dee Models Ltd team.

Gee Dee Models Limited news update:

Although it has taken considerably longer than originally planned, the store was finally re-launched at the end of March 2020, initially via an on-line eBay store.

The link to the eBay site is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/geedeemodelsltd

Gee Dee Models  Ltd.jpg

More information with be posted RE: - future developments shortly.

Regards

Gee Dee Models team

Edited by EE 8SVT
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 09/08/2020 at 12:30, EE 8SVT said:

Hello RMweb Readers ,

Gee Dee Models Limited news update:

Although it has taken considerably longer than originally planned, the store was finally re-launched at the end of March 2020, initially via an on-line eBay store.

The link to the eBay site is:

Gee Dee Models  Ltd.jpg

More information with be posted RE: - future developments shortly.

Regards

Gee Dee Models team

I wish them very good luck with the venture, but it’s not a substitute for Gee Dee Models as an actual shop. Just yet another online seller.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just exactly how many do we need then?

Mike.

Since we've just lost one (Track Shack), the total number stays the same, so despite your worries, the Internet isn't filling up with online model shops. There will be space for other things.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I wish them very good luck with the venture, but it’s not a substitute for Gee Dee Models as an actual shop. Just yet another online seller.

Behind the scene, a lot of work has gone into getting this far. If setting up a successful physical model shop was easy, everyone would be doing it. The intention is to go further, but as @AY Mod says, it's a useful interim.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Just to reinforce why I've taken a supportive stance of Gee Dee this is the description from their ebay page with the important bits highlighted .

Welcome to the new Gee Dee Models eBay Shop relaunched in March 2020. The company was originally founded back in 1946 and sadly closed for business in Nottingham in March 2019. The new Gee Dee Models is owned and run by former staff, who are all active modellers with over 70 years’ experience between them within the model trade. We will soon be starting an internet trading site along with our eBay shop with the eventual aim of opening a retail outlet in our local area. Our aim is to provide a broad range of models and accessories at competitive prices, whilst offering good customer service. We look forward to welcoming previous customers back, along with new customers as we continue to re-establish this iconic name in the world of modelling.

The interim position is better than the complete loss of a well-regarded shop.

• Like 16

Absolutely agree with Andy; getting a physical shop up and running is challenging during the best of times, and Covid19 means that we are not in the best of times right now. If an initial online presence is the first step towards getting back to a physical presence in Nottingham, then I'm fully behind that and I wish them every success.

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates. Even as I hit send I realised that it may be misconstrued in an overly negative way.  The loss of Gee Dee was a big hole in the retail world and I meant that an online retailer wasn’t going to plug it even with the good name. I hope they go manage to resurrect the retail element and I’d be an early visitor for sure.  Speaking for myself, my relationship with physical shops is very different to online. Online I have no loyalty and price wins out. Physical shops I build a relationship with and enjoy the visit and the whole experience. Ten online stores will never be a substitute for a little local shop. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Thanks for the updates. Even as I hit send I realised that it may be misconstrued in an overly negative way.  The loss of Gee Dee was a big hole in the retail world and I meant that an online retailer wasn’t going to plug it even with the good name. I hope they go manage to resurrect the retail element and I’d be an early visitor for sure.  Speaking for myself, my relationship with physical shops is very different to online. Online I have no loyalty and price wins out. Physical shops I build a relationship with and enjoy the visit and the whole experience. Ten online stores will never be a substitute for a little local shop. 

Well I am the opposite.

With a shortage of physical model shops, which have been dwindling for years I will use an online store and build up a loyalty with them, only going elsewhere if they don't have the item(s) I want in stock.

TBH the model shop in every High Street is history, even those with a physical presence will do most of their business online.

As it happens most well known "box shifters" also have drop in premises as well. There are very few online only establishments in the big league.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

There are very few online only establishments in the big league.

None at all. Because you need a physical store if you want to buy product from Bachmann and Peco, it's in the T&C. Both companies see the benefit of physical shops and support them.

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I will use an online store and build up a loyalty with them

How do you do that? To them, you are just another remote customer on the website. In a physical store, the owner knows me and will let me know if anything I want comes in. He will also tweak discounts for regulars.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

How do you do that? To them, you are just another remote customer on the website. In a physical store, the owner knows me and will let me know if anything I want comes in. He will also tweak discounts for regulars.

By earning loyalty points?

As there no physical model shops I can easily get to It's all rather academic.

• 10 months later...

Hello RMweb Readers ,

Gee Dee Models are celebrating 75 years since the company was original founded on the 24th June 1946.

Obviously a few changes over the last few years, with the sad closure of the Heatcoate Street shop,  at present we are an on-line  store only, but we aim to be back in brick's and mortar premises, when the time is right, in the meantime why not pay a visit to our store : 

More information with be posted soon.

Regards

Gee Dee Models team

75th-anniversary-golden-edition_1017-5219.jpg

Edited by EE 8SVT
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 24/06/2021 at 23:47, pete_mcfarlane said:

I see that the old Gee Dee shop is going to be turned into the inevitable student flats. Which pretty much sums up the downward trajectory of Nottingham city centre over the last decade or so. 

At least the eyesore that is the Broadmarsh centre in being demolished.....maybe next the Victoria centre could be redeveloped with a railway station? :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1